LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What if the pharmacist asks questions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if the pharmacist asks questions?
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacist asked why the two different antibiotics and I told him about my struggle with Borrelia and also Babesia and Bartonella. I told him about my 5 months of Mepron and now taking abx. He seemed compassionate and understanding and wished me the best through this. However, he didact as if it was easily treatable, even though we all know the hell and time one must go through in hopes of successful treatment.

How do you all respond in situations such as these?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really none of your pharmacists business why you take certain meds. That is private info between you and your doctor.
I would just say its private.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly enough, I've had the opposite reaction from pharmacists. The ones that we have dealt with have to deal with the insurance company refusals to cover medications, and they get annoyed because "don't they know that lyme takes a long time to treat?"

It seems like our local pharmacists are more lyme-literate than many of our mds. Those that are young/inexperienced are more likely to not 'know,' but they are open to learning.

As merrygirl said, they don't need to know why you take what you take, and you can always say, hey, that's what the doc wants me to take, and leave it at that.

Take care,
kp

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my pharmacist ask me several times if my doctor knows what he is doing!

He asked for the second time last time I picked up meds. I finally told him that my doctor is highly respected in his field and that he knows what he is doing or I wouldn't bother going to him since I have to get on a plane to get there.

I told him that I see my doctor often and we talk on the phone between times just to check in. I wanted him to know that the doctor keeps a close eye on me.

I told him that this doctor has cleared some symptoms that I've had for a long time that no other doctor has been able to figure out.

I didn't tell him what I have or anything else. End of conversation.

Basically, he was trying to make sure that I know that the treatment is unusual. He has some responsibility to his customers if he feels uncomfortable with the prescriptions he is filling. I appreciate his concern but would not appreciate any intervention on his part.

In my view, he is doing his job.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the process of changing pharmacies due in part to a pharmacist who asked too many questions.

The straw that broke the camel's back, though was when they filled a 30 day zith rx with t-paks. They even ordered them and then gave me the paks, not individual pills!

At first I thought it was nice that he was concerned that I be getting the correct dose of abx, but then he continued on other rx's and it's really not his business why I am taking these.

To top it off, he asked openly so others could hear. What if I had something I didn't want broadcast to the world?

I felt it was very unprofessional. I've beenusing this local gorcery chain pharmacy sine i move to VA 31 years ago.

Now I'm switching to a national rx chain that is recently expanding into this area. I grew up with them! So far so good. They actually left my zith in the manufacturer's bottle, not in paks!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can I get some of those ILADS brochures???

[ 24. December 2008, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: richedie ]

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
riche, you can print them off from ILADS website. [Smile]

click on LDA icon on left side, and i'm sure you will see ILADS website from there or about burrascano's lyme guidelines! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd interrogate the pharmacist about some inappropriate topic in return. [Cool]
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacist really raised an eyebrow when I came in with rx's for plaquenil and biaxin. He asked what I was being treated for. I told him chronic late-stage Lyme. Well a month later I came in for a 3rd rx - pennicillin. Later switched to Omnicef. Eventually he stopped raising his eyebrows and just filled them.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Meijer pharmacist get quite rude about a 30-day supply of Malarone...trying to dig into my heath issues a lot. My wife was very, very upset at this person.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it got to the point where it made me uncomfortable I would just switch pharmacys we deal with enough ridicule from people in our lives whether not believing us or saying its easly treated etc

or I like what adamm said just start asking about their bms or something [lol]

Melissa

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I work for a company that is self insured so I believe my company is the final approver on meds and docs, etc....so I have had no issues with filling meds, other than this one pharmacist asking questions. I will admit he was very nice about it, but we'll see after multiple refills. Luckily they have multiple pharmacists so I usually get a different one each time.

We checked with the pharmacy near my parents and the pharmacist said it is none of his business, and should just fill the prescription regardless! If I run into too many questions, I'll switch to this pharmacy since they fill the prescription and stay out of the conversation. Whatever happened to doctor/patient privacy???

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacist has never asked questions. But sometimes I feel like telling him I have lyme disease but on the other hand I like wondering what he thinks is wrong with me. You know they have to wonder about it.

I am in that group of "but you look so healthy" so I know he is probably trying to figure out why I am on 3 different antibiotics as well as some fairly strong pain medication.

I actually throught that a pharmacist was not allowed to question what is wrong with you. Am I wrong?

Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear - the info below is my experience/opinion and I am NOT a medical practitioner.

As I read through this thread, I can see that we have a lot of different experiences with pharmacists and differing opinions on a pharmacist's responsibilities. Here is a link to an article that describes the pharmacy profession pretty well:
What is a Pharmacist?

For a more technical explanation, google search for the Board of Pharmacy in your state. (For example, the codes that define the duties are posted on-line for California.)

In short, pharmacists are one of the front-line medical practitioners. Some can help you locate the appropriate doctor for your problem or select appropriate drug therapy. They can be particularly helpful if you see more than one doctor. The pharmacist may recognize that medicines prescribed by different doctors may interact or worsen one of your conditions.

Unfortunately, many pharmacists act as little more than specialized clerks in our current medical system. Just as there are doctors who have poor "bedside manner" or are unprofessional, you will find the same in pharmacists, nurses, etc. All must respect your medical privacy under HIPAA.

Just as we've shopped for the right LLMD, we may have to do the same for a pharmacist that can meet our needs. (Some of us want a hands on medical partner, some may want a pharmacist to just dispense the drug.) In my experience, you can't really tell what quality of pharmacist you will get based on whether it is a big chain store or an individual ownership.

I too am rethinking whether to change pharmacies. My current one is making a lot of dispensing errors and often doesn't have common drugs in stock. They refused to deal with Mepron outright; had to find a second pharmacy for that drug. (I think the refusal was cost related.)

Best Wishes to all for better health in the coming year!

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my pharmacist, gerald, at walmart, knows i have medical issues. but he would never, ever question me.

he's always courteous and responsive to my needs. he does comment when i get something that's contraindicated with something else i'm taking.

no complaints here.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I am just being treated with Doxy and a whole bunch of other stuff to keep me comfortable.

My pharmacist is very understanding and will do anything for me but one time she did ask me are they just going to treat with Doxy.

I told her a I am waiting to see an LLMD who can treat me properly.

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very first time I had to pick up antibiotics, I was questioned by the pharmacist. But he was very professional about it, he came out and spoke to me so I wouldn't have to yell my medical history over the counter to him.

He was concerned because in his own research, the dose I was being prescribed was four times the usual dose. He called my doctor to verify that it wasn't a typo or a mistake, and has been fantastic ever since.

I think it's good to have another person that these things go through, because what if it had been a mistake? Or there's a miscommunication and I end up taking things that are contraindicated?

There is, however, a difference between honest concern and nosiness.

Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the last poster...4 times the typical dose? That seems a bit excessive. Not trying to be nosy [Smile] . Hopefully it's OK. Merry Christmas!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc says there is no lyme here and only precribed abx because I bullied him and made him talk to Canadas retired lyme doc. At the pharmacy the pharmacist asked me really quietly why I was taking such drugs (zith and mepron) so I told her. She repllied that they are getting lots of people in with 'that' ....
So doc says no lyme and pharmacy treating lots of people. wierd how that happens...
I didnt mind telling her.....

Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a three-month supply of Mepron from the drug company to treat babesia. When I picked it up, I had a beastly time at the pharmacy -- none on hand, hand to send out, then was offered some that was out of date. FINALLY they got it in, insisting on calling the doctor first to be sure I should really get that much.

My LLMD's secretary told me later they asked her if I had AIDS.

[Eek!]

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's none of the pharmacists business! It's their job to make sure the Rx is correct and that you don't mix anything dangerous!
Phil M
Member # 16135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by merrygirl:
It really none of your pharmacists business why you take certain meds. That is private info between you and your doctor.
I would just say its private.

Melissa

Thats right! I have a nosy pharmacist. I have no problem telling him to mind his own business!
Posts: 16 | From Ga | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle,
Sheeesh!!! What we have to put up with!!! Your diagnosis is NONE of their business.

I think it would be a violation of your rights if anything was divulged that they don't need to know.

We've missed you around here. I hope you are doing well.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

Personally I think most of the LLMDs
that start getting hassled by
state medical boards are
Ratted Out by some pharmacist -

When questioned by the pharmacists
I tell them that I have both Lyme and
Babs -

I explain to them that large doses
of ABX are now needed because doctors
had no clue what was wrong with me
for many years --

So Now I have to take big doses
of several ABX to kill off these germs--

I Always End the conversation by telling
the pharmacists that I
--- Feel Much Better Now --- Jay -

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my pharmasist asks questions, I play real dumb. I look innocent, shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno". They buy it.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting to read everyone's experiences with pharmacists because my husband is one. I had him read this thread and he was appalled at the nosy or rude PharmD's out there.

That said, he does try to ask patients questions. It's good to have them to double-check what the doctor is doing, not to be nosy but to make sure that patients are well taken care of.

Also, they are the drug experts. A lot of doctors I have seen, even my LLMD, does not know nearly as much about how the medicine works as a pharmacist does.

They can be an equally important part of your medical team, but that is IF you have the right one!

If they make you uncomfortable or are just not professional, there are plenty of others out there who will help you.

I feel lucky that my LLMD actually considers my husband's advice in planning my therapy! I think that's a great model of how a pharmacist and doctor can work together for the patient's best interest.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes soliel

I agree with you. My pharmacist has been a great resource for me many times and way more accessible than my doctor.

But with lyme treatment, I worry they will turn my doctor in, so I play stupid.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I CANNOT believe many of you think the insurance companies aren't fully aware of exactly who the LLMDs are. lol. The can run a report in 5 minutes and detect that. Let's not be too naive here and believe are LLMDs are 'cloaked' from the powers that be. [Smile]

Let's see.....run a simple report showing the number of antibiotics Rxed per patient....geez, we just found our mysterious LLMD list.

richedie
Member # 14689

My LLMD did call the pharmacist once and everything went OK so they seem to work well together so I am hopefull. Plus, I haven't had one peep from the insurance company about fillinf meds. I have been paying into health insurance for years, the least they can do is fill my meds for a while, during this treatment!
In my opinion, treatment should really come down to you and your doctor, but I appreciate if the pharmacist has concerns but doesn't get in the way. I will say, I have been feeling better.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of my abx is also 4x's what is usually dispensed - but it is needed and it is helping

I was also questioned by our pharmacist some time ago. After a chat, he has been on board with all that needed to be filled.

With our plan, any long term meds should go through a mail order company. They were badgering me with mail and phone calls. They already knew that my family was on long term meds, and with this plan we would be penalized if we did not switch over to mail order.

So we did.

The first 3 mos supply for me took over a month to process. They contacted my doctor to verify that the dosages were correct, but also wanted medical proof that it was necessary.

The second 3 mos supply was ordered, this time they said that they were going to deny me my meds. It took over 2 weeks to straighten this out. My doctor again had to step in and send info to them. They complied, but I was told that next time I would probably be denied. I told the pharmacist on the phone that I should not have to prove to anyone there how sick I was. That missing dosages threatened my life. She was compassionate, somewhat.

She went as far as telling me that if the mail order company denied my meds, that they were under contract to share that info with my insurance company. Then the insurance company would not have to pay for any meds too. Invasion of my privacy, you bet. Sounds criminal to me.

So what are my choices? Do I return to my local pharmacy for now and pay 2 to 3 times for my meds. Or do I take my chances with the mail order and a possible denial which could leave me without any abx at all? The questions that they asked were very personal. The stress that this caused was too much. Set me back for weeks.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyme ED:
The pharmacist is just doing his job.

Pharmacists DO have a responsibility for patient safety, and are supposed to be a "second check" on doctors. They have an obligation to make sure that prescriptions do not contain mistakes, etc. that might be harmful to patients. (Doctors make mistakes sometimes!)

Hence if they see a script that strikes them as unusual or outside the normal prescribing doses/durations that they typically see, they will ask about it to find out what it's for. They will note in their files that they talked to the patient and documented the reason for the script. -- that's to protect themselves against liability as well.

Their motive is usually just patient safety and protection themselves against liability. They aren't trying to give you a hard time.

I can vouch for this, as my wife is a pharmacist. She's caught many DR errors; it's her policy (and company's as well) to double-check anything that seems unusual. She has saved a couple people from DYING due to prescription interactions that the Drs didn't catch. If she didn't catch something, she might get sued (thus she has excellent insurance just in case).

But there's a difference between double-checking and sheer nosiness or saying that the doc is wrong, etc.

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement