LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is this a nightmare? My 13 year old son now has a NEW Lyme infection...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a nightmare? My 13 year old son now has a NEW Lyme infection...
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I cannot believe this... [Embarrassed]

Just last week, after waiting for six months to have our 13 year old son checked out by Dr. Jones, he clinically diagnosed our son with congential Lyme Disease. Both our children could be the poster children for congenital Lyme.

My husband is very ill with Chronic Lyme, just passed the ten year mark. He has been unable to work for a year and a half.

I have Chronic Lyme, just passed the four year mark, though clearly was initially infected as a teenager based on my complex medical history in my late teens/early twenties.

Our 19 year old son is clearly a congenital Lymie, even our pediatrician believes so. Five years ago, he was bitten and confirmed to have a new case of Lyme Disease. He has never bounced back, and is a Chronic Lymie.

So you can see why we brought our 13 year old son, who loved to brag about being the ONLY family member without Lyme Disease, to Dr. Jones to be checked. By the way, he has lived in constant fear of getting Lyme after watching the rest of his family deteriorate and become pretty nonfunctional.

Four days ago, our son woke up in the morning crying and saying his neck hurt really badly and he couldn't turn his head. We couldn't even touch it. This lasted into Sunday, but seemed slightly better Monday and today, Tuesday. Well, okay, it's Wednesday now officially...my husband and I are so upset we can't even think of sleeping.

Because he went to the school nurse yesterday and today, I made him an appt with his pediatrician. By the way, he has complained of lots of stomach issues and pains "like I've never felt before" the last couple of days.

Now of course, we know we are so paranoid about Lyme that we don't want to think every ache and pain is sure to be that. We even joked that he must have caught it just by being in Dr. Jone's office.

This evening, his pediatrician checked him out and said he probably slept funny on his neck a few nights ago.

We got home, and a little while later our son came downstairs and said, "Mom, I feel a lump on my head. I think it's a tick."

Let the nightmare begin.

On the back of his head, just in the nape of his neck, was a fully engorged tick. All around it was red, a rash that disseminated about two inches in diameter. We got out the IGENEX tick removal kit, and worked on this sucker for close to an hour.

IT WOULD NOT LET GO. Finally I spoke with two ERs, his pediatricians, and all the awesome people on Lyme Chat. The verdict was, just pull the sucker out even though clearly it would leave parts behind.

My husband had to use all his strength for several minutes to get the tick out; I mean his arms were shaking. Finally it came off, still alive and literally kicking, but left a leg and the "snorkel" behind.

My husband had to dig and cut them out of our son's head. He was screaming in pain.

We are just in shock. Would anyone really believe all four of us have Lyme Disease? I took pictures of the whole process lest anyone think we were overreacting to a flea or something.

Our pediatrician said she will put him on 200 mg of Doxy for six weeks. Of course we will call Dr. Jones tomorrow, and are sending the tick off to be tested because our son JUST five days ago had IGENEX and CLONGEN testing done, to the tune of about $600.

Now I imagine he'll have to have it all over again!!! We are hoping to get some answers by having the tick tested.

My poor little boy. His worst fear, Lyme Disease, has come true. He asked us if he was going to die. Living in this household, to him this must feel like he was just told he has leukemia.

I am in shock. Yet, sadly, a part of me has always felt like it was just a matter of time. It seemed to be a bullet he just couldn't dodge.

I am wondering:

1. Since he has congenital Lyme already, will this be really bad with the new infection?

2. Since the tick was at the nape of his neck, will it be really bad since it is so close to his brain, spinal cord, etc, and was clearly attached for several days?

Any voices of experience or words of wisdomm will be most appreciated. I just can't believe this.

Thank you again to all my wonderful friends on Lyme Chat who walked me through this tonight, complete with viewing all the nauseating pictures of the engorged tick attached to his scalp. I love you guys!!! You're the best.

God help my little boy....

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wishing your son good health and so sorry to hear you are having to deal with this and I am sure it is very scary. I hope he is fine and that you because you found the tick soon enough so hopefully all will be okay.

Try to just give it up all up to the heavens to be healed and get some sleep and try not to worry. I know it is easier said then done but do try to get some rest so you can be a strong rock for your son tomorrow.

Wishing your whole family improved health and that you son does his course of medicine and is fine. He is young and healthy so has his youth going for him.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no Tracy! [Eek!]

I wish I were closer to just give you a big hug.

This is the best I can do right now.

[group hug]

I don't think the closeness to the brain really matters.

It spreads through the blood stream.

So, it could be anywhere and traverse through the brain (blood supply).

Is doxy safe for a 13 year old?

I thought that the starting age was 17, but I may be wrong.

I think as your son already has antibodies to Lyme,

His ability to fight this new infection would be pretty darn good.

Especially with the help of antibiotics.

I would be more worried about co-infections.

We know that immediate antibiotics can rid the body of this invader.

Take a deep breath Mom.

Call Dr. J and see what course he recommends.

So sorry you are in this boat.

Sending you and your family prayers and positive thoughts.

Remember to take a picture of that rash, okay?

Just in case.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about your son I know the feeling I was on 8 years abxs then off abxs 8months and bitten in town.
The strange thing this time I had a bulleye never out of hundred or so bites did i ever have a bullseye?

Treat and tell him good luck.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
200 mg of doxy? Thats it? I am so sorry to hear your story. I know too many families where everyone is infected including my own family. I am guessing the biggest worry, besides not being treated with enough ABX, is if he received a strain of lyme he didn't already have and if he picked up a new coinfection. Good luck. Look on the bright side, at least you know what to do. There are so many parents out there that wouldn't know how to help their child and may just go along with whatever ignorant advice the pediatrician gave them, liking sleeping on his neck the wrong way! I personally would find a new pediatrican. I'm interested in knowing what he said about your finding the tick after he put off your mothers intuition about it being lyme.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry that you and your son, and all your family have to deal with this.

Treat it aggressively and long enough and thank god that you caught this early. My best wishes for his quick recovery.

And what in the world are ticks doing out and feeding in mid-November? Shouldn't they all be hibernating by now? Do you know where he might have picked up the tick?

[group hug]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,
What a nightmare!!! I'm so sorry! Being a parent, I can understand how scary this is, we are in the process of having our 3 children tested for congenital Lyme.

Please keep us updated on his progress, I hope the treatment is fast and effective.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!! Tracy !!!!!

Did you call already to Dr J's, I wouldn't have additional testing. If I were you I would find first how he does with treatment..... time will tell.

How often is your new chat on?

Tracy I think you eventually have to move IMO...... LOve and Hugs to you!!!!

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry (((tracy)))

If you are retesting than i hope u are for coinfections also....

cuz the bullseye confirms lyme in itelf.

You asked about getting reinfected... if he already has lyme (was he on meds yet?) he could get another strain but i think the real difference would be if he contracted a coinfection he didnt have..

I would just keep track of his symtpoms for dr. j. As you know it may give him some indication on how to treat...

But the good news is that his immune system seemed to keep the first infection in check all these years...

and that even though he has developed symptoms this infection ...he is diagnosed treated right away ... and as we know that is a big plus. And a bigger plus he has a llmd from the start.

hugs to you and your family tracy [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much everybody!

Dr. Jones office responded immediately and have called Zithromax and Minocycline into our pharmacy. Just waiting for my hubby or son to go pick it up.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad you son has meds on the way. The hairline is a favorite spot of ticks.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad to hear that Dr. J's office phoned in those abx for him. Aren't you glad you had that appt. last week!. I feel better about the situation already. Hang in there.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticks suck for sure. Sorry to hear that another one got you. Dr J is the man and will fix your son up.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very cold out now for tick activity. Maybe it was a few days ago when it was unseasonably warm in the 60's when the tick got him?

Can you move? It unfortunately sounds like the risk of getting bitten again for the whole family is high. Even a different house in a different neighborhood but same town could be 1000 times safer. It depends--if there are small lawns, no wooded areas, near the town itself, and deer don't traipse around there, you can be safe, whereas a mile or two away, you could be at high risk.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 2 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are in Connecticut...of course we would believe you all have Lyme!

I just read this post for the first time... would have said "Call Jones"... but you already did. (This is why I never minded when one of his staff interupted my sons' appts to ask a question. [Wink] Distraught parents need answers quickly!)

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Tracy, I'm so sorry. At least you are getting treatment right away! You already had an appointmentand you didn't have to wait 3 months!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Gail

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks, Carla, interesting observation. I remember as a kid often finding ticks in my hairline now that you mention it. In fact I just thought that was where they went, the nape of the neck. I'd forgotten that.

Keith, Cody and Ryan both have a huge laundry list of symptoms they have had since birth. I would never think congenital Lyme otherwise. I have always said, why are my kids so screwed up? When I find the list I've typed up I'll post it. It's just that to the non Lyme Literate eye, they look like a bunch of unrelated symptoms for no apparent reason. It wasn't until I did some reading on Congenital Lyme I couldn't really deny it anymore.

Hey guys, we are all waiting for both of you over on www.lymefriends.com. C'mon, join up...it just isn't the same without you! You can double dip, really!!!!

[Wink]

--------------------

Tracy9
Member # 7521

quote:
Originally posted by oxygenbabe:
It's very cold out now for tick activity. Maybe it was a few days ago when it was unseasonably warm in the 60's when the tick got him?

Can you move? It unfortunately sounds like the risk of getting bitten again for the whole family is high. Even a different house in a different neighborhood but same town could be 1000 times safer. It depends--if there are small lawns, no wooded areas, near the town itself, and deer don't traipse around there, you can be safe, whereas a mile or two away, you could be at high risk.

Oct and Nov are the months where I have always seen the highest tick activity here. They only rest when it is below 35 degrees. We will see them all year long, it's been cold but not too cold for ticks by any means.

Moving is not an option. We are lucky to own our house, and since being sick, we are going into bankruptcy. We would never be able to get housing again; our credit is so bad and we have no income to show, so we couldn't even get approved for an apartment....not to mention we are way too sick to even THINK about moving.

Plus I don't think it is safe anywhere. Ticks are everywhere. Maybe there are more here than other places for sure, but it only takes one.

We spray our yard like fanatics, treat our pets, and follow all the precautions if we go outside. It doesn't matter, you can get one no matter what. Birds drop them, mice drop them, another person can carry on one them into your house. Maybe a kid in the seat before him in school dropped it on the chair and it crawled on him.

You can't escape them. You can only manage it the best you can. One thing we have done that is new is allow hunters onto our land this year. We are now actively reducing our deer population, which has exploded. The first deer was killed today, the opening day of hunting season.

It wasn't easy for my husband and I, I didn't see it but he felt very badly for the deer. But having attended an excellent workshop on Lyme Disease and deer management, we totally get that the balance of nature is off now and we are taking a responsible step to head off disease spread.

Our town is 85 percent undeveloped land, mostly woods. Deer are absolutely everywhere. They don't even run when cars drive by.

I don't think anywhere is safe. I guess the only silver lining is now we all have it, so at least we are being treated??? Dr P once told us, now is the time to go out in the woods. You are on enough meds to cover Lyme and all coinfections, so go for it!

--------------------

Tracy9
Member # 7521

quote:
Originally posted by Lymeindunkirk:
Look on the bright side, at least you know what to do. There are so many parents out there that wouldn't know how to help their child and may just go along with whatever ignorant advice the pediatrician gave them, liking sleeping on his neck the wrong way! I personally would find a new pediatrican. I'm interested in knowing what he said about your finding the tick after he put off your mothers intuition about it being lyme.

Actually our pediatrician is awesome. She is quite Lyme Literate, and has always listened to us go on and on about Lyme Disease for the past five years. She has attended seminars, read Cure Unknown, and is going to do the preceptorship with an ILADS doctor.

Frankly, we are trying to convince her to be the next Dr. Jones. She has all the right makings of someone who could follow in his footsteps.

I did not even mention Lyme Disease when I brought him in, just that his neck hurt. I mean, really, we can't honestly think that every muscle pain or strain is Lyme Disease. I actually think it is very odd that it turned out to be so! So she did not dismiss my parental intution at all, and he had just had all the Lyme and co testing done five days before at Dr Jones.

When I spoke to her on the phone, she calmly instructed us on what to do about the tick, and said she would call in six weeks of Doxy for him. I told her I had some in the house and she told me to give him some right away. What I was impressed by was that she never even mentioned doing a Lyme test, that she was very clear based on his symptoms and the tick that immediate treatment was in order.

I think that's a good start for a small town pediatrician.

--------------------

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This story is so horrendous that it makes me want to up and and move to someplace like Death Valley, CA...but even then, I hear they are getting weird organisms from across the border.

I'm so sorry Tracy. I can't believe how many prisoners this F^&%$ed up illness takes.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement