LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron and personality changes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron and personality changes
rami
Member # 18131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a bit of a mess at the moment as Lev, my 2 year old, seems to be so much worse since we started the Mepron (5 days ago, 1/4 tsp two times a day) -- clingy, more fits, thrashing his head about, more aggressive (even hitting me, which he has never done), more CHALLENGING in every way. Is this the Mepron? I am hoping so as it is so scary to think that this is the temperament I am going to have to deal with for years to come. that thought terrifies me. On the other hand, he has barely complained about muscle aches and pains since he started Mepron and was complaining daily before we started. The personality changes scares me the most. Any reassurance would be so appreciated. (As a reminder, they both have Lyme and Babesia and were treated for Lyme within 3-5 months of being infected and babesia within 4-6 months of being infected).
Thanks,
Beth

Posts: 22 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are just THOUGHTS of mine as I'm no medical professional:

Could be some sort of lyme rage/ herx-related from treating Babesia.

It seems the Babesia has helped some since he stopped complaining of the aches and pains since starting Mepron.

Maybe the Bartonella (if he has it - has he been tested or does his doc suspect he have it?) is coming out since treating Babesia and getting that load down. Bartonella is one of the co-infections that can cause a lot of rage/anxiety/personality disorders, etc.

I would say his fits of anger/rage will not be permanent as they just NOW started happening and he was never like this before.

Goodluck.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi rami,

I can relate as my 4 year old son did the same thing. (I have twin 4 year old boys who both are taking Mepron and other drugs for Lyme, babesia and bartonella).

You can probably search and find my post asking about Mepron and behavior changes. I posted within the last month!

My son who tested positive for babesia never had any personality changes, but my other son (who did not test positive for it) did become more aggressive and hit me and kicked the babysitter during that first week on it.

He has been on it for a month now and has not been as violent as during that first week. He is still very difficult and was before taking the Mepron. Another thing I noticed is that he had serious night sweats during that first week on Mepron. They are not nearly as often now. I guess that's a sign that he does indeed have babs and it is getting better.

I really worry about the behavior too, but I am convinced that it is part of this terrible disease.

Our LLMD also told us that Mepron works on the cyst form of lyme too so I guess there could be some herxing from that.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know how heartbreaking it is to go through this with your children.

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you search through the archives, you'll find a lot about this topic, especially about adults who suddenly have the "terrible twos" after starting Mepron! Mepron can definitely cause major personality changes.
Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebAz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add to this post regarding not only personality changes and mood changes but.. watch for these items along with anxiety and depression...

Now.. what my doctor told me is that Mepron can cause these things but it takes about a month or two ( in adults ).

This may not be the issue your daughter is having but it is good to know. he called them the mepron blues.
She may not be able to tell you her true feelings.. That is hard.

But what he told me to do if I felt this way at all.. was to stop the meds for about 3 to7 days.. and it will clear up and you can restart.
I had to do that 3 times in my 6 months of on it..

It worked.. amazingly well and just like he said.> IT was gone.

Again it may or may not be related but.. if you stop the med for a few days it would be a good test..

But since she is acting this way so quickly it may just come right back.. But it sure would be a good test to see what is going on or if it clears up the mood....

Just an idea.. and something to think about as you move forward too as you might see more trouble or problems and you can remember this advice which is straight from my doctor.

Take care and good luck.
Deb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started mepron a few weeks ago.

I found that the first 2 weeks were very tough. Definitely some personality and emotional issues. Now, things are getting much easier.

It is a really good sign that he has reduced his complaining about pain. That is an indication that the babesia tx might be effective.

See if you can hang in there with him. The symptoms may be due to the babesia dying off. If you and he can stick with the treatment for a longer period of time, the personality changes may disappear and only a healthy child remain!

Babesia treatment can be very difficult. I am not a doctor, and this is just my experience. See if you can speak with your doctor about this.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron can affect one psychologically/mentally and not everyone should or can be on Mepron. I had mild visual hallucinations on it; an aunt, who is no blood relation, totally freaked out on it & had to be hospitalized until it was out of her system.

So rather than reassure you, I encourage you to call your doc ASAP. A small child is not capable of telling you what is happening.

I still remember when Dr. H. shook his head and told me he was sorry, but I could not take Mepron any longer and hence he was not sure how much he could help me. However, he did say that both Doxy & Tindamax cross into the brain and can help with Babesia, and that was the best he could do for me. And I have done very well on that combination.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same effect- clingy, teary, psychological changes- on Biaxin alone, and I was symptom-free at the time (I was taking Biaxin for stomach ulcer at doses similar to what's in the Mepron/Biaxin or Mepron/zith combo). Visual hallucinations are also known side effect for some people.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ericaf
Member # 10929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I experienced mood and personality changes on the first 2 months of Mepron. A few hours after my dose I transformed from Dr.Jakil to Mr.Hyde!
I was moody, agressive, easily frustrated, didn't answer the phone because I was afraid of what I could say to people.
It wained off slowly after a while and I went back to being my self again, well my Lyme-self.

Posts: 81 | From Italy | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement