LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best Probiotics? Big Bucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Probiotics? Big Bucks
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using Renew for Life "Ultimate Flora" 50 billion cells, whatever....is this stuff worth the 30 bucks a bottle?

Am I getting ripped off....anyone know a better/cheaper one?

Thanks.....Rich

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best is Theralac.....hands down

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done well just buying stuff that my local health food store sells, but I take 2 pills each of 2 different brands, twice daily (8 total per day). And I don't buy anything that is too cheap, and I only use the ones from the refrigerated section.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rich, I'm using the same brand as you and did lots of shopping around. Even direct from the company it's still in the $30 range.

I buy one bottle of that and a couple bottles of the less expensive ones and rotate them. I get the bottle of 60 and take one at night before bed.

then I take the others at meals. Make sure any probiotics are taken at least 2 hours away from abx to get the best benefit.

The higher the cell count the better because lots of them don't make it through your stomach acid. (at least that's what I read)

proudmom [hi]

--------------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"--Carl Sagan

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the "best" and most expensive is what you NEED to use. Tyr a few different ones and you will find some you like more than others.

I am currently on one that is only $27 a bottle and I like them ok. I really like one that I found that is $60 a bottle but I can't always afford that. I know that even the cheap one is working because I began to get a girly yeast infection and they stopped it in it's tracks.

Look for symptoms you can correlate with them working or not working as a good guage.

I do, however, only use the refridgerated type.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best brands of probiotics are refrigerated. High culture and high strain. Your LLMD may recommend a good one.

I personally have used renew life ultra flora critical care for 7+ months and it is very good and can say I have never had a digestive problem because antibiotics were ripping up my stomach.

I rotate with others in my protocol like proud mom. She also states the best way to take them, alone and at bed time.

You will be sorry if you do not use a good probiotic. It puts all the good bacteria in that abx kills on a daily basis.

If you ever had a serious gut problem you would know not to skimp in this area!! [Eek!]

Theralac is ok. It has 20 billion cultures and only 5 strains.

The more strains the better it is for the gut. Replenish often!

[Eek!]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich,

I just ordered some of the Renew for Life "Ultimate Flora" 50 billion cells. I think it was Lymetoo who said they are really good and I know she has tried a lot of them.

I really like them and think they work better than a lot of others I've tried.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me to take probiotics with the doxycycline. I had assumed that I would take it with meals away from antibiotics and that the antibiotics might spend themselves on the probiotics rather than the spirochetes. Does anyone know about this?

Sheryl

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take two of the renew life every day and i think they're doing ok.

i was told by my llmd to never take any supplements with your antibiotics. take them at least 2 hours away.

seems to work for me.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Florajen per day's worked worked for me. Not sure if it's the best way to go, though [confused] ...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I started taking probiotics in 1983, after someone told me it would help my frequent yeast infections. This way way before I got Lyme. I've taken them all the time since then.

After decades of trying different probiotics, my favorite is "NSI 15-35" (15 strains, 35 billion live organisms at time of manufacture.)

NSI is the house brand at www.vitacost.com, which makes it cheaper than a brand name. I also go to www.retailmenot.com before I go to vitacost, and find discount codes for vitacost to lower my order price even more.

"NSI 15-35" is $27.77 for 120 vegetarian capsules, which is two months worth at normal dosage.

Even if you don't place a large monthly supplement order like I do, it still may be cheaper online, even with shipping, since you are not paying for store overhead, like when you buy supps. at the health food store.

I never trust any batch of probiotics before I culture one of them, however. Even with a really good product, you can get a batch that was left sitting in boxes on a loading dock in 100 degree heat all day, which would be worthless.

To make a culture, take a small dish and add at least 1/2 inch of milk. Open a probiotic capsule, dump it in the milk and mix. Let sit at room temperature. It should look like solid yogurt within 48 hours if it's good.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement