LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is thyroid treatment dangerous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is thyroid treatment dangerous?
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid is within normal range, but on the low side of it. The doctor wants me to treat it with Armour. Could this be dangerous?

I'm overwhelmed with trying to read up on the links between thyroid and adrenals and what it all means!

thank you

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe so at low doses. I'm in your boat too. TSH between 2-3. I'd like it lower. However, I seem too sensitive to Armour and don't like the way I feel on even a 30 gr dosage.

I get jittery and can feel my heart beating harder. I don't know if it's a temporary adjustment by my body or a refusal to accept the medication.

Note, my T3 is very high normal. T4 is low normal. Maybe the T3 in Armour is putting me over the edge which is NOT good.

My holistic doc is an expert in thyroid supplementation and has written books on the subject. He strongly recommends Armour for clinical Dx of hypo and a big proponent of Iodoral supplementation as well.

So the bottom line is Armour doesn't seem like a magic bullet for me. Maybe it will be for you. I have not given Iodoral a fair chance as the dosage scares the H### out of me.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never had armour; been on synthroid for 20 years, and will be the rest of my life...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was prescribed a thyroid medication from a compounding pharmacy. It may be less harsh than some of the drugs out there.

I think they can alternate the dosages via the prescription. I not taking it any more. I think my thyroid results improved from it.

Kelp is a supplement that is supposed to be helpful for the thyroid. I take a small amount as a supplement just to be sure I'm getting enough iodine.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man! this is really confusing.
high and low at the same time?

my doc told me to back off the meds if i got shakey.

not really feeling like taking them at all right now!

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have read, if you have adrenal gland problems, it is not good to treat your thyroid without first treating the adrenals or treating both at the same time.

In other words, it is dangerous to treat the thyroid without first or simultaneously treating the adrenals.

Hopefully your doctor knows about hormones and adrenal insufficiency and how to treat both the thyroid and the adrenals.

For us who have Lyme, we can only be treated for adrenal insufficiency with natural supplementation, and not steroids.

There are transdermal hormone creams and sublingual liquids that can be used for the adrenals.

If you need more information about why, please ask.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on synthroid for 15+ years. Also added in some Cytomel in the past few years. This stuff is very safe unless you're trying huge doses.

I didn't like Armour either...made me very hungry for some reason. As your doc said, just be aware of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism in case you're getting too much.

And, yes, thyroid replacement may exacerbate adrenal issues if there are any present...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrenal gland treatment- what kind of supplements treat it? I"m wondering what my doc is using to treat it with.

I am taking thyroid meds from a compound pharmacy. I am not worried about the adrenal/thyroid treatment. But I trust my lLMD knows this stuff

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TSH is in the 5's and I am still not sure that it is going to be treated, or that I want it to be. I am very reluctant, because it is a lifelong decision.

My current MD says that fatigue in the am is thyroid, and fatigue in the pm is adrenal, generalizing. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't even tell if I am fatigued in the morning, because the pain then masks the fatigue!

My doctor is having me do the saliva test for adrenal function before deciding what to do.

A TSH in the 2's or 3's, like the poster's, would not be bad enough for me to take thryoid replacement, but I am scared. A doctor gave me meds 3 years ago and I did not take them.

My current MD seemed to think that my TSH's rapid change over time is more significant than the lab value itself, and I also have a high ANA, which would show some autoimmune attack. But he is being very careful because he is sure my adrenal function is low too.

On the other hand, my daughter's endocrinologist would not treat her TSH values that were in the high 3's, as I recall, and said it was "sick euthyroid syndrome," and that the Lyme was causing the lab value and dip in thryoid function, rather than a primary problem with her thyroid.So he said not to treat it.

This turned out to be hogwash. When her new MD finally put her on T4 and T3, her health improved a lot.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
I don't believe so at low doses. I'm in your boat too. TSH between 2-3. I'd like it lower. However, I seem too sensitive to Armour and don't like the way I feel on even a 30 gr dosage.

I get jittery and can feel my heart beating harder. I don't know if it's a temporary adjustment by my body or a refusal to accept the medication.

I've experienced similar with Armour. I think Armour can be good for people who need the T3 and the other hormones found in it. For those who have enough T3, IMO there are better choices than Armour. In that situation, I'd certainly try supplementing T4 only, such as levoxyl.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

The typical thyroid tests can miss some things, according to some doctors. There are several good books about thyroid treatment on the market.

Both of the books below discuss, in detail, the entire endocrine system and how it is affected by lyme disease. Treatment methods are suggested as well.

--

This book is by an ILADS member LLMD:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

===================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections (such as Cpn). The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of cortisol from the stress of this illness. The Singleton book (linked above) also discussed the importance of the endocrine connection.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

www.amazon.com

(through the link here and right on to the book's page: http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l )

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

Several customer reviews and you can look inside the book at the link

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why thyroid treatment would be dangerous. It can be dangerous if you don't treat hypothyroid/hyperthyroid when it needs treated.

I am hypothyroid, but only borderline. I've been in treatment for two or so years now. Started on Synthroid and have been on Synthroid since. My last LLMD added in Armour to take WITH Synthroid as well, which I found odd, but have heard more doctors are doing it now.

The only dangerous thing about treating thyroid is getting too much thyroid hormone and then having what is called a thyroid storm, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. I don't think it happens very often. You just have to watch your thyroid levels and have them checked often.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement