LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should I be feeling this much better so soon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be feeling this much better so soon?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

This is NOT a complaint, just a curiosity.

I started abx (minocycline) this Mon, and have been on Samento for about 2.5 weeks.

I haven't felt this good since I was on prednisone (before I thought I had Lyme) back in August.

My W. blot is still pending, but my LLMD already gave me a clinical dx.

Anyway, each day, I've just gotten better and better. I'm working full days no problem, exercising, my thinking is getting more clear...

I don't mean to sound unhappy to be feeling so much better, I'm just confused and full of self doubt.

I started to feel sick in summer '07. Things had progressed to where all parts of my life were affected. My rapid improvement has me wondering if I ever really was that sick, or if I just inflated my symptoms in my mind?

Could this be a sign that I have something less serious?

Any comments or ideas are appreciated. I hope others who are in discomfort find relief, too, and hope this post doesn't cause any offense.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just mentioned in another post a local woman said she has cured 90%+ of her Lyme symptoms (had it since Feb-07) with 25 days of Minocycline so sure it seems plausible. [Smile]

Come to think of it maybe I better get myself on this miracle Abx!! Why not?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so funny, because I am currently on Minocycline and Rifampin.

I started the Minocycline first, and felt great! I was waking up early on my own, it was like a miracle.

Then, when I started to add the Rifampin in, I became the sick version of myself again. I decided to stick it out a little longer on both drugs together, but I am tempted to just drop the Rifampin to see what happens.

My LLMD said he wasn't opposed to me just being on Minocycline.

It is interesting you had this same reaction to it, Wonko.....and that it wasn't just me! VERY interesting....

Who knows, but congrats and good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told my PCP I was on Biaxin/Ceftin and she said she's never Rxed those for Lyme. She uses Doxy or Mino. I wonder if I would've done better staying on Doxy. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well based on this thread, why would you pick Doxy over Mino? [Wink]

I have also done extensive rounds of Doxy, and didn't feel better from it at all. That is why I was so surprised when on my second or third day of Mino I started feeling good.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, I feel almost in disbelief. I hope I continue to feel better.

I can still tell somethings are off, but the relief is so huge, I'm kinda in awe.

seek, I'm sure everyone responds differently to different meds. We all probably have our own unique mix of bugs and natural defenses. I hope your LLMD works with you to get you on the best plan.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I felt GREAT on abx (doxy) for about three weeks, before I . . . . FELL OFF A CLIFF! Which only lasted for about four bedridden days, & then - better yet again! At about 7 weeks another backslide - less severe - and since that time (almost two years ago) it's been mostly slowly but surely better, using oral doxy or mino. I've had a few more minor backslides, interestingly, mostly in the fall.

I think you're on the right track.

Best -

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mino is great. There is also a natural rhythm to Lyme, that sort of waxes and wanes, and that intensifies with treatment, I think.

So, if you start feeling worse again, don't despair.

On the other hand, if you continue to feel more well, all the better!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Yes, I have always noted some oscillation in my symptoms. The swings have gotten bigger, and I'm on an upwards one now, but I know it could be precarious.

I'm optimistic, but realistic too.

I know it sounds weird, but the huge sudden improvement had me really thinking I must have been nuts, I must have never been sick. I think I was physically in such bad shape that got all my attention, so my emotions are out of shape, if that makes any sense. [spinning smile]

I feel better about things now, thanks for the replies.

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange that you should mention Mino. My LLMD mentioned putting me on that antibiotic next. Said it worked well for some of his patients. I sure hope it will do for me what it is doing for you.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline crosses the blood brain barrier and exhibits an anti-inflammatory effect.

Verification that inflammation plays a very big part in causing symptoms.

Minocycline was one of the first abx that my LLMD used on me and it made me VERY sick. Increased my liver enzymes and caused hyper-pigmentation. Very powerful abx.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycyline is a neuro anti inflammatory.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonko,

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who only has Lyme and no coinfections? Just a thought.

Glad you are improving.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

I think my LLMD did pick it specifically because of the properties above listed: it crosses blood/brain and is anti-inflammatory.

I have lots of neuro symptoms and brain lesions on MRI, and my CRP and SED rate are both high. I'm still waiting for my blood results for W. blot and co's.

Like I said, I haven't felt this good since on steroids, which are also strong anti-inflammatories (though NOT appropriate for Lyme, as I later learned)!

Today I'm not quite as mighty as yesterday, more stuttering and struggling for words and more fatigued, but I'm still above my usual baseline!

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well unlike steroids it won't suppress your immune system and will kill bacteria (though could cause yeast issues longterm?) Also samento helps with toxins.

Good for you!

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonko,

Congratulations and glad to hear it.

I too was very fortunate to start treatment in May of 08 (contracted lyme last fall) and continued to get better from the start of treatment, with a few small set backs.

I often questioned it because so many have horrible herxes and I didnt. (I learned quickly how lucky I was/am)

Its really wonderful to hear positive results. Heres a big applaud for you!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're feeling well so fast. Since Minocycline is one of the abx. that has a significant anti-inflammatory effect as well, it is probably due to those effects, I'd imagine. Whatever it is, enjoy the benefits!
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement