LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Handling a hives reaction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Handling a hives reaction
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - how do you all handle a hives reaction? I am starting to react with itching and hives when I touch fabrics of almost any kind. I guess this is due to an upregulated immune system response - too much mast cell/histamine/IgE response?

I travel with a wet tissue and constantly wipe my skin clean after cloth contact.

So far, I know to break open a capsule of benadryl powder and mix it with a little water and then rub it where it itches.

Mostly, I want to know how to reduce this allergy reaction. So any helpful methods for doing so?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a good antihistamine benadryl and take it.
Nyquill has benadryl in I think dayquill does to.

It could be your clothes detergent??

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try Benadryl cream. I've been told that taking and antihistamine orally works better than topicals. So if the cream isn't helping then try Benadryl tablets or Zyrtec, both OTC. I favor Zyrtec but that's just a personal opinion.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicoles Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you say "hives" could you be refering to "blisters"? My daughter just developed ichey blisters (fluid filled lumps like after a burn), not hives which are a solid raised area of skin with no fluid.

If any of you have blisters or have heard of this please contact me.

Thanks - D

Posts: 93 | From Illinois / Ontario | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the clothes detergent response.

Although I don't break out in hives, I have always had sensitive skin, and have to be very careful with any skin care products, soaps shampoos, laundry detergents, make up, ect.

When I travel, I wear long sleeve pajamas that have pants, to avoid contact with hotel sheets, which usually make my skin itch like crazy.

The worst offender is Ivory soap products, which are very drying and have a very strong scent, which of course makes me sneeze.

Benedryl is the drug of choice in our house for allergic reactions.

Best of luck, just think dye free-scent free when you shop, and avoid fabric softeners as well!!

kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, all. And I'll check out the benadryl cream, Sammy.

I am actually reacting to almost all fabric now, and petrochemicals - only certain kinds of plastic bags I can touch without itching. I can't wash with detergents anymore, only hot water soaks in the sink, and ironing afterwards, to stay away from communal dryers.

If anyone has anything more to say about handling MCS like this, go ahead.

So I think this is also called Keep Treating to change what's going on internally.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin,

This should not be taken as medical advice, but based on my own personal experience with hives a few years back; I found a few things that helped me.

As some have mentioned, Benadryl or Zyrtec can be helpful. I lived on Zyrtec for a couple of years earlier on in my recovery from Lyme and company.

I found Quercetin to be very helpful in stabilizing mast cells. That's why I was excited when I heard several of the doctors mention Quercetin along with its stabilizing effect on mast cells during the recent conference in San Francisco. I always took Quercetin along with vitamin C and that combo worked well for me.

Magnesium is another product that I have found useful. I took it orally, but a friend once told me how well it worked when they applied Milk of Magnesia topically to their hives. They swore by it, but I never tried it myself.

For clearing hives and other allergic reactions, I always did well with Tri-Salts or Alka Seltzer Gold mixed in water. I haven't seen the Alka Seltzer Gold formula anywhere recently, but the Tri Salts by Ecological Formulas worked very well for buffering my own allergic reactions. An environmental allergist that I used to travel across the country to see first taught me about them before we knew anything about Lyme.

I would mix 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon in water and drink it as needed until the reaction cleared. It worked pretty quickly. I still have my second bottle of Tri-Salts, so from my own experience, they last a very long time. (I should probably toss mine by now because it's ancient, though.) Check with a doctor if you tend to have high potassium levels because Tri-Salts do contain potassium bicarb.)

When I was hyper sensitive and becoming universally reactive, I found I had to let my clothes dry indoors. I had a dryer I could use, but I also used a drying rack inside my home. We lived near a busy freeway and I learned that I reacted too much to the exhaust-like fumes when I dried my clothes outdoors. Letting them dry inside away from the highway fumes helped.

I with you luck with this. It's been a number of years since I've dealt with hives personally, but I can easily recall what a miserable experience it was. Hopefully you will find something that works well for you, or at least find the culprit and be able to eliminate this uncomfortable symptom for good.

Mine eventually cleared up after I treated Lyme and co-infections. I also had to replace my AC/heating system and duct work as a result of a bad slime mold that I have always suspected played a key role in causing me to become more universally reactive. Once we eliminated the source of our mold problem and treated Lyme, my own burden lessened and things began to clear up.

Dr. S's neurotoxin protocol with Questran (cholestyramine) also helped, but I found it necessary to use the Actos with it initially to avoid the intensification response he warns about. (I believe you once mentioned problems related to a mold exposure, so I've included this here because it made a difference for me on my own road back to health.)

Best of luck to you for your own health and healing.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that you are having these reactions.

I rely on benadryl for any unexpected allergic reactions. Have taken claritan too in the past.

Have you tried organic cotton clothing? There are so many different types of chemicals used in non-organic cotton, it might be some of these chemicals that you are reacting to, rather than the fiber itself.

Great advice above from Lonestartick!

Hope it passes soon.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robin, sending you [group hug] [kiss]

i was going to suggest laundry detergent too!

i've got many chemical sensitivities but THIS ONE I DON'T ... i feel for you! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicoles Mom:
When you say "hives" could you be refering to "blisters"? My daughter just developed ichey blisters (fluid filled lumps like after a burn), not hives which are a solid raised area of skin with no fluid.

If any of you have blisters or have heard of this please contact me.

Thanks - D

I get those when most adhesives touch my skin... They normally break open - because they're very itchy and I give in to temptation, but don't scab over too bad and don't leave proof that they ever existed.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could also be caused by Yeast

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Thx, all - I would consider a nondrowsy antihistamine - are claritin or zyrtec ok in that regard?

Re quercitin - any particular amount that's been found helpful? I just noticed the one I have comes with bromelain.

One of the docs at the conference recommended doing crystalline Vit C to bowel tolerance.

And thanks, Lonestar, for suggestions - I'll check 'em out.

Re nonyeast diet, Tree - it's a challenge to stay on. Everything is so tempting!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement