LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Treating jaw joint pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Treating jaw joint pain
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had TMJ in the past and had a splint made, which alleviated the pain for many years.

Recently, the discomfort started again. This time, my chiropractor has been handling it with the use of a tool called the Arthrostim.

It looks like a small hand gun, with a tip that he can put attachments on. The arthrostim machine, when turned on, delivers twelve pulses a second. It can deliver very light taps or very strong ones. I get the very light ones.

He says he uses the KST technique on my jaw, which stands for Koren Specific Technique. He has me move my jaw in various directions, like open/shut, side to side, forward/backward.

Depending on where the joint is stuck in movement, he applies the arthrostim to the TMJ joint. And wouldn't you know it, every time he applies the machine, the pain goes away just about immediately and I can move the joint again.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin,

Do you have mercury amalgam fillings in your mouth?

When I first became sick, I had horrible jaw joint involvement. I would wake each morning with my jaw out of line and had trouble opening it very far.

Eventually I became aware of mercury toxicity and had the last 3 amalgams removed. My jaws were so bad I could barely open my mouth for the dentist to remove the fillings.

I used a biological dentist and it cost me $433. I didn't do it to resolve my TMJ but to stop a source of mercury poisoning. My to my joy and amazement, 2 weeks after replacing these fillings, my jaw pain went away and has never returned. That was June, 2006.

Just a suggestion you may want to consider.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. I do have mercury amalgam fillings.

Did you experience any other results from the amalgam removal?

Anyone else have their amalgams removed and feel better afterwards in their jaw area?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had several large amalgam fillings replaced, plus more amalgam that had been left under crowns. (I had to have the crowns replaced.)

I immediately had improvement with balance and coordination. It became easier to walk on unlevel surfaces or on stairs. It is also easier to stay on track while speaking. These things improved immediately.

Gradually, discomfort or pain has decreased in my face, jaw, and lower abdomen. If I try to detox very fast, it feels a lot like a herx.

I still have metal in my mouth. One of the crowns replaced had a -25 (negative) electrical charge. The metal creates a galvanic effect which is like having a battery in your mouth. Having the metal amalgams removed probably reduced this electrical effect and resulted in the immediate improvement.

I plan to have 6 root canals removed and also have the cavitations done.

I really like the dental surgeon in Montreal, Canada. With the Canadian dollar dropping in value, it is more economical for me to go up there. They work with me to get a lot done on a single trip.

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin,

I had a healthy dental revision done a few years ago. I had Lyme and Co's at the time and did not realize it and had not been diagnosed yet. I did not have TMJ. Although I did (and still do) have occasional jaw pain from Lyme.

I had 17 mercury amalgam fillings removed and a root-canaled tooth extracted. The root canaled tooth had just never been right since having the root canal done decades earlier.

The reason I decided to remove my amalgams though, was because a few years ago, I came down with "mono." The mono never left and I was told that I had chronic epstein barr virus.

Some of the reading that I did mentioned that some people were able to rid themselves of chronic EBV by removing amalgams. I had also gotten to the point where I felt as though I was constantly tasting metal in my mouth. So I was willing to give this a try to see if it made a difference for the better.

I went to a biological/holistic dentist who specialized in safe amalgam removal. He also had me take some things prior, during and after removal to help protect my body from the inevitable mercury exposure during the procedure. These were recommendations such as garlic, chlorella, high doses of vitamin C, intestinal binders (like charcoal or sodium alginate). He also gave me I.V. Vitamin C after the procedures to help eliminate and/or bind the mercury toxins.

I really wasn't sure whether I was wasting my time and money by doing this. All I knew was that I wanted a different material than mercury amalgam in my mouth.

Two months after amalgam removal, repeated lab testing showed that my EBV was in total remission and it has remained so to this day. I did experience other overall symptom relief (better vision, hearing, more energy) but those did not last because my Lyme and other Co's needed to be diagnosed, addressed and treated. One symptom that has remained gone since removal is a terrible heaviness that I had in my teeth and jaw and that horrible metal-mouth taste.

So, I'm really glad that I had this done. Some could argue that the amalgam removal and complete remission of my EBV was coincidental. Also, I fully recognize the high probability that the EBV/mono reared it's ugly head when the Lyme/Co's started to get out of control. I suppose there is no way of knowing. But the coincidence was striking to me. Despite having Lyme/Co's -- my previously chronically high EBV was gone.

I can't say that it "cured my undiagnosed Lyme" or completely eliminated the symptoms I've got from Lyme.

A couple of years later I was finally diagnosed with Lyme and then began Lyme treatment.

I suppose I'd be a candidate for heavy metal detox. Some of the medical doctors that I've seen have mentioned that I might benefit from doing this at some point in my treatment.

At the moment, it's something I'm not ready to try beyond taking supplements and the occasional I.V. vitamin cocktails that I get. I'm really not sure whether heavy metal detox in a serious way (like I.V. chelation) could safely be done while I'm on antibiotic therapy for Lyme.

Hope this helps.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement