LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » After 20 yrs. treating/Need some tips Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: After 20 yrs. treating/Need some tips Please
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I wrote about this bu not correct opening.
Had been on net for long time until I started
doing surveys for few extra food $$$$. Lost what lived off in market as many have, hope this is wake up call for all greed U.S.

Anywho was to start pic line Christmas Eve but Ins. problems & lot people involved just to gedt pic line, including e-rays.
Been put on hold till INS. approves it is $2,000 just to 1st day start

What do I do I live alone no fam. rest friends sick with this crud.
Do no have en-gerny to drive myself for 60 days.
Thought they just set up & I can give to myself. Have nursing/PA background.

f I get any sicker than I am now I may go tad crazed, certainly not be behind wheel
Fooooo SURE.

I am happy & scared being alone??Not knowing what
Times been so ill not able to eve figure out call 911.
Any help from people ben there done that. Helps!

Hugggggggssss, To all in need [group hug] Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 7 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kerry,

I wish I could help you here, but I have not yet gone the route of a PICC or IV antibios.

What I have read here is that many people apply or ask their doctor for home medical care, so that once the PICC is installed at the hospital (best thing to do), then they have a nurse come to deilver the meds and help with the cleaning and changing of the line.

It sounds to me like you need to get a home medical service for sure, since you have major neuro involvement right now that could endanger you while driving etc. Maybe there are some here that can speak to that and give some pointers?

There are a few threads I wish I could recall the titles - they might be helpful for you - maybe try searching the Medical forum for "PICC" or something like that?

I will bump this for you since I am sure many of us are busy today or laid up like me but unable to check in much. Take care of yourself and don't worry too much about not getting this in right away -it is good to have people working on you when they are not distracted by the season, if you know what I mean. [woohoo] [Wink]

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i do believe that medicare requires in office
visits for iv therapy.
don't know why, but many people having iv with me had to drive4 hours every day to get to the docs
office.
i had private insurance and only came in once a week.

maybe you could find a cancer center near you \
that the doctor could send the rocephin to
and have them administer it.
it is no big deal to do it yourself, as i have had
3 picc's in 6 years.

the other option you could ask the doc is to use a pump.
the pump is carried around and changed once a day
if i recall my days with my pump.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a PICC it is a pretty simple process./ Yo can do everything your self at home, even the changiog of the PICC dressing if the PICC is set up correctly.

Heres what to do.

Ask that they put the PICC ont the top of the arm. This is not the best place for it as it gets in the way but it makes it much easier to do it your self.

Ask that they stich the PICC line in place, they should not use the adhesive butterfly to hold the line in place. With the adhesive, you need to change it and it is pretty well impossible to do it with one hand.

Ask for an 18" extension to be put on the end of the picc line. this will allow you hold the end of the line with the hand on the arm that has the picc line in. This allows you to quickly connect and disconnect the IV line.

Ask that they put the picc line in the non dominant arm.

If possible, ask they they leave enough line or position the PICC so that you old the end of the PICC but putting ithe cap in the spot where you arm folds when you bent your elbow. If you can do this then you can hold the cap and change it as needed without anyone else helping. It woorks very well and you do not even need the above mentioned extension once you know how o do this.

You Don't need the IV pole that they load you. You cand give yourself the IV pretty well any place that there is a picture, curtain or doorway. Just keep some elastic bands and paper clips in you pocket and hang up the IV bag on those.

In all the only difficult part with the PICC is changing the dressing. This needs to be done every week but you can do it yourself once you learn how.

I have had 8 PICC lines over 5 years. You tend to learn all the tricks over that length of time so the above are proven tricks that help a lot with self care.

Good luck.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His for suggestions. I have nursing P.A. background but been out awhile, yet still remember just always did to others in hospital.
Some good suggestions I did not think about, Thank You.
My biggest problem doing pretty much alone & not sure if can be any sicker at times, or drive home.
This yr. even shower is almost impossible.

I am fighting INS. on every level as many you have done.
Including home health care I can do myself.
Better here than out there in 2 ton vehicle.
Been in enough accidents I have not caused do not want to be the cause.

Any other tips. Welcomed. Heard is tuff taking shower, already big problem, this yrs. slid BIG time. Toooo long waaaay too many yrs.
All we can do now is stop the progression.

Take Care [group hug] Hugggggsssss, All in need....

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found vetenary beth pennicclin at farm stores and its almost exactly bicclin just very very cheap. Yes, made in USA too.

Animal needles are the same used for us.

They are cheap too.

I didnt find it all that effective but better the orals.

I found ABX to only be a part of solution...rife or very powerful soundwaves and other alternative tx and EXERCISE VERY helpful for me adj.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement