LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Picc line not flushing. need advice.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picc line not flushing. need advice.
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The past week or so ive been having a tough time getting my picc to start flushing and yesterday it wouldnt flush at all for me.

My nurse came out and was able to get it to flush with heparin after a little bit and she seemed to think it was okay after that.

Today i tried and couldnt get it to flush again. I called the nursing company and they advised me to go to the hospital. Well the Er nurse was able to get it to flush with heparin again and she said it was flushing fine after that.

She just said that i may just need to get it out and a new one in.

What do u guys think? has any one else ever had this happen?
What are the concerns with the picc not flushing like this?..clots, infection etc?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could also be a fibrin forming over the end too Joe. I really wouldn't mess with the situation though.

You've had the line in for how long?

Definately let your doc know that this is happening. He/she will have the best advice for you.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to go to the hospital everyday to get treatments and it seemed everyday they had problems with my line-I had 3 ports.

If you have someone else there with you, you can try to put your arm over your head why you lie back like in a recliner, turn your head away and cough.

It might take several times but the line will open up.

I had three different ports put in-one time because a nurse put it in but it just seemed everyday they could not get it to flush.

Hope you have someone to help you.

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a simple rule with PICC lines. Any problem take them out. If they people are good at putting them in they can use the same site. It is a lot quicker to do it that way,

Flushing with Hep is only a short term fix and my worry has always been what also gets flushed out with when this happens. The line is basically toast when it starts to get plugged to the point where you can't flush so unless you only need a few more days with it in, get it changed.

How long have you had the line?
What exact type is is?
What drug are you taking?

Depending on the type you may need a daily hep. flush to prevent if fropm getting plugged, it all depends on what the manufacturere says in the book that comes with it.
Also to minimize the risk of plugging, do not draw blood through the line. That will speed the demise of the line.

Also anohter trick is to get a 2 port line if you have a drug that is prone to plugging. That way you have a port in reserve whrn the first one no longer works.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a picc in for 8 months and in the beginning there was a couple times it blocked up. The nurse suggested the end of the line may just be "up against the vein wall"

Only had 2-3 times in the beginning and then it was fine the rest of the time.

Try moving your arm around a bit to see if you can possible dislodge it.

If not i would have it looked at. You don't want to fool around w/ those things if they are not functioning properly

Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
It can be a number of things as the other posters said- fibrin sheath, the catheter may be up against the wall of the vein causing resistance or the end of the catheter collapses when pulled back on with the syringe.

You can ask the nurse about cath flo, which they can put in the catheter for about half an hour and see if it works any better. Cath flo is an anticoagulant, helps dissolves any clots that may be there.

By the way PICCs (not all midlines) may be used to draw blood from, this is one of the purposes of having a line in. The key is to draw the blood first then flush the catheter with 20 cc of saline and change the cap. And of course follow through with heparin if this is recommended with this type of PICC.

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

I will be getting it out soon. My doctor is going to fax in an order to get it pulled this week.

I went to the ER yesterday and once again they were able to get it to flush with heparin. They just said i need to get it pulled.

Today i am unable to flush it again so they said to not even bother with it and get it pulled.

Ive only had this for 3 months and it has been working great ever since i got it.

Thanks,
Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you are not using something for hypercoagulation this will happen.

i assume you are not, i would suggest nattokinase 100mg 2-4x daily. arg is the best brand, get it at vitacost.

hang in there homie, things will turn around.

the heparin is not enough to keep the blood from coagulating nor is it enough to get the fibrin out of the blood. the dose you have been using is merely for the line itself, not the blood in the body.

get a new line, and use high dose natto, serrepeptase, or lumbro.

talk to u soon man

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement