LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Unknown organism cultured from blisters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unknown organism cultured from blisters
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicoles Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the blisters my daughter had which I posted about here.

The general consensus from folks here on lymenet is that they may be Bart blisters.

A picture of what they look like is at:
http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/bjmbr/v40n4/6497i06peq.jpg

An artical about them is at:

http://dermnetnz.org/bacterial/bacillary-angiomatosis.html

I just got a call from the supporting doc saying an unknown organism has been cultured from the blisters.

Not staff or shingles or anything else they can identify.

She says they are going to grow them for another 280 days to see if they can find something.

What does that mean?

Haven't they already found something?

Will growing it more days make it more identifiable?

Should they maybe send it somewhere else to have it identified?

If it is Bartonells, shouldn't they have been able to identify it?

Does this mean it is NOT Bartonella?

She could not answere these questions.

And suggestions on how to get the unknown organism identified?

Thanks

Posts: 93 | From Illinois / Ontario | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does she still have the blisters?

Don't know if this could in any way be Morgellons or not. Maybe that would be another possibility to consider.

Maybe call the microbiologist at Clongen Labs -- Dr K.

http://www.clongen.com

That lab seems to have some of the best DNA testing around.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't really see anything about blisters in regards to Morgellon's symptoms. It's mainly non-healing wounds & fibers present.

Blisters can be a symptom of herpes. I don't know much about bart or the other co-infections.

I hope you can find more about this. I'm sorry you have to go through it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicoles Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't think it is Morgellons.

Doesn't look like it and no fibers.

I guess my main concern is how can it be an "unknown organism" and what can be done to figure out what it is.

Regarding sending it to another lab, can I insist we do this?

I suggested that and the doc said "that is the lab we use and they are the ones who cultered it".

Does this mean they own it?

The blisters are gone so we can't reculture for some other lab.

Thanks

Posts: 93 | From Illinois / Ontario | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tick-borne "bartonella" has yet to be definitively identified.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

quote:
Originally posted by adamm:
The tick-borne "bartonella" has yet to be definitively identified.

Major confution here.

How can people be tested for it with positive results if it has never been identified?

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

For what might help: I had a mouth full of ulcers for four years.

I've been on andrographis for a couple months now. They all disappeared after the first week and are still gone. Nothing else worked this well for me. Nothing.

You can search Andrographis at Pubmed. There are 220 abstracts. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

No cross references with ulcers or with blisters, but it sure helped me. If you do try it, be sure to have enough lab samples for testing before starting it.

Andrographis is also discussed at length in Buhner's book: "Healing Lyme . . . "

==========

A couple kinds of Porphyria can cause blisters.

You don't need to reply but here are some things to consider:

Does your daugher have trouble with perfumes, certain medicines . . . is she sensitive to sound or light?

Has she ever had blisters as a reaction to sun exposure?

Have any new carpets or textiles recently come into your home?

Has she recently been exposed to chemicals? Or to heavy metals? (Some children's soft vinyl lunch boxes contain lead.)

Does she have trouble digesting meat?

If so, you might take a look at this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071168

Topic: PORPHYRIA LINKS - Re: Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sorry--I'm talking about BLO, not B. Henselae.

It's something that they've observed in blood smears but have
been unable to classify. Current thinking is that it's either an
not-yet-described bart species or a mycoplasma.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at this site, it mentions blisters/pustules in the discussion section.
I'm not comparing animals to people but most studies are done on animals first.

http://priory.com/vet/cfsdogs.htm

Let me know if you find anything !
Al

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Look familiar?
These blisters on a young girl's arm are the result of a skin infection by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.  - nichols
This was also a little girl.
check google images
google images

[ 18. November 2008, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...don't know if this will help, but I just saw an episode on Mystery Diagnosis where a lady had Morgellans and Lyme.

This doctor was one of very few who knew about Morgellans. Not sure if she discovered it or what, but she knew about it.

Maybe you can find the episode and contact her with a picture of your daughter's blisters. Maybe she will know what it is.

The lady on the show had been to several doctors with no answer. So give it a try, you never know. She might be the one to help you all.

Posts: 117 | From Winston Salem NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

She (her blisters)tested negative for staf.

The second photo posted as staff is also the exact same photo (EXACT) posted under google images as bart.

[confused]

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

What else are they testing for? Surely more than just one thing, I hope.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

From Bea Seibert - a lab that tests tissue samples. You can also call Igenex and talk to them. www.igenex.com

http://www.clongen.com

1-877-256-6436 - in Maryland

microbiologist - Dr Kilani at Clongen Labs - he is very willing to answer a few questions. Very cordial.

There would be someone in customer service for the more practical questions, of course.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement