LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » extremely dry cracking lips

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: extremely dry cracking lips
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone else have this? could it be from medicine? i really havent spent much time outside at all .. also, it seems to have really picked up since starting a whole array of new medicine.. im on omnicef, rifampin, mepron, zithromax, and diflucan
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulinNY
Member # 15425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just started to get more extreme cracking of the lips (bleeding) too. They're always chapped - even in the summer, and I drink lots of water. I assume the dryness of winter makes it worse in my part of the world.

--------------------
Lyme diag. 2005, confirmed with LLMD Dec. 2007, 2 years of Marshall Protocol, Bicillin,mal.Dr.Z herbs, EBV, HHV-6,Babs,Bart?(3 kids positive for Lyme)

Posts: 10 | From NY | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am making mine bleed as we speak. But it seems like I have always had chappy lips. Don't know why. But Nivea helps as long as I can stop biting them off!

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what you are taking, but I got this from Plaquenil.

Triple ointment helps.

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lack of Vitamin B6 causes cracked lips.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blistex is really good too. Apply frequently.

Keep lips moisurized as much as possible to protect. Use an SPF too!

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have this as well.

If I don't wear chapstick while I sleep at night, I'll wake up with horribly chapped lips.

So I've gotten into the habit to always wear chapstick while I sleep. Sometimes that doesn't always help and I'll still have chapped lips during the day though.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to chceck the ingredients on any lip products you use for chapped lips. Many contain alcohol, which can be drying on it's own, setting into motion a perpetual cycle.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you know many people have a "chapstick addiction"? I was addicted for about 20 years. Once you start using it, you must carry it around with you 24/7, 12 mos. a year. I believe it is the alcohol in the chapstick. Alcohol evaporates and is the drying agent that tells your lips they need more chapstick. Better to use plain ole vaseline. Once or twice a day and you're good to go.

Do a search for "chapstick addiction" and you will find some interesting stuff.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: chapstick addiction

Totally true. I started using Medicated Blistex one winter, and I had to keep using it or else I was soooo miserable. Then the corners of my mouth started to crack and bleed...turns out the Medicated Blistex was the source of the new problem.

I started using just plain ol' oil (like canola oil or some such thing), and the problem disappeared! Darn Blistex!

Now I stick with a shea butter-based lip balm, or just go straight to my jar of shea butter. I've heard that vegetable-based oils absorb better than mineral oils (baby oil, vaseline) or animal fat (lanolin), but I'm not sure how true that is. I just know that I like the lip balm I've found. (It's made by a local Seattle company.)

Also, since going on abx, I've had to stop wearing lipstick because it was just too drying. Now if I want a touch of color, I use a vegetable-oil based lip gloss (I think it has shea butter and coconut oil).

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use plain Vaseline though.....I was addicted to THAT on my lips, and I have a family member who is addicted to using it on his hands, and now they crack.

I started using Burt's Beeswax Carrot Day Creme (it is supposed to be a face lotion) on my lips and lip area every night, and now I'm not addicted to the Vaseline anymore.

I think the addictions can happen to anything, because I was also addicted to the plain Burt's Bees chapstick at one point too. Not sure what is in that.

But for some reason this face lotion stuff seemed to get rid of my Vaseline addiction without creating a new addiction...for now.

I will never give my kids chapstick as a gift someday, because my father used to always buy me special chapsticks as a kid and i think that's how I got addicted.......haha.

But I think for us too maybe it stems from chronic dehydration? I try to get tons of electrolytes in (powdered ones that I mix in water). Or I use sea salt as an electrolyte.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have very painful cuts or slits in the middle of my lower lips for months, have tried everything, but they are not healing and are so so painful, they just start bleeding at any time, i wish i knew what would heal them! i know its not dry skin
Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink LOTS of water!!!

I use Blistex too. It's really good. and then there's Carmex .. a little more gooey...but works great!

PS... Blistex is WAY better than Chapstick, IMO.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon water causes my lips to crack. Lots of plain water helps.

I use shea butter on them. Also, exfoliate with toothbrush or washcloth.

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 14 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick for serious cracked lips. It's "non-addictive" and works well for many people who can't seem to find the right product. It's also organic. (PS. Don't [lick] in cold weather!) Dr. Hauschka Lip Care Stick

[ 16. December 2008, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: lymeric ]

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, addictions cause withdrawal.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
b-6 and b-12 are the main reasons for severe cracked lips especially at corners of mouth.
sublingual works best.
may also want to try acyclovir cream, RX.
may be viral in nature if on long term abx.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement