LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Terrible nausea...doxy, rifampin, or malarone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrible nausea...doxy, rifampin, or malarone?
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I been getting this terrible nausea for the past few days or so. Im having trouble figuring out whats causing it.

last week i upped my doxy dose to 400 mg a day and added malarone along with the rifampin im taking.

That night i woke up with herrendous nausea and felt like i needed to vomit. I assumed it was from the malarone so i gave that a rest for a few days and continued with the doxy and rifampin.

The nausea continued and has gottne really bad the past couple days...to the point where i couldnt sleep and have been having trouble eating.

My stomach just feels very sour and tender all over..but the nausia is what is the worst. I have the nausia worst late at night and early morning...its all pretty constant though.

Today i stopped all meds to see if i gave it a break things would get better. Im still really bad and kinda concerned.

What do u guys think could have caused this? Do u think upping the doxy could be causing this terrible nausea and stomach upset? Could just one malarone have done this?

I cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks for listening.

Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have nausea with Malarone, but I only took one pill per day. I know another lymie who had HORRENDOUS nausea from Malarone. So it could be that.

Or, it could just be a babesia herx, which would explain why it continued even when you stopped the Malarone. When I first took Mepron I got horrible nausea and I swear it was the herx and not the drug itself.

Also, could be the doxy. I think eating with doxy is okay as long as it's not dairy products. I could be wrong though. So maybe eat with it? Experiment with different foods.

For me ice cream works well against nausea but it is dairy. I think it is because the sugar gives me quick relief, and the fat holds me over. So maybe try to find something that has simple carbs in it at least.....like a granola bar.....but something softer because i feel like its' easier on the stomach. So maybe some coconut macaroons or something? (sweetened with honey if you don't do white sugar)

Either way, good luck!!!! Hope it subsides over time....but if it doesn't, try to stick it out because it could be a babesia herx.

Treating babesia can be miserable, so no matter what the nausea might be part of the package of getting rid of the illness. My guess would be that if you took a babesia blood test right now it would come back positive. The parasites are probably going nuts. People that have bad babesia can loose the desire to eat.

Eat whatever helps you keep your drugs down, because I would think the benefits of staying on Malarone outweigh the negatives of eating unhealthy food.

Again good luck...I know it's hard. Trust your gut...no pun intended.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertcanyon
Member # 17998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertcanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never taken rifampin or malarone, but I did get very nauseated when I increased my dosage of doxycycline. I was nauseated for about a week and threw up several times.

Not only is it okay to eat with doxycycline, but for me it was necessary.

What Hoosiers said is right -- just don't eat any dairy products with it or anything with minerals in it (such as multivitamins, mineral supplements, or antacids) because they interfere with the absorption of the medication.

To get rid of the nausea, I had to increase the amount of food I ate with the dose, and the type of food needed to be of a more absorbent nature. For example, if I ate a big bowl of oatmeal with my doxycycline, I was totally fine.

Ginger tea or ginger ale is also great for nausea.

Hope this helps!

[ 18. November 2008, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: desertcanyon ]

--------------------
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love

Posts: 61 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy can create terrible nausea. Do you take your doxy and malarone with lots of food, like after a large meal? That could help.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for me had nausea as symptom before tx and increased with abt. use (LLMD told me is symptom of co-infection and cant remember what one..sorry)

zofran (is rx) very effective but ins. only lets you have so many per month as very expensive

now have rx for phenergan cream from LLMD that is wonderful !! just rub on arm and get relief
without swallowing a sour pill or dealing with suppository

mine would get bad and then vomitting would start and hard to stop..better now that i have help to control it.

peppermint tea too..calms my stomach

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doxcy made me through up blue/grren eat toast 1/2 before taking your 200mg then after dinner take the 2nd dosage. yesterday at work doxcy and i didnt agree ........... it was awful

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies and advice everybody.

I havent taken any meds or supps the past couple days. Im trying to let my stomach chill and hopefully get better so i can restart everything.

Im still not sure what is causing or caused this stomach sourness and nausea. Im guessing it was the doxybut who really knows. Ive always had stomach issues and a sensitive stomach.

I called my dr and he said to give my stoamch a few days break and then go back down to 200 mg for now.

I also have some tea and ginger candies which help a little bit.

Anyways, Thanks again,

Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found doxy made me blow chunks but minocin didnt.

However, Dr B claims minocin was the LEAST effective tetra...which I find very disappointing.

try ozone sauna. Seems a great ticket for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did find in early TX that viturally ANY abx made me sick to stomach.

I discovered it appeared to be herx related, strange I know.

But nausa wore off often in time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertcanyon
Member # 17998

Icon 10 posted      Profile for desertcanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James said
quote:
doxy made me blow chunks...
LOL [lol]

--------------------
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love

Posts: 61 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, doxy made me vomit no matter what I did. I started taking it the day of a job interview, so I thought maybe I was just nervous. But sure enough, a half hour or so after I took it, it came back up on me.
Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement