LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 2 days off abx, return of symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 days off abx, return of symptoms
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped my Biaxin and Plaquenil that I've been on for 6 mos (treating over a year total) 2 days ago. I stopped due to stomach issues and I also started a 10 day course of Diflucan and Prilosec 2 days ago. My LLMD said to take a short break from the Biaxin and Plaquenil just for the 10 days while on the Diflucan and Prilosec.

Now just 2 days later, my scalp feels numb and I have tiny, itchy red bumps that look like flea bites. I haven't had these 2 symptoms in over a year. I think that's really strange.

This makes me wonder if the stomach issues/pain are due to an ulcer caused by H. Pylori which could be causing the hives or whatever they are or, the hives could be from Mycoplasma P. which is what we originally thought was causing my hives a year ago.

If anyone has any insight as to what is happening with me, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
read about pulsing

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak,

I kind of know what pulsing is but what aspect of pulsing applies to what is going on w/me right now?

I'm sorry, maybe it should be totally obvious but my brain isn't understanding it right now.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 days off antibiotics should have no affect in making your symptoms return. Antibiotics will stay in your body for up to 10 days. Even taking a break for a month should not cause too much of a problem if you have been on them for a few months.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

I know that so how is this possible? Some strange coincidence?
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a friend go off her abx and Mepron as directed by her LLMD because she was done treating. Her pain symptoms returned within one week and her LLMD said co-infections can return quickly.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Do you know if Myco can return that quickly?

I've tested negative for bart and babs but I know that doesn't necessarily mean I don't have them....

(I test neg. for Lyme too!)

ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a reminder that are all different in how Lyme affects us and how we react: if my son stops his Minocin, he regresses noticeably on the second day, and this is after being on ABX for over a year.

As for the bumps: when a friend does a juice cleanse she breaks out in pimples in various locations as the the toxins are released. Could the Diflucan be doing something similar?

The first time I took Diflucan I felt very strange and at one point thought my legs were going to give out. After that episode, I never had such a reaction to Diflucan: I assume it was doing an intense job the first time I took it.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same with me. I got off my Abx and Malarone for 5 days. Things hit the fan so fast. I was in intense pain. Until I started popping Malarone, nothing helped a whole lot.

quote:
Originally posted by Angelica:
I had a friend go off her abx and Mepron as directed by her LLMD because she was done treating. Her pain symptoms returned within one week and her LLMD said co-infections can return quickly.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not from being off of abx, it's from being on Diflucan. Sit back and endure whatever comes from it. 10 days off abx is not enough time to worry about loosing ground.

You're getting paranoid for nothing. It would probably do you a lot of good to stay on the Diflucan for 20 days without any abx.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told that if you flare shortly after going off abx, it is not lyme but a co-infection since lyme comes back slower.

As others have said, you could be having die off from the diflucan.

Best to let your LLMD know what is happening.

Hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think micul is correct -- you probably have a Candida infection and that is causing the rash.

I do not have Lyme or any tickborne illnesses. I used some Nizoral cream once years ago. I broke out in a Candida rash on my arms I think it was. My PCP switched me to Diflucan if I remember correctly.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

micul,

I guess it could be the Diflucan. Maybe I should stay on for longer. I'm not quite sure how to approach my Dr. about that though since this is what she prescribed.

I'm on 1 100 mg. tablet once a day for 10 days. What dosage and duration do others take?

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Schardt protocol has shown that Diflucan at 200 mg once a day, or 100 mg twice a day is very effective against Lyme. Some Dr's believe that it is also effective against Bart.

In the beginning, Dr Schardt used it for 25 days with great results. He later changed it to a 50 day protocol. He recommends that a course of penicillan be alternated with the Diflucan. It should be taken alone, without any other abx or herbs so that there is no interference. Do a search under "Schardt" to see more information on it.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

I had the same thing when i stoped LEVAQUIN and swithced on somehting else.

I broke out on red spots ( like RMSF) and my head was burning ...and was like needles were in my head...and I could not take it...I had to go back on levaquin ( inspite of my knee problem) ..that stoped the burning.

My rash came up on my thing and my entire tummy...and on my right leg on the side I had a rash like a deep mark 7 inches long .It was scary as at teh same time I sow a big rash on my back and was itchy as hell.1 month later my body said no more levaquin.That was the turning point.

So I do not know what it was...but it came out and went away .It stayed there for 1 month

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had symptoms come back in 2 days, it was Babesia for me.

Be careful what you read on here, because some of it is not true, you CAN get symptoms back in 2 days, I had been off Biaxin for 2 days and symptoms came back. Intolerant to light was back, I shoook in the light very very badly.
loose feeling in body from light too, hands curl in the light too,

I was and am very sick from this disease, and would die without continual treatment, some are not nearly as bad off as some of us are, and they simply have no idea how bad this disease can get for some of us,

Such as the alternative treatments, I have no idea how some can have this work for them, I did them and near died, I thought to myself, how crazy this disease is,

See if you have Babesia.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health, I agree with you. I went off of Mepron for two days and my symptoms started coming back on the 2nd day. Scary. I too think I would be dead if I weren't on continual antibiotics.

I think I have a much more virulent strain of Bb and the co's than others. I was near death only 15 months after being bit. I've met other Lyme pts who have been ill for 10 or more years, and weren't as ill as I was in only 15 months.

I started taking much higher doses than normal now of doxy and mepron, and it seems to be makiing a bigger dent in the infection. will it get rid of it so I can get off of antibiotics? Who knows? I still herx when I take meds, and after I get to the point where I no longer herx on meds, I think I should probably continue taking the meds for another 4-6 months before stopping, just to be extra cautious.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 days going off 5 months of iv treatment but talking oral doxy, and I hit the wall...BIG TIME!
swelling, pain, itching,...

Very scary and disappointing!

LLMD thought Bart rearing ugly head. Started more (oral)antibiotics: doxy and cefdinir plus plaquinil and Fluconzole

Slowly getting back to where I was- you can never tell w/Lyme and co-infections...

Good luck,
wantabe

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I read that if symptoms come back quickly after quitting abx, look for bartonella. My LLMD says that Lyme is slow growing, and doesn't reermerge that quickly. You may have co infections that are coming back quickly.

IMO, CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

You should not be taking fluconazole and prilosec together. The prilosec will interfere w/the fluconazole. Also prilosec encourages overgrowth of yeast and other unwanted organisms, because it gets rid of the acid that keeps their numbers down.

There are alternatives, like gastrocrom, or even Tums. Prilosec is a bad idea if you have gastritis from yeast. We got better w/out it...

As for getting sick when you stop antibiotics, that happened to me, and it happened the first day, every time I tried to go off. This is the main reason that I was on them for 6 years.

My LLMD told me that I was one of a group of patients he had who would have to stay on them for life.

When I just couldn't stand taking them anymore, I started taking them every other day, then cut the dose, then increased the interval, and so weaned myself off slowly.

I sought out a functional medicine MD to help me get off, and he told me that it might not be the withdrawal of the antibiotics' bacteria-killing properties that was causing my relapses, but the withdrawal of the antibiotics' antiinflammatory properties.

I also felt that maybe my immune system had become dependent on the abx, and needed to get back to speed gradually.

You can, apparently, go off cold turkey, but expect a few weeks of withdrawal. This is, at least, what he told me.

But I could not be that dysfunctional, with three kids to take care of. So I weaned.

If you want to stay on abx, you can do the fluconazole with the abx. But if you gut can't handle it anymore, then expect some trouble stopping.

We (two of us in my family) got our guts better by identifying food allergies as well as treating yeast, and the anti-inflammatory liquid gastrocrom helped a lot too. We were on fluconazole for at least 6 weeks.

We never did get back on abx, once our guts healed.

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is some wrong info on this thread

i can't believe how people write stuff as if it is true

sinple, basic stuff

i know one explanation is we all have lyme brains

but i would warn any new person to do their own research and talk to their doc cuz some of this stuff is just wrong-factually wrong.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by laura j:
Now just 2 days later, my scalp feels numb and I have tiny, itchy red bumps that look like flea bites. I haven't had these 2 symptoms in over a year. I think that's really strange.

Sounds like yeast to me. Diflucan works on yeast and you're bound to have it...esp if you haven't been following the anti-yeast diet faithfully.

This could be a yeast herx.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us are just repeating what our LLMD's tell us. And if we trust them then we believe them. My LLMD said that being on antibiotics for LD for months at a time, that no way are they out of your system in just 2 days. I am not saying this as my own fact; just repeating what a doctor with plenty of experience has told me. And besides it just stands to reason that the antibiotics would not disappear from your system in that short of a time when taking them for months and months.

Possibly return of symptoms has to do with Babesia. I know it has been my main source of
misery. Or maybe another co infection that has a shorter cycle than Lyme.

When people claim that in just 2 short days of being off antibiotics that their Lyme symptoms return, that just plays into the IDSA's belief that we are somehow addicted to antibiotics.

I am not trying to be rude, but I think the idea of antibiotics skipped for 2 days could bring back symptoms of Lyme is simple not sound science.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme can come back immediately. But yes, it's very likely it's babesia rearing it's ugly head.....or YEAST.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

When I've had to stop my antibiotics to get retested, my symptoms would always start to return within 24 hours. By 2 or 3 days later, it was as if I never took any antibiotics, so I disagree that these medications will stay in your system long enough to hold any infections you have at bay.
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme symptoms dont usually worsen after 2 days of stopping abx. if you get worse after stopping abx, it is usually because of a coinfection.

My LLMD told me that abx stays in your system for up to 10 days. And I know that is true because I went in the sun after I stopped doxy and still got burned days after.

I also got worse after immediately stopping abx and I attributed it to a coinfection, which I believe was related bartonella.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Gem is right. If your symptoms return it is likely due to a co infection and yes antibiotics will stay in your system up to 10 days after stopping them.
tickled1
Member # 14257

If I had yeast in my gut, I would be gassy, right? I'm really not but I was also thinking that hives could be from a die-off of yeast.

lpkayak-What info is wrong? If you don't want to say on here I understand. You can PM me if you want.

I am on prilosec now for symptoms that seemed like an ulcer and it seems to be helping. My LLMD ordered a test for H. Pylori today so we'll see. I guess the hives could be from that too, or who knows what else.

I was going to do another course of Diflucan but now I'm not sure if I should b/c of what Shosty says about them interfering w/each other and I don't want to stop the Prilosec yet b/c it seems to be working.

I took it for a few days a couple of weeks ago and stopped when I started to feel better and the stomach pain/burning came right back. It's hard to stop something that seems to be working but I also wanted to do a course of Diflucan. Not sure what to do.

I asked my LLMD if there are any prescription probiotics and she said they do give one to patients in the hospital called Lactinex. She said she wasn't sure if my insurance would cover it but she said she'd write me a prescription and see what happens. Is anyone familiar w/Lactinex?

Shosty
Unregistered

Did you have an endoscopy to diagnose yeast or ulcer, or are the MD's just guessing? Don't make decisions based on what anyone here says, but let our posts guide you in your appointments with MD's. You can find info on the interactions online, or ask the MD to check.

Also, do you know whether you have food allergies? I mean not just the ones that can be tested w/blood tests, but the ones that can be diagnosed through elimination.

Science can't explain a lot of things that we all deal with. I no longer cared what the explanation was, for how sick I became when I went off abx. For a few years, I just accepted that I had to stay on, and tried maybe twice a year to get off. Then, as I said, I sought expert MD help in getting off, which worked over a few months.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement