LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP! heart pounding all the time...mostly at night, wakes me up!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! heart pounding all the time...mostly at night, wakes me up!
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What IS this? Is it an overactive adrenal system....fight or flight? I hadn't had this in many months and now it's back. What can I do? I already take Seriphos to tamp down the adrenals. But nothing seems to be working.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past couple weeks I have increased my Artemisinin and I now get this symptom. Are you on artemisinin?

But since that symptom came up on artemisinin for me, that tells us that maybe this symptom "could" be associated with active babesia?

My heart pounds HARD now. And fast, but more noticable is the strength of each beat.

But also, my bartonella is flaring right now (from my perception...b/c I have other bart symptoms flaring), so who knows, maybe this symptom could be Bartonella.

I don't want to jump to conclusions that everything is a coinfection though, so take it for what it's worth, but for me, the pounding has been associated with tick disease treatment.

Mine does not wake me up in the middle of the night though.

What are you treating right now? What are you taking?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having the exact same thing and it just started up again recently. First it would start after I ate my evening meal. It pounded and raced for hours and went away.

Now it is getting me up in the middle of the night and it scares me. Sometimes I get really hot and then really cold with it.

Do you get that too?

Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, don't get the hot/cold thing associated with it. I might not be the best person to ask, because i think mine is associated with the artemisinin i'm taking.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine does that 24/7 and I have babesia duncani. I wish I knew what would help too because it makes sleeping difficult, and I periodically wonder throughout the day if it's going to blow up.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this symptom early on in my illness before I knew I had LD. I took meds for it and it got better; then I went off of them because it lowered my blood pressure too much.

Now it is back and I just recently was diagnosed with Babesia. So now this makes me think that it is caused by Babesia.

It doesn't wake me up at night, but it is sometimes hard to go to sleep because of it.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this off and on during my treatment. It seems to change with treatments. It went away for a long time when I was on Biaxin/Amoxy and returned when I went on Cowden.

I am having it pretty bad right now. Currently I'm off all ABX due to liver issues (thanks, Rifampin!)

It's not a rapid heartbeat but a very strong heartbeat that I am very aware of. It bothers me most at night when I am laying down.

I do get a rapid heartbeat after doing the least little thing like getting up to use the bathroom or climbing stairs.

I don't think I have Babesia but definately think I have Bart.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get this a lot....it would either flutter or feel like it was just going to stop. Very scary.

Kept me up many nights because I thought I wouldn't wake up if I fell asleep.

I was on Artemesinin and being treated for Lyme at the time.

I was then tested for co's and found out I had Babs.

Through biofeedback I was told the Artemesinin was actually detrimental.

So I quit all antibiotics and Art. I then started new antibs for Babs.

That was 1 month ago and I feel really good!

So, not sure if it was the Babs or the Art.

The only time I felt something very slightly was right before my period. All symptoms seem to flare the week before.

Hope it goes away for you soon!!!

[Frown]

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.....I'm not being treated for babesia (Lyme and bart) but did take artemesin last year and got this really bad.
I recently started another round of bartonella treatment so I'm thinking this could be the culprit.

It's always associated with babesia but I just don't know....could be many things.

What do most babesia patients have symptom-wise?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatColorGreen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatColorGreen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One explanation may be:

Borrellia like to live in the purkinje fibers of your heart. This is basically the electrical wiring of your heart contractions.

....man, i wish i could draw in this post.

do a google and you can see how the purkinje fibers go down 'the middle' of your heart and fork to cause contraction of the ventricles on each side of your heart.

Lyme can thus cause heart palpitations as they harbor in the bundle of his (these purkinje fibers), causing disturbances in impulses.

...could be other things too [Smile]

~The Green One~
[group hug]

--------------------
...trying to be the coffee bean, not the egg.

Posts: 420 | From East Coast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is it important to treat this? Is it dangerous?

My sister (who also has Lyme) is currently wearing a heart monitor for a month.

I've had it off and on for so long that I just put up with it. But it does get pretty scary.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is definitely a babesia symptom for me -- it got better with artemesia and also with mepron. It is a really heavy thumping? That's what I have gotten with babesia.
Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happens to me when I have a babesia flare or when I am treating babesia.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jl123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jl123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this as well and Calcium really brings down my heart rate. I mean thats sometimes what doctors use to slow heart rate. JL
Posts: 268 | From new york city | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw my llmd this week and she asked if I was experiencing irregular heartbeats, racing heartbeats, etc. I told her that occasionally I do have a racing heart (at rest, not irregular beats). I am currently into my fourth month of Babesia treatment. (Also have lyme and bart.)

She was concerned about racing heart at this point in treatment and thought it could be due to lyme getting worse. She wants to discuss IV treatment at next appointment if it is still occurring. (I have other symptoms that aren't improving as well.) I think occasional irregular beats or racing heart with exertion would be considered normal for a person who is not in the greatest shape...it's the racing heartbeat after several months of antiobiotics that seems to be of concern. Hope this helps.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wore a cardiac event monitor for this problem and it turned out to be an irregular rhythm called PSVT, plus major dysautonomic symptoms.

The usual tx is an expensive cardaic ablation procedure, but my heart doctor felt that would ony stop the racing, abnormal pulse, but not stop the dysautonomia, so I would still have attacks of flushing, cold, diarrhea, chest pain, shaking, etc., so he put me on a med instead.

I have to take Verapamil ER daily to help keep it from happening, and avoid situations that provoke it, like stairs, ramps, too hot, too cold, overstimulation, crowds, noise, being startled, etc.. It has limited my life far more than any other symptom.

klutzo

[ 30. October 2008, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: klutzo ]

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement