LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is this rash lyme disease? (picture)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is this rash lyme disease? (picture)
doihavelym
Member # 17942

Icon 9 posted      Profile for doihavelym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the center (dark red) showed up a few weeks ago. now there is a "bullseye" around it. it's very small, though, smaller than a dime. the picture is a little washed out, the ring around it is actually very bright red.

here is a link to the photo: http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/11/2/f_spotm_de06efb.jpg

[ 06. November 2008, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: doihavelym ]

Posts: 12 | From georgia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no doctor, but it looks like it could be lyme! check the rash pics here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

Go to Seeking a Doctor and find a good LLMD in your area. Other docs are sub-par in abilities when it comes to lyme.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is. Don't even bother getting the horribly insensitive blood tests they run for the disease--you can be certain from that rash that you have Lyme.

That being established, here's what your doctor, for tragic reasons that are explained well on lymecryme.com as well as in a book by the title of Cure Unknown, doesn't know enough to tell you:

You now have an emergency on your hands. You must do
whatever it takes to get enough doxycycline so that you can treat for 3 months with 400mg/day and then, for followup care, get to a doctor who treats in accordance with the guidelines of the ILADS (rather then the IDSA.) Failing to do this will, very likely result in lifelong illness.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Adamm.

That looks like a probable Bullseye to me. I would be asking for doxy pronto. Otherwise you may end up posting here for a long time down the road.

Not taking the abx will potentially hurt you more than taking them now even if that turns out to be a spider bite.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuman455
Member # 17823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuman455     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have a culture ran on that sore. It looks to me like it could possibly be MRSA, or a spider bite. If the hole continues to get bigger and have a yellow or greenish liquid discharge then it is probably MRSA or some other staph. I would have a culture ran on by your family doc for sure. Ive had Mrsa twice and it looks very similar to how it starts out. Starts like a pimple and then grows bigger.

Here is a pic to compare... looks just like it. MRSA

http://betterhealthcareformartinsville.org/images/mrsa.jpg

Posts: 45 | From western kentucky | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeandhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeandhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please go and get antibiotics. This disease can ruin your life. It has stolen my life as I knew it away from me, please go and get medicine asap. You still have a chance to not experience this.

--------------------
~*~Lyme POW~*~

I will escape.

Posts: 100 | From n/a | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuman455
Member # 17823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuman455     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with hope. Defiantly go get this checked out.
Posts: 45 | From western kentucky | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd most likely say lyme, for sure.

If you could get a bigger picture of that rash, that would be better... for future purposes - like to show to your docs and insurance if that's ever needed, etc.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doihavelym
Member # 17942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doihavelym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even though it is so small? the rash is actually smaller than a dime. it seems like lyme rashes are huge. mine is tiny...
Posts: 12 | From georgia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sorry, I could not tell as the photo is so small.

However, I hope not but you should get it check out. take close-up photos along the way and be sure to keep for possible future use.

Here's a bunch of stuff to walk you through what to do if you suspect lyme. Treating early and aggressively (but while still not overwhelming your liver) is vital. Only a few doctors know how tod do this.

Oh, if this is not lyme and from an insect, you still need to know what is it and get appropriate treatment.

Best of luck to you.

--------------

http://tinyurl.com/2dmvs2

From the May 2007 issue of Clinical Advisor (home page: www.clinicaladvisor.com )

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR"
By Virginia Savely, RN, FNP-C

As two medical societies battle over its diagnosis and treatment, Lyme disease remains a frequently missed illness. Here is how to spot and treat it.

Excerpts:

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

`` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . * Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

- FULL ARTICLE AT LINK ABOVE.

Co-infections (other tick-borne infections or TBD - tick-borne disease) are not discussed in the Savely article due to space limits. Still, any LLMD you would see would know how to assess/treat if others are present.

==========================

AFTER reading the Savely article above this will make more sense and, sadly, shows the state of treatment:

www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284

Connecticut Attorney General's Office

Press Release

Attorney General's Investigation Reveals Flawed Lyme Disease Guideline Process, IDSA Agrees To Reassess Guidelines, Install Independent Arbiter

May 1, 2008

Attorney General Richard Blumenthal today announced that his antitrust investigation has uncovered serious flaws in the Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) process for writing its 2006 Lyme disease guidelines and the IDSA has agreed to reassess them with the assistance of an outside arbiter.

- cont'd at link.

Printable version: www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284&pp=12&n=1

===============
===============

TESTING

You should also be evaluated for coinfections. Not all tests are great in that regard, either, but a good LLMD can evaluate you and then guide you in testing. One of the top labs is:

www.igenex.com

IGENEX

-----

Fry Labs also is said to be good for certain tests.

===========

Dr C of MO's Western Blot explanation:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

============

www.ilads.org

ILADS

The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

- 2/3 down the page, you can download Guidelines for the management of Lyme disease

=====================

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

Lyme Disease Association

=====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

treepatrol's - Topic: Newbie Learning Help Links 5/21/08

=======

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069262

Topic: BettyG's NEWBIE PACKAGE, 7.19.08, with TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR ALL!

======
======

Find your local SUPPORT GROUP for help in finding a doctor, etc.

www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates

======
======

Post in: SEEKING A DOCTOR

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2

======

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, hold great information about pharmaceutical and complementary treatments:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

======================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (2008) - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

==========================

http://tinyurl.com/653cum

Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Disorders, 2nd Edition - by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner (2003)

You can search inside the book and read customer reviews.

==================

FILM:

http://www.underourskin.com

UNDER OUR SKIN

DVD is $40. and worth every penny. It explains a lot.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have something that looks exactly like that on my thigh. I've had it for many years. Someone posted a picture a while ago that looked just like it and said that it was bartonella. I'll try to post a picture of mine in a few minutes.

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doihavelym
Member # 17942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doihavelym     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is another photo of it, with a quarter beside it so show the size.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/19/l_9f7652599854411ba2ef5942d5a66551.jpg

i dont actually have a camera, these are from my scanner.

[ 06. November 2008, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: doihavelym ]

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the bottom line. No one can say for sure if your bite is Lyme.

You definately have been bitten though, I shudder to think that it could be MRSA as one poster suggested...but at this point, it *could* be anything.

Here is your dilema. Do you want to be safe and have it checked or not?

If you opt not to have it checked, at least clean it with an anti-bacterial and keep a very close eye on it.

I hope you choose to have it checked asap.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have deleted the picture. If you do a search for bartonella pictures on this site you can probably see a picture that looks just like the one you posted. If not, check google for pictures of bartonella. Good luck!

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

check this link for some pics

http://www.publichealthalert.org/pdfnew/2008_05.pdf

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doihavelym:
[QB] even though it is so small? the rash is actually smaller than a dime. it seems like lyme rashes are huge. mine is tiny...

doesn't matter on size

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
here is another photo of it, with a quarter beside it so show the size.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/19/l_9f7652599854411ba2ef5942d5a66551.jpg

i dont actually have a camera, these are from my scanner. [/QB]

Are you SURE the tick is no longer attached?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lymetoo - it looks kind of like the tick is still there in the very middle of the rash.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JesseSapp
Member # 16630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesseSapp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be the first to say it does NOT look at all like lyme disease. It's too small, is not a bullseye, seems to have a necrotic center...nothing about it is characteristic of lyme disease
Posts: 99 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doihavelym
Member # 17942

yeah theres no tick in it. i had my mom look at it with a magnifying glass.

the center looks like, a popped zit with dried blood on it... only its not a popped zit and its not dried blood. the center thing does not come off. the center thing is raised up a lot from my skin..

also it is VERY much "bullseye" shaped in real life. the center is darkred/black, then pink surrounding that, then a very blood red circle around all of it.

gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is a photo, but small.

looks to me could be bartonella.
http://www.lawestvector.org/bartonella.htm

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for posting your photo, and as stated LARGER ones help us all better.

always use a coin or $1.00 bill to show size on you and TODAY'S DATED NEWSPAPER in visible spot for later references.

you've gotten wonderful advise from all of the above, here's my newbie info...

Welcome; i'm so glad you found us!! You've come to the right place for education and support!

Dr. Burrascano's most recent "Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses" @
http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_0905.html
suggests that you discuss with your doctor continuing treatment until you are symptom free for 2 months.

this link, making the most of your LLMD visit, may help you also.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=020605#000005

please see BettyG's newbie package info on the link below; click on link at bottom of my package. Check it out as time permits for you!
@ http://tinyurl.com/58eyou

Fyi: we have over 1000 viewers daily; 200 - 400 posting/replying; so specific titles get our time/replies. non-specific ones, i sob, scroll on by!

Also, please be very specific in the subject line what you will be discussing so more people will be able to assist you.

please go to my newbie links, copy the entire thing, and then print this off....

financial burdens compiled by melanie reber
pages 74 - 92; outstanding info there.

also in my table of contents, for FINANCIAL BURDENS, i believe there are a few more general comments there without links!! print that off too as it's newer info from members thru their own personal, tragic experiences.
thoughts and prayers headed your way..

POSTING GUIDELINES

When you post or reply, please break up your solid, continuous block text [Smile] welcome to the board! many of us have neuro lyme where we can NOT read long solid block text and be able to comprehend and read it as is.

please edit your post by CLICKING PAPER/PENCIL ICON to right of your name. that opens up BOTH subject line and body text.

now please break up your WORDY SENTENCES into one sentence paragraphs. Then hit ENTER KEY ``THREE`` after each paragraph; we need that space for comprehension.

if you are NOT a wordy person, you can do 2 or 3 total ok. do this for your entire post.

NOTE: you do NOT have to use "", just show the name of person you are responding to, and then type your comment.

IF you need to use "", PLEASE DELETE "BOLD" CODES so it's regular type text we read vs. the DARK, HARSH/PAINFUL BOLDING.

specifically, delete the first 4 characters of 2ND LINE of a ""

[QB] just delete these 4 characters, and BOLDING is GONE! my eyes will really appreciate that; it's one very bad side effect of my having lyme for 38.5 years!! xox

then go to left hand corner and mark box to receive ALL REPLIES, and click EDIT SEND

we thank you for helping us; [Wink] otherwise, we will SOB, SCROLL ON BY, since we can't read to help you. If I see posts like this, I SOB them; to hard on me.

doihavelym
Member # 17942

i went to the doctor about the rash. my doctor told me i could go through lots of blood tests and everything, or she could just go ahead and put me on antibiotics. thoughts?

my rash is going away completely, is this normal? it is fading so much it is almost gone.

my rash pictures are linked on the first post on this topic, but now it is fading so much that is it almost gone.

doihavelym
Member # 17942

i went to the doctor about the rash. my doctor told me i could go through lots of blood tests and everything, or she could just go ahead and put me on antibiotics. thoughts?

my rash is going away completely, is this normal? it is fading so much it is almost gone.

my rash pictures are linked on the first post on this topic, but now it is fading so much that is it almost gone.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes, a rash can fade. But, if it is lyme, the spirochetes can continue to do their work, or hide for a while.

While it's great that your doctor is willing to work with you, you need to find out more about what is being offered and her background and knowledge in the treatment of lyme.

You also need to be assessed for other TBD.

Most likely you'd get too low a dose of not the right combination and for too short of a time period. Did your doctor say which protocol she would use, the IDSA or the ILADS?

Not to insult or assault your doctor but most really just go by what the IDSA says. My guess is that she would treat with the IDSA protocol and that seriously inadequate (although a lucky few seem to have sailed through, many come back much worse later - see the Savely article in post above).

You can refer to earlier links for details. The ILADS site, Burrascano's guidelines and the Singleton book will be your very best resources to start.

It is never a single drug. Combination matters tremendously. This is very complex but well worth the attention to detail. It's your future, after all.

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doihavelym
Member # 17942

lyme isnt common around here, and she is actually a nurse practitioner, so i doubt she has much background at all.

i will post the name of the antibiotics she is putting me on tomorrow when i get them filled.

btw, i love all you guys. [Smile]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Perhaps, if you share the Savely article with her, she will appreciate it.

You might have a friend in this doctor, I just want to be sure you will be in good hands.

The rash could also be STARI, not lyme but still a spirochete infection. I don't know if the same drugs would be used.

-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:

DO IT!!!! You don't want to go chronic like us!!!!

all the more reason to believe it's Lyme... they DO fade. Be sure to keep this picture!!!

I hope you got 4-6 wks of 300-400mg of doxy per day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

doihavelym
Member # 17942

my doctor gave me 10 days worth of doxy.

twenty 100 mg tabs 2x a day.

doihavelym
Member # 17942

twenty 100mg pills 2x a day.

doihavelym
Member # 17942

twenty 100mg pills 2x a day.

gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have lyme symptoms, I would make an appointment immediately with a lyme literate doctor in your area.

You can go to the Questions and Discussions board and click on SEEKING A DOCTOR for a good recommendation.

At the top of this board you can go to the library and look up all the symptoms, or refer to them in the attached guidelines.

http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That course of treatment will fail you! It won't kill any of the bacteria,

but it may abort your immune response to them, leaving you

a mile up $#!t creek (search around for a study recently done by one Viral Geenetics, Inc. confirming this.)

Really, you must find a way to get enough for the correct course
of treatment--your life is on the line here
! I treated with

200mg for a month right after

my bite, and now, at 19, I'm slowly but steadily heading towards dementia despite having been on proper treatments for a year.

Lyme is epidemic in all 48 contiguous states, BTW. Please educate yourself!

doihavelym
Member # 17942

should i ask my doctor to give me more dosage and for longer? what should i ask for? (i cant go to any specialist or anything, just my regular ol doctor.)
adamm
Unregistered

Yes--ask around here for some research proving that it has to bee 400mg for about 3 months, then give it to your doctor and ask for it. If he/she won't give it to you, get it from a free clinic, another Lymie--anyone, and anyhow. A lyme support group, if there's one near you, may also be able to help you.

Have you looked for an LLMD yet?

adamm
Unregistered

up in case anyone's got more advice for you
doihavelym
Member # 17942

ive continued my 200mg/day dosage because ive not had the time to contact my doctor.

i do plan on talking to her on monday and seeing if i can be put on a 400mg for 4 wks deal.

i woke up this morning with numb, tingly hands and a numb, tingly face. i have been experiencing some numbness in my left hand prior to this. i did do some drinking last night, but ive never experienced this from drinking before.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement