LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sooo very sick!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sooo very sick!
carrots
Member # 1980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carrots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lyme disease for 22 years.

I was bit by a tick in 1986 and 2001.

went to see LLMD and was tested positive and

treated. Never had much luck. I just struggled

and did what I could.

I have arthrits in both knees, and need knee

replacments on both. I also have posterior

tibial tendon rupture's in both feet.

All these require surgery.

I also gained weight over the years, and just

Had a roux-en-y gastric bypass. I really thought

this would help with sugery recovery for joints.

Well, losing weight but, not feeling great.

My hands, knees and feet are so painful.

I have only left the house these past years a

few times (going to Doc's) my hubby does most

of the running for me.

I would like to know, has anyone had problems

after sugery.

I did have my gall bladder out a few years and

it went well. It would be so nice to get a doctor

to understand. But I have been there and back.

I have been taking multivitamin complete,

B-complex, B-1 and 1200 mg calcium citrate.

because of R-y surgery.

I would like some thoughts of someone who has to

live with this crazy disease.
Carrots [Frown]

Posts: 48 | From Mn. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamieL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamieL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know my symptoms came out after a surgery.

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad again.

Are you no longer in contact with the LLMD?

--------------------
Diagnosed with :yme and mycoplasma pneumonia Aug 08.
Treating with Doxy and Ceftin ever since. 15 sessions in hyperbaric o2 chamber

Posts: 183 | From all around | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm sorry that I cannot speak directly to your questions.

However, an herb called Salvia m. is fabulous to help inprove micro-circulation after surgery. I'll look up my notes about that and return. In the meantime:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease.

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD

July, 2008

Four pages

===============

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures. Much discussion is given to the endocrine system and effects of high cortisol (which also affects weight). Best of all, he has well-thought out ways to achieve solution:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=====================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections. The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of cortisol from the stress of this illness. The Singleton book (linked above) also discussed the importance of the endocrine connection.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

You can look inside the book and read customers' reviews at the link.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

FOR BODY WORK:

After surgery, visceral manipulation can help reduce possible abdominal adhesions. However, cranial-sacral might also be excellent, too.

www.upledger.com

The Upledger Institute

--

www.upledger.com/therapies.asp

Therapies

---------

www.upledger.com/content.asp?id=96

Visceral Manipulation

. . . Visceral Manipulation (VM) is a gentle hands-on therapy that works through the body's visceral system (the heart, liver, intestines and other internal organs) to locate and alleviate these abnormal points of tension throughout the body.

----

www.iahp.com/pages/search/index.php

Find a Practitioner Trained in Upledger Techniques

=================
=================

www.myofascialrelease.com

MYOFASCIAL RELEASE

JOHN F. BARNES, P.T. is one of the top experts on myofascial release. After a surgery, this can help reduce - or soften - adhesions that typically occur.

---

www.myofascialrelease.com/mfr/mfr_what.asp

What is Myofascial Release?

(Great illustration with the pulled sweater.)

--

http://mfr.somapt.com

Find a Myofascial Release Therapist

======================

From experience, I can tell you that massage can really help. And many LMTs (licensed massage therapist) have some training in visceral manipulation.

However, I have never found a LMT to have the top notch level of training as someone trained with either Upledger or Barnes.

You can ask a LMT or a PT what programs or seminars were part of their training. Then look that up to be sure you have the real deal.

Tai Chi or Qi Gong may help, too. You might find instructors at community centers. Learning from a teacher is best and perhaps they can then suggest a DVD for home guidance.

Best of luck. I know this is very complex and seems like an uphill battle. Still, I hope something provides a core treatment for you.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

If this rings a bell for you, you might find a good N.D. (naturopathic doctor) or L.Ac. (licensed aducupuncturist) to guide you. Acupuncuture, too, can help restore circulation and work with any possible adhesions from surgeries or just wear and tear on the body.

Someone who is also lyme literate would be best but ask if they have specific training in these areas.

Your liver might also need some added help to flush out drugs used during surgery. It can take a while for that to work out of your system. Milk Thistle is just one support measure.

----------

www.itmonline.org/arts/adhesions.htm

Abdominal Adhesions: Prevention and Treatment -- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D (2203)

Adhesions are strands or of scar tissue (fibrin bands; see illustration, below) that form in response to abdominal surgery and extend beyond the specific site of incision, sometimes forming separately from the incision site within the peritoneum.

Scar tissue that mends the incision is normal, but the adhesions form additionally under some circumstances that are not fully understood. . . .

. . .

The fact that existing scars may be degraded somewhat by the enzyme action suggests the possibility that herbal therapies could contribute to alleviating adhesion symptoms by stimulating the body's production of hyaluronidase (or other enzymes of similar function) to perform this task.

Even if scar tissue is not removed, if it can be softened (made more elastic), there may be relief from its physical manifestations such as bowel blockage, pain, and some cases of infertility.

Herbs that are reputed to aid healing of injuries, soften abdominal masses, and alleviate abdominal pain of various origins may act, in part, by breaking down undesirable collagens to alleviate the symptoms.

. . . Key herbs for reducing fibrosis and masses are listed in Table 1 (11).

- Full article and charts at link above.

=======================

www.itmonline.org/arts/salvia.htm

SALVIA and the History of Microcirculation Research in China -- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D. (2001)

Excerpts:

. . .

The elevation of salvia to a key herb took place in two steps: recognition of salvia as a valuable blood-vitalizing agent leading to incorporation of the herb in modern formulas for angina pectoris; and then, investigations of its effectiveness in treating microcirculation disorders, leading to its use in treating liver fibrosis and cirrhosis.

. . .

Spontaneous resolution of liver fibrosis occurs mainly as the result of the action of collagenases, known as matrix metalloproteinases (enzymes incorporating heavy metals; these are partly induced by zinc), that breakdown the accumulated collagen.

When new liver fibrosis is inhibited by salvia, it is possible that natural processes slowly reverse the existing fibrosis. Although not yet studied, it is also possible that salvia helps induce collagenase or reduces collagenase inhibitors so that fibrosis recovery is speeded up.

It has been proposed that liver regeneration is promoted by salvia through general mechanisms of improving hepatic microcirculation, reducing lipid peroxidation, elevating plasma levels of fibronectin (an antifibrotic agent), and regulating immune responses (28).

. . . .

=--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carrots, don't remember seeing your name before; but you started before i did!

may i suggest you add to your subject line ....

after surgeries including gastro, so much sicker; feedback please

just click on pencil, 3rd icon to right of your nickname, and that will open up subject line to add and/or text if you wanted more to go there too.

best wishes! [group hug] [kiss]

i've had 13-14 surgeries ... each one made me worse stirring up spirochetes in my body since i've had chronic lyme 39 yrs. this xmas...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say when you got infected, but when did you start treatment and for how long?

I know that my bad symptoms came after a hysterectomy... and then a year later after a traumatic tooth extraction gone wrong. Thats when the Lyme hit the proverbial fan for me.

I personally would not be having any more surgery if I could help it... but it sounds like with you that may not be an option. I know there are plenty of people who have Lyme and do fine after surgery.. I would just take precautions and consult your LLMD about it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy07
Member # 17627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by carrots:
I have had lyme disease for 22 years.

I was bit by a tick in 1986 and 2001.

went to see LLMD and was tested positive and

treated. Never had much luck. I just struggled

and did what I could.

I have arthrits in both knees, and need knee

replacments on both. I also have posterior

tibial tendon rupture's in both feet.

All these require surgery.

I also gained weight over the years, and just

Had a roux-en-y gastric bypass. I really thought

this would help with sugery recovery for joints.

Well, losing weight but, not feeling great.

My hands, knees and feet are so painful.

I have only left the house these past years a

few times (going to Doc's) my hubby does most

of the running for me.

I would like to know, has anyone had problems

after sugery.

I did have my gall bladder out a few years and

it went well. It would be so nice to get a doctor

to understand. But I have been there and back.

I have been taking multivitamin complete,

B-complex, B-1 and 1200 mg calcium citrate.

because of R-y surgery.

I would like some thoughts of someone who has to

live with this crazy disease.
Carrots [Frown]

Posts: 16 | From Watertown, MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement