LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » stabbing pains in wrist at night???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stabbing pains in wrist at night???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this started about a week ago. i get these horrible sharp stabbing pains in my left wrist at night. when i move, it's bad enough to wake me up. and i'm right handed.

the wrist is not red or swollen, but the pain is really bad.

carpal tunnel? arthritis? or just ole lyme?

i use one of those muscle creams and it seems to help a little.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear about this! I had severe carpal tunnel a few years back, though it was in my dominant hand. Have you been using your left hand to hold a heavy bag lately?

I have heard that vitamin B6 helps with carpal tunnel pain. Maybe it can help you too. Good luck.

Mazou

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,

You keep posting things that are so typical of rheumatoid arthritis. Lyme causes rheumatoid arthritis. Have you been tested? I may have asked you this before so forgive me if you have already responded.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no i've never been tested for it....

hmmm, my sister and mother had rheumatoid arthritis...

nobody in my family will get tested for lyme tho. they don't believe me....but i think since my mom had it since childhood all four of us could have lyme...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like lyme to me. I have this sharp shooting pain in wrist/legs/feet/hands, etc. as well.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If its weird and has no explanation, I vote for lyme.

The last few nights Ive been woken by severe cramps somewhere in my body. Two nights ago, calf. Not unusual if Ive been walking or jogging a lot. But last night, forearm... yeah, forearm..and Ive done nothing different. Ive also had neck, butt, side, and wrist as well. Nothing constant, just random cramps, twitches, or stabbing pains. Just rub them a few minutes and the oddities go away.

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, do you have Lyme have you been diagnosed?
along with all my other symptoms, pain in my left wrist is a huge problem, sometimes the pain is the entire left arm, shoulder and everything. Sometimes there is no pain, only if I apply pressure or weight or bend it the wrong way. Today I am getting stabbing pains in the wrist again. I am 38 and have never had any joint pains and have taken good care of myself my whole life. My wrist issue started this year when all my other symptoms started so I am attributing it to Lyme. Too much of a coincidense otherwise.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, I have been getting this recently as well.

The pain is pretty bad. Then, for me, in the morning, it's totally gone.

I have to think this is one of those vague lyme or coinfection issues.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
designt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for designt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get them in my right wrist like crazy. I also work at a computer 8+ hours a day so I think it's from using the mouse.
Posts: 123 | From Georgia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sounds like carpel tunnel and while that is frequent with lyme, you might consult a P.T. for therapy options. Ultrasound and wrist braces really helped me.

Sleeping in braces is the most help - and when at the computer or when lifting.

Ice helps, too. Gentle, specific stretches are good -but some are harmful. A PT can guide you in this for your particular wrists.

Oh, magnesium and B-vitamins, and fish oil is the trio that also helps.

HINT: If a PT orders a custom-made brace, have them fit it over a cotton sock or liner. My were not. It gets so hot that I simply cannot wear the set was was made just for me. They are neoprene and far too tight to fit a cotton liner inside.

Another hint: Use a heating pad or hot water bottle on your belly if the cold from ice packs on hands cause you to shiver.

And, before even getting out of bed, gently move your hands around. Holding a pen or pencil between the index and middle fingers takes pressure off wrist, too.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gray422.png

Ulnar nerve diagram

--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpel_tunnel_syndrome

Carpal tunnel syndrome

Excerpts:

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) or median neuropathy at the wrist is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to paresthesias, numbness and muscle weakness in the hand. The diagnosis of CTS is often misapplied to patients that have activity-related arm pain.

Most cases of CTS are idiopathic (without known cause), genetic factors determine most of the risk, and the role of arm use and other environmental factors is disputed.

Night symptoms and waking at night - - the hallmark of this illness - - can be managed effectively with night-time wrist splinting in most patients.

. . .

Diagnosis . . . Other conditions may also be misdiagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome. . . .

Prevention . . .

Treatment . . .

Reversible causes . . . Some causes of CTS are secondary to other conditions -- metabolic disorders such as hypothyroidism, for example. Treatment of the primary disorder often resolves CTS symptoms.

- Full article and many references at link above.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement