LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The joy of anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The joy of anxiety
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello to all you strong Lymies out there. I am a recovering sickie that is almost back to normal, but I still struggle a lot with anxiety.

I feel ridiculous, since I have so many phobias and obsessive compulsive tendencies. I wake up every morning to fight the daily battle, but I'm tired of it. What has helped all of you cope? It's frustrating - I know the truth, but I wish the feeling of peace would come.

The way I look at it, once my digestion settles down (the herbals I'm taking are curing me), my hormone levels come back up, and vitamin deficiencies improve, my anxiety should cure itself as well.

Have some of the rest of you struggled with this? It seems like no matter how many happy thoughts I try to think, I still have a body-produced anxiety that doesn't want to go away. Could someone give me hope that someday it will? It's not in my head, I just need to believe it.

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There IS hope that it will go away, with sufficient treatment.

Anxiety was one of my earliest lyme symptoms, along with a few other physical symptoms like muscle pain. And it has been one of the last to go away; but it is going away!

I have been on antibiotics for over two years, and through babesia treatment. Find a good llmd and keep treating, because it feels so good to regain peace of mind.

Based on my experience, anxiety is caused by several of the tick borne diseases; lyme, bartonella and babesia.

Meantime, what always helped me was a good therapist and herbal stuff like chamomile.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, I've had this for years at a time for the past 12 years, then my body can fight the Lyme for awhile, it goes away, and then it comes back. I've been having panic attacks/anxiety for awhile now. It's hard to me to go shopping. Right now I'm not driving anywhere by myself.

This is the hardest thing for me. One thing that helps for me is freshly juiced carrots and barley grass (the taste is really gross though, I have to plug my nose, I caught my 2 year old drinking water and plugging her nose the other day, immatating mommy!).

I've considered trying Lexapro, I know a few people who have had good results with it. I just am not wanting to take any drugs, haven't started my antibiotic yet!

Rescue Remedy has helped a lot, but if you take it when you are already at a level 10 panic, it takes ALOT of it to calm me down. Otherwise, it can help in the early stages to keep from becoming full blown.

If you find anything that helps, let us know!!

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you. Anxiety has taken control of me for many years.

I do not contribute the anxiety to lyme itself, but of what the illness has done.
My panic and anxiety came years before I got sick with lyme.

But when I was on the bulk of abx and had to leave my job, that's when the anxiety really hit

I never took meds for the anxiety though. I went all natural, changed my diet, started to exercise again and I'm also in Coganative therapy which seems to have helped the most.

Changing my thoughts have really helped.

I know your hell and I really hope you feel better :-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since this lyme crap started, Ive had two symptoms that just persist.... One of them was anxiety.

During the past few yrs Ive developed the following routines to help with anxiety. If it can help any here, by all means, use it:

-Deep Breath (20-40 deep breaths, muscle relaxation, mantra, etc.), in through nose, out through mouth (purse lips like blowing out candles)

-body posture: look up at the ceiling, relax the neck/shoulders, smooth the forehead, ... SMILE!

-Stay in the present moment. Move attention from inside your body to legs, arms, outside surroundings.

-Great quote I use "...Get out of your head, and into your life...";

-do a mindfulness scan: from toes to neck...whats going on? Listen to what your body is saying.

-Mindfulness/submission: Let it happen-submit (allow adrenaline to flow in your bloodstream..it will dissipate in your body)
Remember: ..."the more you fight the adrenaline rush, the stronger anxiety gets"...

-focus on an object: describe in detail..concentrate; as if describing to an invisible person...size, color, texture, etc..

-slow your thinking, Laugh and Smile, ..you're not going crazy, you're not going to die...
Remember: ...crazy people don't know they're crazy, they just are...

-Keep it positive...avoid negative thought patterns...replace any negative thoughts with positive ones..
Freeze the attack...concentrate on heart while slow breathing, replace with past negative though with a postive thought

-Visualize (mentally put yourself someplace happy... a fond memory...or feeling)

-get mad at it (Take Control... mentally feel and mean it...or say it..let it out, dont hold back your anger, fear or energy.)

-Write down your feelings (express your feelings, let it out, ....and then let it go)... throw the paper away..

-Talk with Someone (express feelings to a supportive, positive person)..vent...but..don't dwell on it... vent for 5 minutes, then you're done. Don't continue to over analyze every feeling, pain, or twinge... Stop the "what if" game...

-Do something else, get up and move (change your environment, activity, etc.)..but..not habit forming avoidance. Dont avoid situations or anxiety triggers.

-Help others. Take your mind off your problems by helping a relative, friend, neighbor.

-Yoga/Tai Chi (controlled breathing and stretching together)

-Exercise (aerobic movement, break a sweat)

-Triggers: If you know your triggers...make a list of them with solutions to them...but.. don't avoid them!!

-Music: listen to either mellow music...or your favorite music...(helps our brain to retrain itself for enjoyment)

-Get involved: Be in the company of those you love, and who love you...cultivate relationships.

-Eat Properly (fruits, veggies, whole grains) and get plenty of sleep...at least 8-10 hours a day...

Thats a lot of information to digest. Ill leave everyone with this last thought:

( Romans 8:38 ) ". . .neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Remember: You are never alone, God is right there with you...so allow God to take control...

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wimenin,
What a great post! Thank you for that. I'm going to print out your suggestions.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says its all associated with Lyme and co-infections and of course the die off from treatment. He says kill the bugs get rid of the toxins and it WILL go although sadly it is one of the last symptoms to go.

I never experienced any anxiety before treating Lyme but in Herx's it goes way of the scale.

I just hear all the time from patients that get better you have to treat agressivly and make sure you treat the Co-infections and then it will go - for some that can be a long while.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge symptom!

i had to take Xanax and Zoloft along with my antibiotic protocol for 3 years. Don't be worried to ask for the supportive meds that you need.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this too. I am about 80% better after 5-6 months abx, but can't get rid of the anxiety.

Would love to be able to do this as its the most annoying and terrible feeling.

Mine has got worse lately since I increased my rifampin dose from 300mg to 600mg per day. I hope its because its killing those little bugggers.

Thanks for the tips on helping get through the bad times. I'll take them on board.

I just hope one day that I can be rid of this.

Kelly

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's great to know that there are other people who share some of the same struggles as I have. As you put it, it is "A most annoying and terrible feeling."

The list is outstanding, and I'll try to put them into practice.

Does diet affect a person's anxiety a lot? What about meds?

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Common anxiety symptoms:
Restlessness
Flushing
Headaches
negative thoughts (doom)-panic
racing thoughts
Nervous stomache-nausea
Chest Pains
Neck, eye pain-tension
shortness of breath
Dizziness
Hot and cold flashes or sweating
Tingling in the body
Surreal, out of control feeling
Fear of death, going crazy
Trembling or Shaking
Want to cry
numbness/tingling lips, jaw
dry mouth

Some things that can cause anxiety...
-stress
-diet
-exercise
-geneology
-medications
-supplements
-compromised immune system
-traumatic events
-combination w migraine

If all of the physiological problems have been fixed, and anxiety still resides, then other treatment methods include that long list I provided, cognitive therapy, and different anxiety/panic disorder methods, such as the 9 pillars (Linden method)..

Linden Method-9 pillars include:
-stop seeing drs for anxiety and odd symptoms.
-stop researching odd symptoms on internet or library.
-stop talking about anxiety with friends/family or on internet
-keep mind and body busy with hobbies you're passionate about.
-eat natural fruits, vegatables, meats, whole grains and avoid sugars and processed foods.
-get plenty of sleep and maintain sleep pattern 7 days a week.
-exercise, yoga, listen to mellow music often.
-dont avoid any activities or alter your lifestyle because of anxiety.
-stop using meds and drugs meant for anxiety.
-don't combine treatment methods...do this one method only

Thats an awful lot to digest about anxiety.

Perhaps the best advice is the simplest.. just breath. When all else fails, simply slow down, and breath. Its hard to remember all the other methods, but everyone, at any age, can remember the simple thought... just breath.

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there [Smile]

Well, I fought it for at least ten years before I went to a Doctor for help. I tried 10 different anti-depressants and they all gave me a really bad stomach ache so that options was gone for me.

Now I take Klonopin for the anxiety, which by the way is every day! I do well on Klonopin and take the smallest dose they make and then cut that in half.

I took Martial Arts for a good 8 years and learned all kinds of relaxation and control things but when a bad anxiety attack hits you out of the blue, for me anyhow nothing works but the Klonopin.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found all of the SSRI antidepressants to be hugely helpful for anxiety. I think Klonipan or Ativan or Xanax are great to have when it gets really bad, because you can literally take one and be in a calm and relaxed state in short order.

However an antidepressant, which most people tolerate fine, can level off the chemistry in your brain and make the anxiety go away, or be minimal.

I find these drugs have helped most people. You'll hear some naysayers here, but I can speak from both personal experience and many people I know when I say it can improve your quality of life tenfold.

Lexapro is a great choice. There are also others.

I don't know why anyone would want to suffer so much when it can be so easily helped, in many cases. We treat everything else we need to, why would we not treat this, which is a very physical, medical symptom?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tracy

I agree and would have liked to go the antidepressant route, which is why I tried so many and there were even more to try but my Doc and me agreed to go the Klonopin route.

The good thing is although I have been taking them every day now for about two years, I have not increased my dosage except for once in a great while when I'm really really bad! [Big Grin]

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B and M
Member # 13544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B and M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew I was fighting anxiety. I was always getting nervous about work things but nothing big.

I can laugh about it now, but I went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago.

I had the biggest anxiety attack of my life in the middle of a root canal. I couldn't breath, I couldn't swallow.

I ripped that damn rubber dam off my face.

There was no way they were putting it back on.

They they temped up to to get me out of there.

I was so upset my wife had to come in and help me out to the car. On the way to the car, I started crying. I think it lasted for 45 minutes before I calmed down.

But Then...I realized I had to go back to get it finished.

My wife was herxing too bad to drive me, I was on my own.

I was ready, I had 2 valiums in my hand. Wehn I got about 10 minutes away I took them.

By the time the took me to the chair, i was calm....real calm.

Novacaine...hey that hurts

Dam around tooth...I a little concerned here.

The drilling starts....We need to do something

Luckily, I was able to click my heels three times and say, there no place like home.

I went to my happy place

Until I spelled something burning

I opened my eyes ad noticed it comming out of my mouth.

This can't be good.....now we're back to pretty nervous.

There handing things back and forth making sure I cannot see....Houston, we have a problem

I asked "how long"....suprisingly he understood

"five minutes" ..... I said, "six and I'm out of here"

I watched the second hand on a clock for the next 5:17. That was cutting it close.

Bottom Line, I never knew anxiety would ever hit me like that, I was to much in control of my emotions.

It doesn't matter, I need to talk to my doctor about it.

If anyone else is starting to feel it, talk to your doctor.

Before you make a fool of your self in a dentist's office!

Posts: 65 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

B and M, Thanks for your story! This is why I haven't gone to the dentist in almost 2 years, I will not be able to handle it! I need to go, I wish I could go, but....but....

Hey, at least you went back in and finished the job. Well done!

Today I had severe anxiety in the grocery store. They were having a little Halloween thing for kids. There we are, hubby, 7, 5, and 2 year old and me. Lights seem very bright, too bright. So many packages and things to see. I start getting dizzy, what if something is wrong?! Is it my heart? Now I can't breathe, I breathlessly tell hubby I need his cell phone and the car keys. He hands them over and I race out of the store.

I'm surprised a store employee didn't stop me, thinking I was shop lifting, I was booking it.

I'm still alive. I cried while I sat in the car and watched another mom, a 'normal' mom fixing her kid's costume after getting him out of the car, he was a black spider and the mom was fixing the legs.

I thought of my kids. In the store (at least with Dad), wondering what happened to me.

I talked to my mom on the phone and walked back in the store. They were done, but I went back in.

Later, my 7 year old asked why I cry sometimes.

Ugh.

I don't want to live like this forever.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement