LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LabCorp Western Blot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LabCorp Western Blot
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you see any disadvantage of asking a PCP to run a LabCorp Western Blot after being on Abx now for 3 months? My IGenix in May-08 was CDC negative on both IgM and IgG. It had the following:

IgM: 23-25 ++, 31 IND, 41 IND, 58 +
IgG: 41+

My LabCorp I think back in Nov-07 showed only IgG 41+. No IgM bands showed up.

I don't feel like wasting more cash at IGenix when it doesn't impact treatment. If they elect to accept insurance at some point, I will. It seems disability companies and many docs give them no credibility anyway -yes..I know facts indicate otherwise as I've read 100 times on here.

I mainly want a free test ran to see if something shows up on an independent (non-IGenix) lab. It would make me feel better about treatment.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't waste the money--the sensitivity of that test is what, like 40%?

[ 31. October 2008, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: adamm ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you can get a free test, go for it, BUT HOW MANY PROTEIN BANDS ARE THEY TESTING?

not all 16 !!!

as previous poster said; i wouldn't. same money and anxiety. [group hug] [kiss]

designt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for designt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a lab-corp western blot then a Igenex WB within 48 hours of each other.

Lab-corp showed all IgG bands present, no IgM bands.

Igenex showed a ton of positives on both IgM and IgG.

Posts: 123 | From Georgia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know LabCorp doesn't test all bands. I just don't understand how these other labs are still being reimbursed if their testing is so grossly inaccurate. If the government has audited IGenix, then don't they hold Quest, LabCorp, etc. to common standards?

How can this lab be so much smarter than others? I totally get the not including the vaccine bands as a true issue. It just seems incomprehensable that you could have 5 IgM bands at IGenix and 0 at LabCorp. is there any other diagnostic test in the world where this ridiculous inconsistency would occur?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't waste your money! These test are so inaccurate, they really don't mean much.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Labcorp western blot in May and it showed IGM positive, bands #23 & #41 and began the 3 weeks of Doxy.

In June my LLMD ordered an IGM and IGG by Igenenix and it came back NEGATIVE, showing IGG negative and IGM #31 IND, #39,IND and #41+.

I recently took another IGenex test in October and it came back NEGATIVE again.

But I was on abx when I took the Igenex tests.

Go figure.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

They become more important during a disability claim! I just have to believe if this Abx challenge philosophy has any merit, that more LabCorp bands should show up. IGenix certainly shouldn't be the only lab experiencing this phenomenom.

The LabCorp test is 100% payable by my insurance. It's more curiosity than anything else.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Wow, that's the opposite of what you would expect! It does make you wonder.

quote:
Originally posted by gemofnj:
I had a Labcorp western blot in May and it showed IGM positive, bands #23 & #41 and began the 3 weeks of Doxy.

In June my LLMD ordered an IGM and IGG by Igenenix and it came back NEGATIVE, showing IGG negative and IGM #31 IND, #39,IND and #41+.

I recently took another IGenex test in October and it came back NEGATIVE again.

But I was on abx when I took the Igenex tests.

Go figure.

[Roll Eyes]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deleting the quote bold codes which are so painful to my eyes.... [\QB]

quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:

They become more important during a disability claim!

seekhelp,

sorry, i have to disagree with respect to you ok based upon the 5 years of hell i went thru to be approved for my 2nd ssdi claim.

in my case, although i was IGENEX POSITIVE MEETING CDC GUIDELINES AND DIAGNOSED BY MY PCP OF 28 YEARS, they did NOT consider anything about my lyme in my ssdi.

they avoided LYME, FIBRO, CFS ... worked on mental end of it.

bottom line, it still goes back to why you PHYSCIALLY can not work so many hours daily doing:

sitting, walking, standing, bending, crawling, lifting, climbing, and using your hands

your pcp is the best to judge those activities based upon many dr. visits with you ....

fyi too. my pcp dx me w/lyme; our local clinic had me take another blood test, WB, at their expense and send to MAYO CLINIC, MINN.

came back NEGATIVE on igm and igg; they tested 2 on one; 5 bands on other!! go figure! [cussing]

hopeandhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeandhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally understand where Seekhelp is coming from....

I agree with your way of thinking and wondering.

What is strange to me is the thing that gemofnj experienced...a similar thing happened to me as well.

Lapcorp tested me cdc positive with 23, 41 bands.

I tested at Igenex after lots of abx and while on abx, I don't know if that matters or not, but my 23 band was gone. I did end up pulling 18, 31, 41, 58 I believe...and some on IgG side as well. Lapcorp I didn't.

I don't really worship Igenex and at times I don't know who to trust, which test to think is actually accurate, etc. All I know is that I'm sick. That's just my opinion.

--------------------
~*~Lyme POW~*~

I will escape.

Posts: 100 | From n/a | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a positive significant band on Labcorp and didn't bother with the Igenex. My LLMD diagnosis clinically.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soonermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soonermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me that his predecessor, Dr. Masters, tested (WB) someone every day for 30 days and each day the bands were different.

He said that borrelia is able to change it's expression to the immune system very easily, therefore our immune response changes along with it producing different antibodies.

I think until they are able to create a way to accurately and inexpensively test for the actual bacteria, we are all stuck with the most controversial disease known to mankind!

All I want for Christmas is for the lyme bill to be passed! [Big Grin]

--------------------
3/08 CDC Positive
IgM 18++ 23-25IND 31++++ 34++ 39+ 41+++ 58+ 83-93+

CDC Negative
IgG 31IND 39IND 41+++ 58+ 66+

Posts: 274 | From oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement