LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast infections, what do you do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast infections, what do you do?
jagb09
Member # 14713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jagb09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am in my 9th month of treatment.

Currently on Mepron, ceftin and zithromax.

In my 2nd week of this treatment, another yeast infection!

I had one with the last round of ab's, and treated with over the counter stuff.

Today, I said, forget it and got a script for fluconazole.

Never had a yeast problem the previous 8 months of treatment, why now?

I think maybe the "bad" stuff is getting killed and it could be a herx of sorts? Could that be possible?

or

is my immune system so shot right now that this is happening?

I eat yogurt, take probiotics, never helps.

Any suggestions? [confused]

Posts: 59 | From stratford, CT | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jagb09
Member # 14713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jagb09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bumping for help
Posts: 59 | From stratford, CT | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my theory on yeast flareups during a hard hex...it only makes sense.....

first you ARE slamming yourself with abx.....letting the yeasty get a leg up.

second....yeast feeds off of bacterial waste...so, guess what sista...kill alot bacteria...and FEED a lot of YEAST!!!!!!!!

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeast & candida Lymetoo/TUTU's links:

Candida diet and elimination:
Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
Yeast Infection, The Silent Epidemic from dentist, docdave
, 8-07
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=068288#000001

CANDIDA,,,WHAT LLMDS ARE MISSING by Bugg, .7.7.08..excellent!
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068694

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have yeast problems until almost exactly a year into antibiotics. I wasn't herxing or anything special. I don't know why it started, but so far nothing has really fixed the yeast. I feel toxic.

i hope you have better luck!

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jl123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jl123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "what doctors are missing" doc link does not work. If there is another link please post. thanks, JL
Posts: 268 | From new york city | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take brewers yeast, so this is an occasional problem for me too.

Old fashioned solution is to do a white vinegar and water douche. Really works. Mix your own though, don't buy the store stuff. Too expensive, and some have perfumes.

I also double up on the Probiotics. Usually resolves in a couple of days without drugs.

Also, some vaseline on the outside helps if the tissue is inflamed.

Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to call your doctor. You could need a prescription for Nystatin or Diflucan to get a head start on reducing your yeast. It depends on what other yeast symtoms you have.

For Probiotics I take on average 70 - 100 billion cultures a day and alternate brands. Its not the amount of cultures but the number of STRAINS in your probiotics. Look for the refrigerated ones with lots of strains in them.

This is what I do.

1. Take lots of good REFRIGERATED probiotics/acidophilus with high # of strains
2. Take Antifungals to KILL YEAST
3. LOW CARB/LOW SUGAR DIET
4. Oral Mouth Care

Probiotics put back all the GOOD bacteria the abx kills off and you need to keep taking these months AFTER you stop abx.

What works for me is to take 2-3 kinds of probiotics A DAY, refrigerated ones are the most potent. You can get some of these at your local health food store and they may have better brands. Or you LLMD may carry a very good brand.

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care (50 Billion) 10 strains

Renew Life Critical Care Vaginal Support
(probiotic to fight yeast)

Theralac Probiotic
http://www.theralac.com/

Professional Strengnth probiotic ordered by LLMD:
Iflora YC 7 (specifically for yeast)
http://www.sedonalabspro.com/iflora_yc_7.html

Iflora Professional Strengnth Acidophilus
(20 Billion-16 strains) doctor can order

Here are few popular HERBAL antifungals to KILL yeast:

Fungal Defense - Oregano Blend
http://tinyurl.com/65pnr7

OREGAMAX
CANDICYN
Olive Leaf Extract, Seagate Brand

There are MANY products over the counter. Here are a few, but I have not had to used these.

Culturelle
http://www.culturelle.com/?gclid=CJ35zYyUjpUCFRILIgod1z4lgw

Kolorex Advanced Care
http://www.kolorex.com/intestinalcare.html

Candex
Candizyme

Vinegar/Medicated Douches

Oregano, garlic, olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed, garlic, pau d'arc are all natural antifungal herbs. You can google this or search on herbal websites.

Oral care - Believe it or not, yeast starts on the tongue. It is really important to brush your tongue really good every day and rinse for 30 seconds with antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine.

Dip toothbrush in bleach and rinse off every time you use it or you can re-infect yourself! (yeast can live on your toothbrush)

SUGAR IS THE WORST!! It Feeds yeast.

Best to rotate probiotics and yeast killers every month or so if you can.

http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

Good Luck!

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always found eating yogurt to be counter-productive. It feeds yeast for me. Check the sugar content on your yogurt and you'll see why.

Be sure to buy HIGH quality probiotics, like Theralac, VSL, Ultimate Flora, etc.

Follow the DIET or you will suffer the entire time you're on abx!!!!

See Betty's links above.

SYMPTOMS OF CANDIDIASIS:

NERVOUS SYSTEM - Depression, anxiety, sudden mood swings, lack of concentration, drowsiness, poor memory, headaches, lightheadedness, insomnia, fatigue.

DIGESTIVE SYSTEM - Abdominal bloating, pain and gas, indigestion, heartburn, constipation, diarrhea, gastritis, mucus in stool.

URINARY/VAGINAL SYSTEM - Recurrent bladder infections, burning or urgent urination, cystitis, vaginal burning or itching, menstrual cramping.

MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM - Muscle and/or joint swelling and pain.

MOUTH AND THROAT - Bleeding gums, dry mouth and tongue, cracked tongue, thrush, white patches.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jagb09
Member # 14713

Thanks all

I am a sugar addict! I know how bad it is for the yeast and Lyme but I can't stop!

Although, after this yeast infection it was just enough to make me cut back

All advice taken I will alter the many things I am doing that feed the yeast!

Thanks again [Razz]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could be a sugar addict because you have yeast. If you can stay on that diet very strictly for several weeks, your sugar cravings will go WAY down.

And you'll be so proud of yourself!!! [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a Rife machine or if someone who does has this problem, run frequency 465hz. It usually works very well.

Good, effective probiotics are the long term solution. VSL#3 has the most active cultures by far. You need more good bacteria than what you are getting now.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement