LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Testing Question for me and my toddler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testing Question for me and my toddler
kgarrett
Member # 17420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgarrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am relatively new here. I have read the western blot explanation and skimmed thru many posts and the newbie info. I do have some trouble focusing right not as I have a bad cold on top of my other issues so I wanted to get some advice on testing. I tested positive last year and haven't been treated in a while. My doc is going the natural route with me right now but, I want to make sure that I actually do or do not have lyme because if I don't something else is wrong with me and I also want to get pregnant. I am also concerned for my son who has some language delays and I want to make sure he does not have congenital lyme.

I have a prescription of ceftin 500mg 2 times per day for 30 days. I plan to take that and then wait the 10-14 days for a test. I want to make sure that I taking the right test and sending it to the right place for the most accurate results. The co-infection thing is pretty confusing to me right now and I also want to make sure that I am tested for all co-infections. Is this plan going to be adequate for testing?

My son is 3 and was on a 4 weeks of antibiotics for a suspected bulls eye rash this summer. He didn't seem to suffer any herx - unless you count an extreme case of separation anxiety that seemed to be reasonable considering our move and travels. I don't want to put him on abx just for the test but, I do want to have him tested for lyme and coinfections.

I would also like to have my hubby tested as well just in case.

We have spent much of lives outdoors in the woods of Maryland and have had numerous ticks.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristin

Posts: 43 | From md | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgarrett
Member # 17420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgarrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and one more question - Any idea on how much this testing will cost me.
Posts: 43 | From md | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting you ...

My son is 3 and was on a 4 weeks of antibiotics for a suspected bulls eye rash this summer.

what is SPECIFIC ANTIBIOTIC your son is on?
did you read dr. burrascano's lyme guidelines on KIDS DOSAGES/MEDS??

WESTERN BLOT IGM/IGG at IGENEX are $200
i had most current costs in my newbie package.

NOV. AND MAY, igenex costs go UP! i haven't checked with them this month to get a sheet of new costs.

you can call them and ask; look at their web site first for different tests they do; COSTS not shown there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgarrett
Member # 17420

I think my son was on amoxacillin or penicillin. We went to urgent care and they gave him 1 week. When we returned we went to his pediatrician and he said - oh no - they aren't pediatricians there and don't know how much to give. He have him A LOT more for the next 3 weeks.

I called Igenex and they said if I wanted to test for all coinfections plus the more expensive lyme test it would cost around 1100.00.

If I don't have lyme, I am not likely to have co-infections, right? So if I could wait for the lyme test and then do the co-infection test if I test positive.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kristin,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...

you can have co-infections and NO LYME; each person is different.

some have lyme and NO co-infections; others have from 1-4 or 5 co-infections!

co-infection testing is cheaper at FRY labs in arizona; that info is in my newbie package also.

best wishes.

had i known what i do now 4 years later, i would have tested for lyme and CO-INFECTIONS.

it is stated that co-infections should be dealt with first then lyme.

thru complete body lab testings i learned of so many other things wrong with me, i'm trying to work on them.

best wishes on what you decide. [group hug] [kiss]

kgarrett
Member # 17420

Thanks for the info - I went the site for the other lab and it does look a little bit cheaper.

So I am assuming from the lack of comment that I should feel comfortable that 1 month of ceftin followed by the 10-14 days of no antibiotics is adequate prior to testing.

I know that lyme can be passed to your baby in the womb - I am wondering about the co-infections. We have a pretty low income so I don't want to do testing that is not necessary but, I feel as though it is more expensive not to know and find out later.

Thanks again for the input

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for others to give you input; i gave you the most i personally know.

especially PARENTS W/KIDS on meds!!! [group hug] [kiss]

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
new to this myself but can give you my thoughts from the other side of the fence...

new dx lyme and have had medical prob. for years and was "mystery girl" to the docs. was treated for "autoimmue" symptoms that got better
when pregnant then came back, and worse after
each baby. we thought then that was maybe lupus or abnormal gi related thing..nothing specific ever showed up and i never suspected lyme..did not know much about it.

now i have learned that the immunosuppession tx i have done may have a negative impact on my outcome now...concerning certaintly

now that i know this is lyme i am very worried for my boys..most likely would mean gave them
congential lyme.

i have appt with LLMD next week to get info on testing my kids and hubby

the feelings of guilt i have now would have been
well worth the cost had i known then !!

my youngest was is NICU, and would have given anything to avoid that and would never wish that on another mother to have that experience.

i understand the finaces as well, i have been out of work since sept now and money is tight..but if testing can prevent anyone else from getting the sympotoms and esp. PAIN i have now..it is worth it....could not bear to have my kids in this kind of pain and feeling like brain is on the fritz..is scary for me and i am a nurse could not imagine how it would be for them

]maybe this helps just giving you my thoughts ..best wishes

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement