LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vit B 12 & Vit B 6

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vit B 12 & Vit B 6
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,
I have been reading more about the B Vit.
Dr B says the only Vit B 12 that is absorbed is [Eek!] by injection.

IS that true?
How about the other B's specically B 6

thanks

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an answer for you, I wanted to bump this to the top, I have the same questions....my daughter is deficient in B12, B6 and others, she did 3 mos. of B12 shots, but is now deficient again.

What is the best way to take B vitamins? Sublingual? Intramuscular shots? IV?

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just took/take the sublingual B-12s and all is fine now. Tastes great too. I also take a B-100 complex daily.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My very conservative MD said that oral is absorbed as well as shots. Personally I think it depends on how well you absorb pills which will depend on your digestive health.

You may want to take an active form of B12 rather than the cynacobolamin that is generally sold. You also need folic acid with it in my view.

Some active forms are:
dibencozide
methylcobolamin
hydroxocobalamin

I also take Metagenics Intrinsi B12/Folate because you need intrinsic factor in order to absorb b12 and some of us may not have enough intrinsic factor.

The metagenics intrinsi has an active form of folic acid in it so if you take it you must start out REALLY slow because IF you have any methylation cycle blocks, this can open them up and you will start to detox and end up being very sick.

I take perque B12 which is hyroxocobalamin but I only take 1/4 tab per day because it is powerful.

I am taking all of these forms of B12 except for the methylcobolamin which I can't take due to some methylation cycle issues. The rest are recommended by the doctor who did my methylation testing.

The active forms of B12 and folic acid can be very powerful so go slow. Also some people may have problems with ammonia and/or sulfur in which case they would need to deal with those problems or b12 can make one sicker.

Here is some interesting info on cyanocobalamin. I can't say that it is absolutely correct but I read most of it and it makes sense. It was researched and written by an MD
http://www.roylretreat.com/articles/b12.html

Some excerpts:
If an animal or individual is given cyanocobalamin the body removes the cyanide because it is not usable as a coenzyme and it is toxic. Then the cobalt of the former cyanocobalamin can combine with other substances that are not toxic and actually form Vitamin B12 coenzymes that are usable by the body. These normally existing Vitamin B12 coenzymes are labile and break down easily unless inside living tissue.

Potassium in the body can react with the cyanide found in cyanocobalamin - the ``Vitamin B 12'' - and form toxic potassium cyanide (KCN). Potassium cyanide is a poisonous compound used as a fumigant. This is one reason why the body jettisons the ``Vitamin B 12'' (i.e., cyanocobalamin) injections so rapidly. Within 24 hours most (about 90%) of the cyanocobalamin in supplements has been eliminated.

Cyanocobalamin is in every vitamin B12 supplement known because it is stable and less costly to manufacture. But it is not usable in the body. If the body has sufficient energy it may be able to offload the cyanide and benefit from the useful component. Mainly, what people experience after taking cyanocobalamin supplements is stimulation. The toxic effect of the cyanide triggers a rush of energy as the body works hard to excrete the poison, and this fools people into believing that the supplement has ``worked'' to heal them. Meanwhile, if their blood tests show an increase in B12, it mainly reflects the amount of the CYANOCOBALAMIN in the blood stream. The usable forms are carried into the cells and can't be discovered by testing the blood as is the current practice. Blood tests are often inaccurate and, as previously stated, in the case of cyanocobalamin supplementation and B12 injections, about 90% of it has been eliminated from the body in 24 hours.

There is more on the page for anyone intersted.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I am hearing you say that Vit B 12 CAN be absorbrd well, and the shot is not necessary.

Another question.

Do we need Vit D or Vit D 3?
What dose?
{I know the MP does not agree}

Terry, you are over my head.

Thanks all
peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG
You wrote:
So, I am hearing you say that Vit B 12 CAN be absorbrd well, and the shot is not necessary.

That is what my doctor (not LLMD) said but I personally think it depends on ones digestive health.

You wrote:
Do we need Vit D or Vit D 3?

I think many lyme patients need Vit D based on what I've read here about all those that test low in Vit D. Vitamin D's is a fat-soluble vitamin and therefore its absorption is adversely affected in those with malabsorption disorders such as Crohn's disease. Those with chronic liver disease, cystic fibrosis, Crohn's disease, diabetes, Whipple's disease and sprue are prone to vitamin D deficiency, also those who don't get out in the sun much.

The best way to find out if you need Vit D is to have your levels tested by a doctor.

You wrote:
What dose?

An overdose of vitamin D can be toxic with serious side effects. I would strongly suggest that you take it while under your doctor's guidance. If that's not possible, I would take low doses, like 400 IU if I took any at all.

You wrote:
Terry, you are over my head.

I'm sorry. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG,

Some ppl can absorb the B12 and some ppl can't. The ppl who can't have what is called Pernicious Anemia and must take shots.

For the rest of us oral B12 and Bcomplex is fine.

My B12 level was very low at one point and my rhuemy gave me the shots for quite some time. I was able to get my level up and now am taking maintenance oral dosage and will retest to see if my body is able to absorb the B12 orally.

My rheumy told me that some ppl just can't absorb the b12 through their stomach so they need the injections.

Hope this helps.
Elizabeth

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJG,

Have you had your vitamin B12 levels tested. I take the vitamin B complex pill and my B12 levels are higher than normal.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we found out my daughter had B12 deficiency her doctor put her on the shots, however, she is still deficient. She was also severely anemic and takes iron infusions (and procrit) and is very deficient is just about every other vitamin/mineral...

Is she not absorbing them? How can I get her levels up? Do other vitamins come in IV, or shots?

What type of MD deals with this?

Her LLMD is no knowledgeable in this area at ALL.

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement