LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin for Bart & Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin for Bart & Lyme?
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone taken Rifampin for Bart & Lyme? Or did you take it with doxy as well?

I have to call LLMD tomorrow to be sure, but I think she wanted me to stop the doxy and start the rifampin.

Of course the one thing I forgot to write down.

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKM03
Member # 17788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKM03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin may have some effect on Lyme, but it is a generally weak antibiotic, though very effective for Bartonella. Most LLMDs combine Rifampin with Doxycycline or Zithromax, because the two are synergistic together against both. My daughter took Rifampin w/ Doxy.
Posts: 43 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am in Rifampin, Doxy, and, Zith to treat lyme and bart. Rifampin is considered a good drug for bart because it crosses the blood brain barrier. A lot of bart symptoms are psychological/cognitive, etc. I have been on it for 7 weeks. I think it is helping slowly.

Kathy

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin also works to draw other antibiotics deeper into cell tissue.

Such as doxy.

My neighbor actually pulses the doxy with rifampin.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone heard of Rifampin and Cat's Claw being a good combo?? My LLMD swears it works.

Down to my final symptoms. Yeah!

Hope this is ok.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Rifampin, doxy and omincef on a pulse schedule M-W-F for two weeks on and two weeks off.

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Rifampin and very very low dose Flagyl. And when I added in Cat's claw, cut the Rifampin doseage in half (to 300mg). And was weaned off both abx over a few months.

And I got well and have stayed that way (4 yrs now)

I've heard it helps with Lyme from some, and not from others. But I got well, and had Bart and Lyme. So go figure.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme,

From your experience, do you really think that cats claw can take the place of zith?

Cat's claw seems to keep me awake at night. I am only taking 2 doses @ 375 mg ea. in the early morning and its still affecting me.

Thanks for any advice.

PS and thanks for visiting us even after you are well!

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin is a good knock out drug for bartonella but no good for lyme.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gem

I'm no Dr. so I can't tell you if it could 'replace' Zithro, but I can tell you that I herxed my head off the Cat's Claw (Prima Una de Gato - 1/2 a capsule). The first herx hit me within a half hour.

Took me months to get to 2 capsules. I can't say it interfered with my sleep. I took mine on empty stomach in am and at 4pm (and still do).

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Wow.

I have not herxed at all from any abx so far, although I am improving.

I just started the Rifampin 300 day X 2 and Prima Una de Gato 375 x 2(Allergy Research Brand)on Saturday, and have had no side effects of either so far.

Anyway, I hope the Rifampin kills the bart and cats claw kills any residual lyme left.

Thanks again for your advice.
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement