LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » should i get sammy tested for lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: should i get sammy tested for lyme?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we'll get sammy, our new lab next week. she's a rescue so we don't know what her history is.

i've scheduled an appt with my vet. should i ask him to check her for lyme. she's already been treated for stage 1 heartworms....

i think randi got them later in life and i don't want to go through that again.

so can he doe a blood test or does he have to use igenex> would she take the same meds as a human? can he tell us how long she's had it.

i just want to make sure she gets the best care possible.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForestNymph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ForestNymph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want to bring up any bad feelings but did you're previous lab pass away due to Lyme? I was just curious. My toy poodle is lethargic and acting strange and I'm scared to death that he has Lyme.

--------------------
Infected in March '06

Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia

Diagnosed June '07

Remission Since September 2011.

My Story:
http://lymelabyrinth.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/psyche_entranced

Posts: 119 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Bet you are excited about the new "baby". [Big Grin]

I actually am pretty sure at least one of my dogs if not two or more,

Have Lyme disease. Test they use for dogs is the C6 Peptide test.

It is more accurate than an Elisa for sure!

Standard treatment is either doxy or amoxil for 30 days.

I googled it and this is what I read.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyra
Member # 16706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know (I'm a vet tech), many places use Idexx 3DX heartworm tests which also are elisas for lyme and e.canis. We get positives daily here in Minnesota. Most places test for lyme yearly with the heartworm test (at least that is the case with Banfield). Some places use strictly heartworm tests, but most should be using the 3DX tests. If positive, then we usually treat for 30 days or longer if symptomatic with Doxycycline and as needed. Western Blots and C6s are also available and very expensive. Veterinarians I know usually just treat without all the testing. Once a dog is positive for lyme on the 3DX test (elisa) it is always positive for life and considered chronic no matter what (I mean they will always test positive). So different than in human medicine. Basically, you should just have to ask for the annual heartworm test to get an answer about lyme in a dog- as long as it is the 3DX brand.

Also, dogs tend to handle lyme MUCH better than people. We very rarely ever see tick-borne paralysis and other "late stage" issues (such as neurological issues)- even in dogs that test positive but are never treated their whole lives for whatever reason- usually because owners decline doxy since they see nothing wrong despite our plea that dogs are just stoic and instinctually hide weakness . They usually have lethargy and seem to always have shifting lameness- front limb lame one day, other front the next, then the rear limb the next week, etc. - usually limping. That is, if they are symptomatic at all. We rarely see symptomatic dogs even with all the positives every day. I have no idea why. We like to treat anyway.

Posts: 35 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my vet about if they test for lyme recently. They told me they test for it when they test for heartworms. Always! So I am sure they can test her. They say it's pretty accurate but who knows.

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vet tests annually for Lyme. My older dog had it several years ago and was treated with doxy.

She's fine now at almost nine years old. Her only problem is that she steals my other dog's food, so eats too much!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks so much. sammy has been treated for stage 1 heartworm with the lab rescue vet.

i'm going to take her to our vet, right down the street, and get him to check her out.

not that i don't trust their vet, but i'll get her records and i have such a great vet, i want to make sure.

yep, i firmly believe randi had lyme. i know large dogs don't live all that long but she died at 12 1/2. vet said it was congestive heart failure but it came on so suddenly, and she was unable to stand, just fall over.

we had taken her to several parks around here and she got out in the weeds and all. so i'm pretty sure she had it, although he tested every year and she was on heartguard.

guess i'm paranoid where my baby is concerned.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement