LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone who has been better with doxy???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone who has been better with doxy???
hilde
Member # 18209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

I wandering if it is someone who has been better with doxycycline treatment?
This is my second week on doxy,and i am worse.
If someone has been better,after how long treatment?

Best wishes Hilde

Posts: 29 | From oslo | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hilde,

You could be experiencing what they call the herxeimer reaction, or (herx) which means your body is reacting to the abx. You should eventually feel better.

The Herxheimer reaction (also known as Jarisch-Herxheimer or herx) occurs when large quantities of toxins are released into the body as bacteria (typically Spirochetal bacteria) die, due to antibiotic treatment.

You may also want to check with your doctor in case you are experiencing adverse reactions to doxy.

While on doxy, you should not take with dairy, no sun whatsoever, and never lay day down within a half hour of taking it or you can get serious gastric damage.

You should also take 2 hours away from anything else. If you are experiencing stomach problems, you can take it with food.

Your doctor may have already suggested taking a very good refrigerated brand high culture/high strain probiotic. This helps to put back in all the good bacteria the antibiotics kills along with the bugs. It is very important to replenish often.

Also to avoid yeast, which is common problem while on long term antibiotics, you might want to take an herbal antifungal, such as oregano, olive leaf, etc. These herbs will kill yeast that can grow out of control while on antibiotics.

PS. I did very well on doxy, it helped me very much in the beginning until my LLMD switched abx.

Hope this helps you a little. [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you better now? how long have you been treated with abx? I take doxy IV.
Posts: 29 | From oslo | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilde,

I am very much better probably 95% so far, but I was never on IV.

My treatment started in May of this year and I am still or oral abx at the moment. Trying to kill what we think is some bart.

I think it takes a while to see any results, especially if you had lyme for a long time before diagnosis.

I am sorry, but sometimes it can be a long road to recovery.

Did you have a rash? How long did you have lyme? Were you tested for coinfections?

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlc
Member # 18061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only had the 21 day treatments on doxy (3 times now) and everytime I started feeling better immediately, by the second day. Yes, definetly stay out of the sun. The first time I didn't believe the pharmacist and boy did I pay.
Posts: 60 | From WI | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome hilde! UFFDA!

i have norwegian roots too; was to norway for our only time in 84!! dad was pick pocketed as we left our oslo hotel to get on bus to go to airport; he had CASH; no traveler's checks for this iowa farmer!

yes, doxy; be careful of sun and DRIVING! you can read more in my newbie package links; sun sensitivities and NOIR sunglasses!!

Welcome; i'm so glad you found us!! You've come to the right place for education and support!

Dr. Burrascano's most recent "Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses" @

http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_0905.html

suggests that you discuss with your doctor continuing treatment until you are symptom free for 2 months.

this link, making the most of your LLMD visit, may help you also.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=020605#000005

please see BettyG's newbie package info on the link below; click on link at bottom of my package. Check it out as time permits for you!
@ http://tinyurl.com/58eyou

Fyi: we have over 1000 viewers daily; 200 - 400 posting/replying; so specific titles get our time/replies. non-specific ones, i sob, scroll on by!

Also, please be very specific in the subject line what you will be discussing so more people will be able to assist you.

please go to my newbie links, copy the entire thing, and then print this off....

financial burdens compiled by melanie reber
pages 74 - 92; outstanding info there.

also in my table of contents, for FINANCIAL BURDENS, i believe there are a few more general comments there without links!! print that off too as it's newer info from members thru their own personal, tragic experiences.
thoughts and prayers headed your way..

Betty's POSTING GUIDELINES

When you post or reply, please break up your solid, continuous block text [Smile] welcome to the board! many of us have neuro lyme where we can NOT read long solid block text and be able to comprehend and read it as is.

please edit your post by CLICKING PAPER/PENCIL ICON to right of your name. that opens up BOTH subject line and body text.

now please break up your WORDY SENTENCES into one sentence paragraphs. Then hit ENTER KEY ``THREE`` after each paragraph; we need that space for comprehension.

if you are NOT a wordy person, you can do 2 or 3 total ok. do this for your entire post.

NOTE: you do NOT have to use "", just show the name of person you are responding to, and then type your comment.

IF you need to use "", PLEASE DELETE "BOLD" CODES so it's regular type text we read vs. the DARK, HARSH/PAINFUL BOLDING.

specifically, delete the first 4 characters of 2ND LINE of a ""

[QB] just delete these 4 characters, and BOLDING is GONE! my eyes will really appreciate that; it's one very bad side effect of my having lyme for 38.5 years!! xox

then go to left hand corner and mark box to receive ALL REPLIES, and click EDIT SEND

we thank you for helping us; [Wink] otherwise, we will SOB, SCROLL ON BY, since we can't read to help you. If I see posts like this, I SOB them; to hard on me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Thank you for all the answear.
I have had lyme for 16 years ,before the doctors find it out. I am very sik.Problem to walk and much paralyses in my arms and legs.My first treatment was ceftriaxone IV for 8 mounts.But nothing happend. In july i startet with claritromycin(klacid) and metronidazole IV. But i dident get any better. So now i have startet with doxy. Maby i have had this illness for to long time,so i never will be better. ?i dont know,i am very sceard...

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hilde,

we do NOT get WELL OVERNIGHT; it takes a LONG time and sometimes several years or LONGER!

each of us is so different on how long we've had it and if we have co-infections too. [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy was a great drug for my long un-treated LD and suspected bart.

I took 400 mgs daily for about 15 mos, then switched to mino, which has seemed to help further.

I definitely had herxes and backslides along the way, but the discomfort, pain and inconvenience of that for me just didn't compare to how badly I felt when my illness was UNTREATED.

Doxy is a great, broad spectrum TBD drug if you take it in the proper blood-brain barrier crossing dosage.

Best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hilde,

Hvordon har du det?

Wow it looks like you have been on some heavy treatment so far. I am very curious as to how you got on that. No "normal" Doc would treat with IV meds for that long and still say its lyme. There must be an LLMD in Oslo then ?

I have spent alot of time in Norway over the last year. My girlfriend is from sunnmore.

The others have given you some good advice but you will find most will only have experience with oral doxy.

You have had some good heavy lyme treatment. You might want to look into Bartonella as a possibility.

The symptoms of these co-infections overlap so you never quite know what you are treating. I did not improve at all until I went on Cipro for Bart in tandem with amox for lyme.

After 2 seperate months of cipro I went on to doxy 400 mg and continued to improve but 3 months later the Bart symptoms started to creep back in and then it was down hill from there.

I am telling you this to highlight the importance of treating co-infections.

I am going on to IV Ceft again in a few weeks as I have terrible lyme eye involvement and nothing else is getting in there.

Ha det bra [Smile]
Hoper du snart foler deg bedre

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump for Hilde...anyone have experience with IV Doxy?

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry - I've not used IV Doxy - only oral for 30 days - June 2008. MD would not prescribe any more.

What about Minocycline? It crosses the BBB.

Grace

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islandgirl136
Member # 16696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl136     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I had been placed on Doxy for 3 weeks back in June, I was a mess the hole time I was on it.
I think it broght out every ach and pain in my body. Slowly improved. Now it's been 3 months from treament,getting ready to go back as I am not feeling the greatest again. I get hives and really bad numbness in my hand also really bad flank pain. After my first treatment I did feel much,much better. [Smile]

Posts: 6 | From florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many factors involved. Lyme, from what I understand, has a slow "growth cycle", and I think doxy, especially at the dose most lyme patients are given by non-lyme savvy docs, is only lethal to the Lyme at a certain point in the cycle (probably near the time they are actively dividing). Another factor is the "herxheimer-like reaction" that causes with substantial infections to actually feel sicker, shortly after treatment is started (was around 3 weeks into a treatment, for me).

And for an infection as serious as yours sounds, there are just too many lyme spirochetes in your blood to kill all at once without killing you, too... So, I hate to tell you, but you're probably in for a long ordeal. You need to do everything you can to optimize your chances. With Lyme, unfortunately, the microbiologist seem to have "met their match"-- they seem no closer to figuring it out, and it seems you're still much better off with a "Lyme-literate Doc; these docs concentrate on tickborne diseases and know the treatments that work.

That being said, Doxy is good against Lyme, at higher doses or IV. And it is especially good against the co-infection ehrlichia, so a LLMD is likely to prescribe it, but usually along with another antibiotic simultaneously if that is thought to be likely.

Good luck!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Hei. Jeg har det ikke bra...
I have a lyme doctor in Germany who is treating me.
I have to pay everything by my self. Here in Norway, there ar none lyme doctors. The doctors here mean that chronic lyme not exict.
If you get a positive lyme test, you are lucky if you get two, tre weeks antibiotic treatment.
I think norway and sweden is the worst country you can live in, whith Lyme. NO HELP AT ALL...

hilde
Member # 18209

Is 200 mg doxy IV enough?
Some people take 400 mg pr day oral.
Should i take 400 mg IV???

fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hilde,

IV doxy should be infused slowly. 200mg should infuse over 2 hours.

My daughter has been on IV for almost 2 years. The 1st year she was on Rocephin and than something else that I can't think of right now. (my Lyme brain) She had dramatic improvements with IV Doxy. She has been on it for almost 1 year. She hit a plateau and once she started treating bart she improved even more. She did come off IV Doxy for 3 weeks and got worse quickly. She went back on it and improved.

She did have herxhiemers from the Doxy. Are you addressing coinfections?

Try to hang in there. My daughter was very ill but is now slowly getting her life back.

Take care.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

oh.. i take 200 mg Iv for 30 min.
When did she feel better, after how long time? took she some oter abx to?

hilde
Member # 18209

what kind of medicin took she for the bart?
I dont know if i have some co infec, but i think i have it.

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two lymies in household...400mg doxy/day did nothing. Macrolides/sulfa/artemesinin did.
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

what is sulfa and the other medicin you write. Never heard about it. I have tried macrolid abx to, it dident help me.
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hilde...macrolides most of us use are biaxin(clarithromycin) or zithro(azithromycin)

sulfa widely used is bactrim or septra...(same thing)

artemesinin is an extract of artemesia available from places like www.nutricology.com

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Can i take claritromycin together with doxy?
How big doses?

hilde
Member # 18209

Icon 10 posted      Profile for hilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for how long time did you try doxy?
Thank you for advice.

truckboss
Member # 15457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truckboss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just started doxy, i take 400mg a day. the first day it was like wow, i feel great, the second day oh everything hurts, i have pain where i didnt think you could. i cant stand any longer than 10 minutes, my arms are killing me, and my back feels like its broke. does any of this sound normal?
Posts: 18 | From pittsburgh pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Thats normal. My lyme doctor said that many feals better the first day and so are they getting worse. And that is a good sign.

I felt the same, a little better the first day, but after that just worse. I feel general worsening of my symptoms, and my arms are spesially worse now.
How long have you been taken doxy?
For me it is soon tre weeks.

truckboss
Member # 15457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truckboss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the reply, i've been on doxy for a week now and it hurts everywhere.
i'm taking 2 100mg tabs 2x aday and clarithromycin 500 2 tabs 2 x a day. my doc wants me to get buffered vitamin c too and start that.

i take 1 800mg ibuprofen 3 x a day and hydrocodone 10-325 1 tab 4 x a day and it doesnt even touch the pain.

Posts: 18 | From pittsburgh pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement