LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My new bedtime is 3:00 am...Anyone else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My new bedtime is 3:00 am...Anyone else?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before my sleep problem was waking at 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. and not being able to get back to sleep until about 5:30 a.m.

then I would sleep well for awhile.

the pattern then went to waking every 1-2 hours, and kind of in a *twilight* sleep.

Now I go to bed at 11:00 pm and am unable to sleep until about 3-3:30 am. When I fall asleep, finally, I sleep very well until about 10:00-11:00 am

Why all the changes in sleep patterns?

No med changes. No supplement changes.

Ideas?

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried setting an alarm for 7 or 8am? Because if you sleep from 3am until 11am, then you've just gotten a full nights sleep. You are not going to be tired again at 11pm, only 12 hours later. If you allow yourself to sleep until 10 or 11am regularly, that could certainly be part of the problem.
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and thank you Funk!

Actually, when this first started happening, I would make myself get up at 7:30-8:00 AM. Still, I would not fall asleep until 3:00-3:30am.

The last 3 days I have been so beat that I just let myself wake up naturally. prior to this I could also sleep for all but 8-10 hours of the day (I took naps).

No naps now.

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine for the past 2-3 years of GOING to bed is 3-5 AM !! i just hate this.

now i'm in bed 10-12 hrs. and just as tired when i went to bed plus 1-2 naps during day of 1-3 hrs. as needed! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went 5 days without ANY sleep. This, after 500mgs of Trazadone, 15mgs of Valium, and 100mgs of Lyrica. Went to my PCP, who is a total schmuck, but nevertheless gave me a prescription for Lunesta (to be added to the arsenal).

First night on it (last night), I went to sleep within an hour of taking it... It's a welcome change.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunesta worked well for my husband too. Our insurance wouldn't cover it but our PCP kept him supplied with samples.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I normally go to bed at around 3am. I was always a night person...

I've been to many doctors who say you should go to bed early - like 10pm. I could never do that.

When my Lyme was very bad, I did have awful insomnia. I couldn't sleep & I was up until about 7 or 8 am quite often... It was really awful. Ambien helped but I didn't like to "have to" take it to get to sleep. It's expensive, too.

Eventually, I got into this 3am - noon pattern. It seems OK since I don't "have to" get up early. I think the LightWorks helped to get my hormones under control.

I think staying up late may be related to Lyme effecting the hormone balance. I don't really know, though.

I'm not sure which comes first since not getting proper sleep can also effect growth hormone levels...

Some people use melatonin. There are a number of herbal things you can take, too. None of them seemed to help me that much. I think using infrared light seemed to help me the most.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read it is due to the encephalopathy in late stage Lyme.

I'm with you, and I hate it. My sleep time is usually around 4 am, but I've gone through spurts where I could not fall asleep until 5 or 6 am.

I have to totally drug myself to fall asleep; I take 30 mg of Restoril and 150 mg of Seroquel. Even that doesn't always do it.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKM03
Member # 17788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKM03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my daughter became ill years ago I also acquired a later bedtime with extreme daytime fatigue.

When she would actually fall asleep (which was rare) she would be able to hear everything going on around her, like my kids playing in the room next door, completely awake/aware...but paralyzed and unable to move for several moments.

Finally was diagnosed with Narcolepsy w/ Sleep paralysis...I've been on Xyrem. or it, and I'm now able to fall asleep at around 2 am and sleep until 7-8..a huge improvement.

Be sure to mention any weird sleep abnormalities to your LLMD, as you may be suffering from Narcolepsy, or another sleep disorder that is treatable with meds. as well. [Cool]

*As proof that Lyme induced insomnia/narolepsy is worse than normal: Even on Xyrem (also known as "GHB), she often stay awake throughout the first dose!- It takes a second, more powerful dose, 4 hours later, to make me sleep for only one hour (You're supposed to get 4-8 hours from it!)

[ 31. October 2008, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: JKM03 ]

Posts: 43 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good sleep habits:

-Go to bed at the same time everyday, and wake the same time everyday...7 days a week.

-Your bedroom should be for sleep or sex only. No doing work/business, on the pc, or watching TV in the bedroom.

-Set your alarm at night, and then put a towel over the dials so you cant see the time at night. Dont get up till it goes off.

-Take a warm shower or bath 1-2 hrs before bedtime.

-Keep the bedroom a few degrees cooler at bedtime.

-If noises bother you, turn on a fan or soundmachine to drown out noises. Dont use the radio, use something that has the same cylical pattern of white noise.

-Don't eat any sugars (shouldnt anyway with lyme), peanuts, pastas, ice cream, chocolate, carbos before bed.

-If you dont fall asleep in the first 20 minutes, get up, get a drink of water, and read a book for 15-30 minutes (or till sleepy). Then go back to bed.

-Dont watch TV right before going to bed. If you do, make sure its something relaxing, like a comedy, and not something intense or loud.

-If you wake up in the middle of the night, dont get up (unless you have to go to the bathroom).

-If you have anxiety while in bed, sit up, do a toe to head massage of your body, while deep breathing.

Hope some of these ideas help...

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Thank you everyone for the support stories and suggestions.

My sleep patterns are just really wacko and change from month to month.

Wiminin, I do all of the things that you suggested...doesn't matter.

Tracy, your answer, enceph. is probably the most accurate. This coupled with perhaps peri-menopause?

Sparkle, my worry is that the bodies organs are *supposed* to heal themselves at certain times in the night. If sleep comes in early morning patterns, is this healing disrupted?

By the way, I can take my sleep meds at 11:30-12:00 am and nothing! But at 3 or 3:30 I am magically tired. It is like my sleep clock has re-set itself.

Weird!

thanks guys for all of your responses!

Feelfit

Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im curious.. during the winter do you use artificial light at all? It almost sounds like your carcadian cycle is off, which could be thyroid related.

Quite often with sleep disorders its related to stress, anxiety, diet, meds, or physical problems...aha...encephalitis/meningitis wherein the brain is healing, and doesnt care what time of day it is..

I guess the real question is...are you getting enough sleep. If youre getting at least 8-10 hrs daily, but its just at an odd time, then maybe you can slowly try to change it back. Many people have to adapt to a sleep cycle change because of jobs... so maybe some of those same hints can help you too.

btw: I did read somewhere that between 3-4am is usually when your kidneys are cleansing? Not sure if thats related or not, but you can google sleep disorders, or, waking at 3 or 4 am and theres different ideas out there.

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Wiminen,

thank you for your brain storming. I am on Doxy and while I had been a sun bunny....sunshine makes me feel so much better,

I have not been in the sunshine since early August....maybe it is catching up?

Even though I fell asleep after 3 am again last night I got up at 8:00 am . Trying to get that clock re-set.

I am hoping to head to Florida for the winter in November.

Feelfit

Keshvara
Member # 13599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keshvara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man... I thought I was *nuts* or that I was starting to have manic episodes --- I have started to stay up until 3-4 several nights a week... [bonk] This week is my week off of meds and I seem to have re-adjusted to normal (for me) sleep times of midnight-8/9AM.

Thanks for posting this!

--------------------
Mal "Ready?"

Zoe "Always."

Posts: 36 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://tinyurl.com/635b9r

Oct 31, 2:05 PM EDT

Turning your clock back Sunday may help your heart -- By STEPHANIE NANO Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) --

Turning your clock back on Sunday may be good for your heart. Swedish researchers looked at 20 years of records and discovered that the number of heart attacks dipped on the Monday after clocks were set back an hour, possibly because people got an extra hour of sleep.

But moving clocks forward in the spring appeared to have the opposite effect. There were more heart attacks during the week after the start of daylight saving time, particularly on the first three days of the week.

"Sleep - through a variety of mechanisms - affects our cardiovascular health," said Dr. Lori Mosca, director of preventive cardiology at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, who was not involved in the research. The findings show that "sleep not only impacts how we feel, but it may also affect whether we develop heart disease or not."

. . .

Sleep can affect the heart through changes in blood pressure, inflammation, blood clotting, blood sugar, cholesterol and blood vessels, Mosca said. She suggested that anxiety from changes in routine may also be a factor, in addition to loss of sleep.

Dr. Ronald Chervin, director of the University of Michigan's Sleep Disorders Center, said this is a "sleep-deprived society," and he advises taking advantage of Sunday's time change and getting an extra hour of sleep.

. . . .

- Full article at the link or at the AP home site.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean about falling alseep. I take Lyrica and Xanax and it still takes me 2 hours to fall asleep. Without the Lyrica no matter what, I can't fall alseep before midnight and then I wake up at 3:00 am. I have to take this combo to get at least 5 or more hours of straight sleep without waking.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement