LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Anyone Else Have This Symptom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Anyone Else Have This Symptom?
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed if I'm talking to someone now for any decent period of time, including doctors, and making prolonged eye-to-eye contact, I start to feel kind of woozy. It happens nearly every time. I'll feel shaky and I have to move my eyes intentionally.

I NEVER had this before my illness in Oct-07. I worked in a consulting job and had a lot of interaction with outside clients and internal staff. I am not an outgoing person, but certainly able to handle that stuff.

Am I insane? lol. Maybe it is panic disorder? Perhaps an inability to focus intensely in one spot due to a neuro issue?

Anyone else have this? Maybe it's time for Cymbalta!!

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Seek,
This happens to me and makes me anxious. I always figured it was the anxiety causing this symptom.

If you are crazy then so am I!

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Ocean. I truly feel I may have to try a benzo or anti-depressent just to prove to myself anxiety isn't my true issue. I've hit that fork in the road. Symptoms like the one I described just don't make sense to me. Anxiety would seem to be the only cause.

When speaking to my ID doc, my BP was 180/80. Keep in mind, I was ****ED based on him telling me I am cured and no longer need antibiotics! He did a manual reading. I just can't get the systolic number down EVEN on three meds. It is never that high though, usually 135-140. He said the rise in BP is anxiety-related due to release of hormones (eph and norefp).

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seekhelp,

You can do a test on those hormones and see if you're misfiring, or if you might have a (benign) tumor that is releasing those stress hormones. They checked me for that.

I get the wooziness, dizziness. But it's not 'social' so much....I thought that too, for a while. For me, I think it is just the exertion of dealing with people or just having to deal with things.

That might sound ridiculous, and I NEVER had anything like this before myself. I thought it's anxiety, and anxiety might play some part, but I often get very weak, shaky, dizzy, feel faint rather suddenly. Doctors appointments are when I get them most often now myself, but doctors appointments are the only real outside things I've been doing for the past few months.

In other words, for me, it feels like I've just lost all my stamina. It's almost like a serious hypoglycemic attack--but I am NOT hypoglycemic.

It's crazy. I was so athletic, and had so much stamina. And the truth is, if I suddenly feel so bad, shaky, out of it, almost like I could pass out--yes, that scares me, and I think creates a bad feedback loop.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

MY ID doc is checking those blood levels right now actually including 5-HTT (serotonin). It's so hard to differentiate weakness and the feeling of weakness. I notice my vision seems to be altered during weakness episodes, almost as if I'm unable to be steady. I never, ever fall, never have true vertigo, etc.

Something isn't right. It's almost like a tremor feeling in my head or eyes that starts this. I don't believe it's migraines, though last night I get a severe belt-tightening sensation across my entire forehead I found scary. It was right above the eyebrows.

It almost feels like the blood flow is being compressed. if it was, I'd pass out, right?

Gosh, I wish someone would figure out this nightmare!

Michael, have you ever tried anxiety or anti-depressant meds? Just curious if you did if they did anything?

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this same thing. I feel very weird in social situations, but could never figure out if it was anxiety or some kind of Lyme symptom. I take xanax for anxiety, but I don't think this is anxiety. I think it is some kind of neurological reaction, kind of like attention deficiet disorder caused by LD.

Also, I feel something similar to this in large stores, like I can't focus on anything in there, like my eyes are all over the place. I think it has something to do with too much information for our brains to process.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Yep, the same exact thing happens in large stores. [Smile] It may take 5 minutes or 10 minutes, but most of the time it eventually happens. I find my eyes wandering constantly like I'm trying to take in everything fast. It's like my mind can't slow down. I was a very focused person usually and had no problem comprehending huge amouns of information / situations better than most I worked with.

Driving is another time it happens.

it's so depressing as it completely wipes the fun out of life. I have a very, very hard time living with this symptom.

soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the exact same feeling that you described, where I have to consciously move my eyes and refocus every so often so I don't feel sick. I also will start to zone out after a while, but not for lack of attention, it just gets so hard to concentrate unless there is a big effort.

I'm still working and this makes my job so so difficult. Every time I have a long conversation with someone, I feel crazy because I can't make eye contact for long enough and I focus more on making sure my behavior still looks normal instead of being able to just have an easy conversation.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seekhelp,

Yes, I tried SSRI's a few months ago. I did not feel better, and believe I felt worse, mentally.

I do have a xanax prescription. I take it, I think it helps me if I'm freaking out, but it has never stopped what we're talking about here.

I get weak, shaky, disorientated-feeling. It's a terrible feeling. I thought it was panic attacks, but I really don't think that's it.

How you describe it is similar to how it feels for me.

It's almost like just moving around too much, having to deal with things....it's more than I can take. And it comes on fast.

You know, I've had food poisoning and some bad flus before in my life. And in a way, it's like if I were to push myself when I was sick like that....just feel like I'm going to collapse. Hands shake, feel very weak. Just feel physically overwhelmed.

Part of the reason I responded to this so quick is that I went to the doctor today, and it happened. I felt really bad. Also, just feel like this whole thing is just ridiculous.

Anyway, they could see I was feeling bad, and they put an EKG on me...it was fine. They're always fine. However, I felt like I was in hell.

I also want to emphasize--before this illness, whatever the heck it is--I NEVER had symptoms like this or any other thing I've written about on this board.

Seekhelp, I've been reading your posts the past few days, and I really think I can relate. I don't know WHAT to make of all of this, and am confused and bewildered myself.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get some of this too, but for me it feels involuntary, more like nystagmus, or migraine associated vertigo.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just telling my wife the exact same thing. I have trouble speaking to people - looking them in the eye and being patient. If i speak to someone i like it quick or i start to get shaky and breathing gets funny i will constantly fidget.

Same trouble in large stores or repetative annoying noises.

Get overloaded very easily. Its a problem for me also b/c i'm in sales.

Stressful or emotional situations take a long time for me to recover from.

Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not necessarily be Lyme related...? Other non-Lyme infected people may feel this way, too.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

What do you think it is then?

quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
It may not necessarily be Lyme related...? Other non-Lyme infected people may feel this way, too.

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is I did not have this before Lyme. So I have to conclude that it is most likely Lyme related, and the fact that so many Lymies complain of the same thing.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This is probably a rhetorical question, I'm sure, but is everyone here getting the treatment they need - for the infections - that is?

When infections are treated, so many symptoms will be relieved.

Are doctors explaining all this? Be sure to ask as they may not realize some of the symptoms are so frightening. I am saddened by so many who are left in the dark with so many symptoms.

The Singleton book ("The Lyme Disease Solution") explains much about the endocrine system - and low blood pressure stuff, too. But low pressure can be caused by the adrenals and inner ear dysfunction can cause very sudden drops in blood pressure and trigger fainting. It's so complex and intertwined.

" . . .almost like a serious hypoglycemic attack--but I am NOT hypoglycemic. . . ." Well, the inner ear and adrenal stuff can cause a sudden drop in blood glucose, too.

I've learned some of this from paramedics who have taught me many things after seizures (from sounds; exhaustion - all goes with lyme for many patients).

Sadly, many patients seem programmed to first wonder: "Am I insane? . . . Maybe it is panic disorder?"

No. Not at all. It's lyme. (and panic attacks are frequently caused by lyme - treatment can resolve those -

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Fallon, Nields, panic, lyme - 2 abstracts

------------

I used to speak in front of large gatherings and always had great eye contact. I loved it and had great rapport with my audiences. I never got nervous (as long as I was prepared).

That all changed overnight and continues to be a problem from inner ear effects from lyme + co. (Yeast can also affect inner ear.)

I've had this in varying degrees - sometimes I'd pass out or have a seizure if someone even blinked or a light went on or off. Really.

The problem with eye contact is about concentration and balance. It is VERY common with lyme patients. Those with inner ear symptoms are even more bothered by it. Lyme frequently affect the auditory/balance system called the vestibular system.

It can create a "fight or flight" response from the adrenal/endocrine system that brings the panic stress chemical flood in our bodies. That is why endocrine support is vital in addition to treating the infections.

Nystagmus (spasms of the eyes) is connected. Trouble focusing or tracking objects with the eyes is a common problem with inner ear stress. MAGNESIUM can help that tremendously.

The inner ear is also the first system to detect poisons. As lyme is very toxic and our livers are stressed, the inner ear often get that hit. Liver support can help the ears. Really.

Some of this - not even being able to see someone BLINK - is described in some of the articles at ILADS - www.ilads.org - especially in Sherr's articles, I think. Still, not everything is lyme related. An excellent ENT or neurotologist is best consulted.

However, as ear doctors frequently use steroids, it is vital that the doctor be lyme literate as steroids are contraindicated with lyme - except for emergency use and then with certain abx prior, if possible (during and after, too, as steroids can stay in the body for up to six months.)

Vestibular training can help tremendously - in addition to continued treatment for lyme/TBD and adrenal dysfunction. Brain exercises, too, are involved with vestibular training to reeducate the brain/balance signals.

For many, after good treatment, this gets better. In the meantime, in addition to lyme treatment, GINGER capsules and magnesium and B-6 are helpful to detox and calm the balance/nausea/vagus nerve irritation.

www.vestibular.org

Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA)

====

www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

Possible Symptoms of Vestibular Disorders

Vertigo and dizziness

. Spinning or whirling sensation; an illusion of movement of self or the world (vertigo)

. Lightheaded, floating, or rocking sensation (dizziness)

. Sensation of being heavily weighted or pulled in one direction

Balance and spatial orientation

. Imbalance, stumbling, difficulty walking straight or turning a corner

. Clumsiness or difficulty with coordination

. Difficulty maintaining straight posture; tendency to look downward to confirm the location of the ground

. Head may be held in a tilted position

. Tendency to touch or hold onto something when standing, or to touch or hold the head while seated

. Sensitivity to changes in walking surfaces or footwear

. Muscle and joint pain (due to difficulty balancing)

Vision

. Trouble focusing or tracking objects with the eyes; objects or words on a page seem to jump, bounce, float, or blur or may appear doubled

. Discomfort from busy visual environments such as traffic, crowds, stores, and patterns.

. Sensitivity to light, glare, and moving or flickering lights; fluorescent lights may be especially troublesome

. Tendency to focus on nearby objects; increased discomfort when focusing at a distance

. Increased night blindness; difficulty walking in the dark

. Poor depth perception

Cognitive and psychological

. Difficulty concentrating and paying attention; easily distracted

. Forgetfulness and short-term memory lapses

. Confusion, disorientation, difficulty comprehending directions or instructions

. Difficulty following speakers in conversations, meetings, etc., especially when there is background noise or movement

. Mental and/or physical fatigue out of proportion to activity

. Loss of self-reliance, self-confidence, self-esteem

. Anxiety, panic

. Depression

Hearing

. Hearing loss; distorted or fluctuating hearing

. Tinnitus (ringing, roaring, buzzing, whooshing, or other noises in the ear)

. Sensitivity to loud noises or environments (hyperacusis)

. Sudden loud sounds may increase symptoms of vertigo, dizziness, or imbalance.

Other

. Nausea or vomiting

. "Hangover" or "seasick" feeling in the head

. Motion sickness

. Ear pain

. Sensation of fullness in the ears

. Headaches

. Slurred speech

* Sensitivity to pressure or temperature changes and wind currents

========

- There is a separate page for nystagmus at VEDA but many of those symptoms are described above.

www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/treatment.php

Vestibular Treatments

(However, note that if caused by lyme or any infection, the infection must be treated or the problem will not resolve.)

========

www.ilads.org

ILADS

=========

www2.lymenet.org/domino/abstract.nsf/

Medical abstracts about lyme and TBD

=========

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measure for many symptoms:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

[ 04. December 2008, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

For what has helped others:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Michael,

You said something about food poisoning. Some recent research is finding that, like lyme, it can become chronic - or stealth like and come back. You might be sure your LLMD knows about this so that, if needed, attention can be given to clear up anything else that might be involved.

Articles and links are at this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=075027

Topic: FOOD POISONING - links for reference

-

renny
Member # 11224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe someone posted these symptoms. I have had the same for the last couple of years. Everytime I go into a large store it feels like sensory overload and I get really freaky feeling. I don't think it is anxiety because I take Ativan and don't notice that it helps. Also the shaky, dizzy, weak feeling, etc. I think from all the responses, this is a Lyme thing and not just anxiety. And now my right ear feels like it has water in it all the time.
Posts: 33 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HaHa, not funny, but this is always when I would know that I was about to relapse with my "unknown" disease.

And now that I know what I suffer from, I still get it. I had it today when I went for a massage. The guy was talking and wouldn't stop, I got hot, lightheaded, and felt nauseous. I feel like a freak when I have to avoid eye contact.

I think that the person sees me looking up at the ceiling or off to the right and thinks: " What is up with this freak".

I also cannot tolerate drawn out conversations. It makes me feel the same way, like I am about to crack up and I need to escape.

Stores, same thing, driving, same thing, my stomach feels like a drop from a roller-coaster.

Not anxiety for me. Too much stimulation and unable to process it, or too sensitive to it....

That's my take.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I have to agree with you. I think it's Lyme causing these terrible things. What Keebler said is probably dead on. When I got my mysterious illness in 1997, the ears were the first thing impacted. Oh and the right ear fullness feeling of water, YEP exactly what I deal with all the time. WAY WAY too much of a coincidence to believe we all have anxiety. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by feelfit:
HaHa, not funny, but this is always when I would know that I was about to relapse with my "unknown" disease.

And now that I know what I suffer from, I still get it. I had it today when I went for a massage. The guy was talking and wouldn't stop, I got hot, lightheaded, and felt nauseous. I feel like a freak when I have to avoid eye contact.

I think that the person sees me looking up at the ceiling or off to the right and thinks: " What is up with this freak".

I also cannot tolerate drawn out conversations. It makes me feel the same way, like I am about to crack up and I need to escape.

Stores, same thing, driving, same thing, my stomach feels like a drop from a roller-coaster.

Not anxiety for me. Too much stimulation and unable to process it, or too sensitive to it....

That's my take.

Feelfit

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Tried to show my wife a print out of this thread because this issue has bothered me SO SO much lately and it was sort of comforting to know I'm not alone, but she didn't read it. She doesn't buy into it not being "mental" in nature for everyone here, including me. She thinks everyone blames Lyme for everything. She doesn't know what a vestibular disorder even is though.

I told her I wasn't like that before being sick, but it didn't ring a bell....funny how you forget old times once someone is sick, huh? I never was outgoing as I said, but definitely didn't get lightheaded and unsteady EVERY SINGLE time I speak to someone for any prolonged time or focus on specific things.

Well, if this keeps on, I'll surely go mental. It's impossible to function normally or work like that. Human corrspondence is critical to anything and you may as well shrivel up and live in a cave otherwise. Oh yeah, I'm sure disbility companies buy into that one too. [Smile]

Bottom line: LYME SUCKS! [Frown] I think I'll have to pop some pysch drugs regardless soon as she considers blaming Lyme to be doing nothing. I guess treating with two Abx, Malarone, endless supplements, educating myself like crazy in a short amount of time, reading every book possible to learn more about illness, etc. isn't much, right? [Smile]

renny
Member # 11224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to drag this discussion out any longer but I also cannot have an extended conversation with people. I also feel like I am going to explode and many times I cannot sit still for anything. I just have to get up and get out of there! Along with the rest of the symptoms we have been talking about on this thread, it makes it impossible to go to a movie or even watch one on TV at times.
I've also noticed that large screen TV's at our friends, especially if they are digital freak me out also.
Yes, it is "good" to know that so many us have these symptoms. I thought I was the only one.

Posts: 33 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Yep, ventured out to Wal-Mart to TRY to do some shopping for my wife since I had a bit of energy compared to normal. It was like a war with myself once there. Neck got tighter, shaky, lights everywhere. I feel like such a freak.

I laser focused on getting the items I needed, which were a lot. In the old days, I'd look around for an hour and enjoy myself. How sad. It was actually a MAJOR accomplishment to do what I did. After finishing, I felt like I did a marathon. Weird, huh?

How on earth can I work in a business atmosphere anymore with tons of fluorescent lights above my desk, large open space, etc? This is what scares me so much. Something MUST be done. I can't live every day like this. These are mundane tasks I surely shoukdn't be proud I was able to do. [Frown]

dlf82368
Member # 18370

Icon 9 posted      Profile for dlf82368     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sooo there almost afraid to leave the house. A simple trip to the store can be very scary. It's good to know that I'm not alone. Does it get any better?
Posts: 8 | From jefferson county | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[dizzy] [dizzy] [dizzy] [Eek!] [Eek!]

hope so!

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
babesia and bart are known to raise blood pressure...I know I had it...b/p 120 over 80..used to be like seekhelps but treatment prevailed..
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
babesia and bart are known to raise blood pressure...I know I had it...b/p 120 over 80..used to be like seekhelps but treatment prevailed..
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

seekhelp:

about work environment - fluorescent lights, etc.

If you go to your human resources director and inform him/her that you have a disability and you need accommodation, by law (if reasonable) they are required to work with you to figure out how to make it possible for you to do your job.

The light over your desk can be turned off and you - or maybe, also, your immediate work-neighbors would get desk lamps. (Caution here not to get those that buzz.)

You can have a couch put somewhere for rest periods. The time would not be paid time, but you can structure your day for several naps.

Whatever you need to make it possible I encourage you to think what might work. Sometimes, working from home - or hiring an assistant helps. That can cut into your salary but maybe if you go to 3/4 time and hire someone for 1/4 of the load ---

or get an intern to help (although you would have train) . . .

moving your desk . . . getting a massage at a break . . . a fridge for your healthy lunches . . .

is it possible? could it work? is it work a try?

For such things, though, you must inform your work. You don't have to say WHAT it is other than say "an illness that affects your endocrine and nervous system and requires frequent rests and shielding from certain stimuli."

Oh, a polarized screen for your computer should help. Different "ringers" on the phones (and they can be silenced and made to flash instead).

I'd advise being on the list for pre-notification for any fire drills so that you can hide out or leave the building. Same, too, for any new carpeting or painting that will be planned. And, then, input with low or no VOC (paint fumes).

You may have a doctor's letter to help. Once you declare a disability and that you would like to discuss accommodation, they cannot fire you as long as you are able to get the work finished as needed and on time.

-

LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only do I get this with a long conversation face to face but even on the phone. I get all anxious and feel dizzy.

I also get this when changing any environment or situation. I dont know if I'm saying this right, but like, if have to go in a store, or someone comes to my house, or there's any situation out of the normal at work. Even just going to work. It seems like my body needs to adjust to every change that there is.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lola333ny
Member # 15692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lola333ny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler about work situations. I have been housebound due to my extreme sensitivity to fluorescent lighting in offices and stores. The lower the ceiling and the worse the light quality, the more I feel as if I will have a seizure, it's beyond light sensitivity in the eyes and affects the whole system like being radiated.

Because many people with lyme and environmental toxins, etc. have sensitivity to light and electromagnetic radiation as a symptom of their illness, I thought we should sigh this petition against banning incandescent bulbs in favor of fluorescents (which are also a hazard to dispose of due to the mercury).

I found this petition along with links to some articles on the irlen.com website when I was researching lenses to try and decrease the problem so I can actually enter doctor's offices! :

http://irlen.com/index.php?s=news

I guess full-spectrum bulbs are better but are still too bright for some with photophobia/sensitivity so incandescents ARE still needed.

Another very helpful and interesting site:

http://www.emfblues.com/FluorescentLights.html

--L

Posts: 7 | From RI | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement