LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Things You Can't See

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Things You Can't See
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started thinking about this last night. What are some of the diseases/conditions you cannot see? Just for arguments sake when people say things like, 'you don't LOOK sick.'

I was also thinking that the list might be shorter for things that you CAN see.

So feel free to list things you can and cannot see. Be sure to separate them. I know there are A TON of diseases and conditions out there.

Thanks!

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than things like amputations and skin diseases or infections, what else can you really see?

Things that make you look sick:
Head cold, stuffed up nose
Bad hangover

You can look healthy with:
Cancer of various types
High blood pressure
Type 1 diabetes
Vascular disease until the MI happens
Severe depression right up to the day you commit suicide

I agree with you - there is not much you really CAN see, and many times the conditions that you can see have a better prognosis than the ones you can not. Poison ivy can make you look worse than some chemotherapy treatments, but I sure know which one I would rather have.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your response. So why do us Lyme sufferers always hear, 'you don't look sick.'

--------------------

Lyme Friends

My Lyme Story Videos

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is one of the worst parts of this disease. You might feel like you are dying, can barely walk and just want to crawl back under the covers, but you look fine!!! It's not fair. Sometimes we just want someone to acknowledge our misery, when it feels like they are minimizing it.

But I think it's also a way for people to be nice. You know, even if you don't feel good, they think you'd like to know that you still look okay!

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

when people say things like, 'you don't LOOK sick.' they don't WANT the truth.

Drop 'em.

Find good friends who can handle the truth.

It sounds harsh but, I have never seen one person with that attitude to change their minds just because I offered an explanation.

I am happier without them in my life. If they want to step up to the plate, great. But I don't have to bend over backward to prove my worth - even if existing in a state of compromised health. I don't need anyone's approval or even blessing (which is often condescending).

This is what it is. I do the best I can. That has to be enough as the basis for any of my personal relationships. Period.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a first today...
A good friend/co-worker stopped and asked, "How are you REALLY feeling?"

"Headaches are back..." was my answer. I usually just say "OK"

"I thought so. I could tell- by looking at your face."

She gave me a big hug and lifted my spirits a bit.

Good friends are priceless. [group hug]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had chroinc lyme 39 years this christmas!

went to a retirement party today and heard that galore, but you look so good...

my comments back, "but i'm 24/7 a CONSTRUCTION ZONE!" they laugh because it is also a transportation term used in ROAD repairs!

barby, sorry, but i see no reasons for listing all the INVISIBLE diseases; we know they exist and we have the majority of them. [Smile]

looks like you joined during 3 wks. my pc was down, check out my newbie links package below with table of contents! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it over and over from my family at Thanksgiving...it made me feel like they were saying "but you aren't REALLY sick."

I don't think they meant that, but it's like they just can't put it together.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So why do us Lyme sufferers always hear, 'you don't look sick.'

Because you don't look sick [Smile] Most people that have not personally experienced chronic illness (themselves or somebody close) just have a limited view of the world - they look sick when they are, and look healthy otherwise.

What is unsaid is more important - and you do not always know if the unsaid part is 'you are faking it' or 'that must be a terrible thing to have happen to you'.

Maybe the best response is 'Thanks, you don't look ignorant either.'

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That is great. I wish I had the guts to say that to someone. Maybe one day.

--------------------

Lyme Friends

My Lyme Story Videos

Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone who knows I have lyme wishes to have drugs like mine so her skin would look as good as mine apparently does.....
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Barby and all,

I'm sorry as I know sometimes this is one of the most frustrating things we have to, or have dealt with!!!

Why do we have to convince ANYONE that we are sick?????!!!!! [rant] I know everyone already knows this, but this is why most have gone for so long w/o being dx, or told the all famous, "It's all in your head!!"

I can't speak for everyone, but a lot WORK VERY HARD TO NOT LOOK SICK!!!! I know I did!!! For years and years I tried to 'hide' how I felt from friends and family.

When I just heard it too many times, "You don't look sick at all! Have they even found out what's wrong???" To me---that was the unsaid, the doubt, 'are you faking it!?'

Barbi and all, just think about trying something like this as this is what I started doing when I had just had enough of it!!!

My responce to Dr's and everyone was----" Well thank you, I work really hard at hiding it!!! It is hard sometimes though!!! Then walk away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They won't say it again!!

Please remember that I AM NOT MAKING LITE OF THIS AT ALL!! I went through it for years and I know how frustrating it is!!! But for me, I would love to 'not look sick' most of the time!!! How ironic huh, the very thing that used to make me sooooo angry! Funny how things change.

I never, ever thought I would say that! But, now I can't hide it at all. My eyelids droop so bad that it's hard to see sometimes. Left side droops 95% fo the time, bags under my eyes so big you could hold a pencil under each one---LOL. I always look sick now and no amount of make-up, jewlrey, hair style hides it anymore! Kind of sucks---I'm certainly not attractive to my husband anymore and it's all to obvious, and it hurts a little.

But---I've been there and y'all need to come make with something and let them all know that it's not too cool for them to say that to you!!!!

TCW----LOL--ha,ha,ha, Love it, I cracked up when I read that--best reply I've ever heard!!!!!

BettyG----Great one!!! That's exactly what if feels like and pretty much what's going on, huh!!!

Many blessings y'all!

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my family finally believes how sick i am, but i

still cannot let go of the strong need to prove

how sick i am and deathly ill i feel, i really

wish i didnt look so good! i think so often how

can i look so good, so normal when i feel like i

am dying? its nice to know i am not the only one

who feels this way! i just wish i could get

peace of mind and not worry or care about how i

look!

Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell people that I've become really good at hiding it. I work full time and have throughout this whole treatment (except in jan i am going on disability. My work has no clue.

I feel crappy most of the time, but make-up can do amazing things and so can a nice outfit.

If anything I think this enlightens us (that are chronically ill) on how superficial our world is. How encrediable unaware most of the world is on a real level.

It's like the 1950's, everyone with the perfect family, husband and wife and two children boy and girl and a dog. Only we've modernized ourself to think that because gay people can have families, and fashion has become affordable, that anyone who "looks" trendy or has a decent car, must live this great life-style or at least a normal one.

It's sad to think that 50 years later our world still masks disease to the point that it goes undetected by the average person and yet once found out incrediable screwintized because the un-sick feel fooled.

A couple of hundred years ago, Benjamin Franklin shared with the world the secret of his success. Never leave that till tomorrow, he said, which you can do today. This is the man who discovered electricity. You think more people would listen to what he had to say.

I don't know why we put things off, but if I had to guess, I'd have to say it has a lot to do with fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, sometimes the fear is just of making a decision, because what if you're wrong? What if you're making a mistake you can't undo?

These people have no idea what kind of situation we face every day. Because they are too scared to even see beyond our appearence. We are the braves ones facing our biggest fears every day.

Happy holidays,
L

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a long enough time you may not have to worry. They don't say that to me anymore -- I kind of wish they still did.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barby,

i recently posted a topic on what my cousin told me, basically to forget this whole lyme thing and to just get on with my life...

i was and still am speechless.

ofcourse other than myself (and the good folks here) noone will underdstand you or feel your pain and misery.

please stay strong and treat yourself since noone else can do that for you,

this may sound easier than done but i am trying to somehow take my very own advice as hard as it really is.

on the outside i too look good and healthy,

but on the inside i know and feel something is not right and by blood work as well as my doctor agrees with such.

so i try to watch alot of tv and do sleep alot now thanks to xanax.

also remembering how my life used to be not very long ago makes me very upset,
since i was a totally different outgoing person who loved to travel, drove nice cars, loved to party, went out everyday and did all types of cool and different things, and was always with the in crowd...

now things have changed, my life is ruined as i see it now, and coming to an understanding with such is the hardest for me.

and when people tell you things like what my cousin and others told me is hard ad depressing.

so regardless of what people say and think, stay strong and treat yourself and know that one day you will be back again.

those who dont help and dont understand are not your real friends.

good luck.

best regards,
eric

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

Bless your heart; we all know how it feels to 'look back at what life once was'----I'm sorry!

Remember, what once was...can be what is to come! I hope you check this post again because I want you to save it to your favorites. Then please go back and read what you wrote and the advice you gave her in your post!

I'm pretty sure this is advice that you were trying to except also and you can! Read, and re-read it again and again! On a bad day or moment, come here and post away!!!!

Also----WHAT IS YOUR COUSINS E-MAIL ADDRESS!!!??????? [rant]

Look at the post by Tincup, "The Spoon Theroy" and make him go to that site!!!!!!!!!!!! Then hand him a bouquet of spoons from all of us!!!

Hang in there!

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scared,

Thank you so much for your genuinely uplifting words...

[Smile]

We all must try I guess since there is no other choice.

I just hope that the true road to recovery is sooner than I see it as of now....

[Frown]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

I'm not sure how old you are, but I am 24. I used to go out and party, was alway the one who organized everything, drove the nice car, had the great boy friend, lived every moment. I was actively involved in philanthrophies, work, sports, and a social life that never ended.

3.5 years later some of that is gone, some of that is on hold, and some of those people are still around. People see and do what they want to. We can change no one but ourselves.

My doctor told me it was going to be a long road. I thought she meant 6 months. haha There's so much that we gain from this disease. There's so much that changes us to appreciate what others can't even conceptulize.

We may have a disease that isn't curable, but we have the biggest hearts, the most patience, and the stongest hope out of any single group I've ever met. We will find a cure, we will get functioning again and we will move forward.

I don't want to go back to my old life. I want to move forward with my new one.

Smiles

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement