LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » pancreatitis diagnosed tonight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pancreatitis diagnosed tonight
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm such a dummy. I've had pain in my upper middle abdomen for months and thought it was just a weird Lyme symptom.

My kidneys have ached, too, and I went to the ER twice about them only to be told there was nothing wrong.

I've been in severe pain recently and got an ultrasound of my gallbladder. It showed sludge and polyps.

The ER doctor told me tonight I'd have to get my gallbladder removed. He said then the pancreatitis will likely go away.

I have to go on a strict no-fat diet and I have to do an all-liquid diet for the next day.

I'm so, so scared. I've been reading about pancreatitis and it doesn't sound good at all. I'm not convinced it will "go away".

What am I supposed to do????? I'm beyond confused about how to balance all the things that are going wrong with my body. I feel like bawling.

I don't want to live like this anymore. I'm so tired.

I don't feel like I can do all this. I am very, very depressed.

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymelady, [group hug] [kiss]

i'm so sorry for all the pain you have been going thru. no pancreatis personal advise ...

fyi, every surgery i've been thru, 13-14, i've had setbacks due to lyme i NEVER KNEW I HAD.

just be prepared for when they open you up, the chetes takes off all over. don't mean to frighten you more ... it's something we all need to be aware of.

can they do lapascopy on your gallbladder vs. the BIG surgery? my thoughts and prayers headed your way... [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, Betty, I AM scared. I'm deathly afraid the spirochetes will go to my heart or my spine. I don't have any sympathetic doctors around here, either. They have written me off as a faker.

Please pray for me.

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with your doctor. Once you have the GB out the pancreatitis will most likely go away.

Hope you can get it out soon and go back to feeling "normal." [normally bad?]

The no fat diet will drop weight like you won't believe. Hope it is short-termed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had my gallbladder out in about 1997. i still have a severe pancreatitis attack that winds me in the hospital or er.

the gastro said at least 40 percent of gallbladder patients end up with something called sphinter of oddi. it's where the bile backs up and goes into the liver and pancreas causing all kinds of problems.

you will have to be low-no fat forever.....sorry,hon, that's the way it is.

if i eat too much fat, wham, i'm on pain meds and at least once a year in the er.

nothing can be done as i won't have the sod surgery as it will probably make things worse.

look up sod and see what you get.

i hope it goes away, i really do.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there [Smile]

Yep I had Pancreatitus too and it sucked in a word! [Big Grin]

I had my gallbladder out when I was 27 a looooong time ago and did not get Pancreatitus till about a year ago. Mine according to my Gastro was caused by taking Plaq for too many years in a row which was about 5 years.

I stopped the Plaq and never had a problem since oh and by the way....I eat fatty stuff all the time now with no problems. [Smile]

Good luck and I would say don't even bother to look to Docs for sympathy, most of them are too desensitized to notice.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bebfire
Member # 18096

Icon 7 posted      Profile for bebfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Limelady,

I am so sorry you are going through this. As if lyme isn't bad enough! [Eek!] Pancreatitis is just the worse pain I have ever gone through!!!

I had an acute attack of pancreatitis back in 2004. I had no idea what it was! My MD asked about my symptoms and rather than go to urgent care he said to go to the ER because urgent care could not do the tests that needed to be done if I had pancreatitis.

Sure enough, he was right about his over-the- phone diagnoses! Later on I asked him why I got it and he said that some people get it and no one knows why.

Since that attack 4 years ago I have had 2 or 3 "mini attacks" just a mild achyness in the area...not bad enough to go to the hospital.

I now see my new MD about it and she does take the needed blood tests and they are usually in range although once it was just slightly elevated on the amylase and lipase but still in range.

I do not have gallstones.

When I feel it possibly coming on, I have found that by eating gingerly, taking in fluids, avoiding fatty foods and keeping an eye out, that I do not get set up for an attack!

Some people have chronic pancreatitis....I don't think I have that but I do believe that with the lyme, no organ gets left untouched so be extra careful...
[kiss]

--------------------
The Lord is my strength and my song

CDC/Igenex- Positive
IGG 31+/- 34+/- 41++
IGM 23-25+++ 31+ 34+/- 39+/- 41+

Posts: 50 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not allow them to remove my gallbladder with empty promises that it will save my pancreas.

Change your diet. Detox. Anything. Just don't let them cut your organs out.

scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my, I'm so sorry! You will definitly be in my prayers!

Have you talked to your LLMD about this?? I know that there are things you can and should do prior to any surgery. I'm assuming that you have a LLMD??? PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM/HER!

Have they scheduled your surgery? What are they doing for your Pancreatitis???

Just a side not----YOU ARE NOT A DUMMY!!!! You've been to the ER several times. Seems as though THEY missed it to no suprise!!

Many prayers your way and be agressive in your research, contacting your LLMD, etc....

Please keep us up-dated, okay!?

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do agree with blaze. having my gallbladder out was the worst thing i could have done.

i had "sludge" but i sincerely think it was not bad enough to be taken out. but stupid me, i listened to the ducks, and now look at me....still suffering....

don't have it out unless it's life threatening.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always, rooting for you Lymelady. In my prayers.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymelady, I also had pancreatitis from a stone blocking the duct. I was in the hospital for three weeks and two days because of it.

It sounds like to me that your doctor has gotten it in the nick of time so don't worry.

My primary didn't listen to my plea and I ended up being ambulanced from her office. I am happy to hear that your finding out sooner than I did.

After I left the hospital, I also went on a bland diet and had my gallbladder out four weeks after. I'm still here and not doing badly. You to will do well. Hang in there! My thoughts and prayers are with you! [kiss]

switzer
Member # 17214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for switzer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Lyme lady. You know i am not really far from you. If I can be of any help with dr suggestions or anything let me know - email me.

Kellie

Posts: 8 | From Liverpool, NY | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my gallbladder out about 10 days after I was married.

Multiple stones.

I had pancreatitis about 3 years after.

While I was pregnant with my second child.

Thirty-six weeks pregnant to be exact.

I was hospitalized and kept on IV fluids only.

No food or liquids by mouth.

No procedures, just something to stop my contractions.

When the baby was born the pancreatitis disappeared.

It came back exactly one year to the first attack.

It last 3-4 days and I haven't had one since.

That was over 5 and 1/2 years ago.

As surgeries go...that one was pretty easy.

Laporoscopy now.

I had a relatively uncomplicated recovery.

I was in such severe pain every night prior to gallbladder removal.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I don't need it....It didn't need me.

I have enough problems without worrying about my gallbladder rupturing.

While no surgery is without risks, it was done on an outpatient basis.

My surgery was scheduled at 1:00pm and I went home at 6:30 pm that evening.

(They wouldn't let me leave until I pee'd).

Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

BTW, it runs in families too.

My father and two sisters have all had their gallbladders removed.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there [Smile]

Yeah that's what happened to me too on the Gallbladder. Mine was so swollen the Doctor wanted to admit me that day and I told him I wasn't positive I wanted the operation. He said you don't really have a choice it's get it out or it bursts and then we have real problems. Oh well that was a long time ago now.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement