LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron and Azithromycin is not working like Clindamycin/Quinine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron and Azithromycin is not working like Clindamycin/Quinine
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe EMF sensitivity and I developed this while treating lyme, I became light sensitive and EMF sensitive while IN lyme treatment,

so the LLMD decided to treat Babesia because we had never treated it, and I have had untreated lyme/babesia for 15 years,

so anyways we did the Clindamycin and quinine first because it was covered by insurance, and my EMF sensitivity became slowly better, I was back on computer 15 minutes then longer.

I then stoppped this clindmycin and quinine after 3 months, and went to lyme treatment, had Babesia relapse 8 months later,

now seeing a new LLMD, old one retired and this new LLMD put me on Mepron and Azithromcyin as this LLMD said it is better treatment,

NOT for me, for my EMF is not better much at all, but I did have to stop treatment because too strong so I dont get it.

My work is on computer so I want it to get better the EMF, and I have about 1 months left of Mepron and Azithromycin which means I have been on this for 7 months.

LLMD said if this does not work, to do the Clindamycin and Quinine again,

I tested very positive for Babesia Duncani, maybe Mepron does not work for this strain I have.

I am SOOOOO down, because I want to work again, havent for 8 years.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Health--

Yep Babs is a tuff bug--

To show much progress Babs has to be treated

Babs has been the hardest for me and
most other people to get control of also --

Mepron dose work perty good - but it
has to be taken Contentiously until
you are symptom free for several months--

Most people taking mepron have a
supply problem during treatment because
of cost ( Insurance hassles ect )

So most people end up having to stop
and start mepron treatment several
times--

Each time this happens its like
Starting Over Again and the mepron losses
some of its effectiveness each time --

From my experance and what I
have seen is Biaxian can be more
effective than Zith when it comes
to helping with Babs --

Biaxian costs Much less also --

Also Tonic Water has Quinine in it--
and it helps Alot -

the strongest brand I have found
is Sweappss ( spelling)

The cheap tonic water has almost Zero
Quinine in it now because of the enormous
increase in the cost of Quinine --

Hope this helps you --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mepron did nothing for my Babesia

I take Quinine Sulphate 4 x 324mg a day
900mg Clindamycin a day.

The babs herx's were terrible but I made good progress on this and remain on it

I then added Artemisinin brand by Holley Pharmacy and it blew my head off - the babs herx was out of this world, it is amazing stuff but you must only use a pharmacutical brand and start at a low dosage and cycle it. For me I hit the babs on its cycles (for some its a 2 week cycle and others its a 1 week cycle) so I have a defined babs cycle weekly that lasts 24-36 hours and thats when I take the art so just 100mg twice a day for 2 days a week, then cycle off it for 5 days and go back on it and so on.

My babesia is getting less now - but again be prepared for the herx's but they DO pass

I am in Europe and get my meds in spain as they are pennnies (quinine sulphate 324mg is only 27 Euro's for 90 pills/clindamycin is only 6 Euro's for 24 pills. Also look at some other babesia/malaria meds that are only available in Europe as we have many to treat Babesia here. So you have many other options other than mepron/zith.

Riamet
Malarone
Larium
Artemisinin
Bactrim
Mora
Enula
Rizols
primaquine and chloroquine
Cryptolepsis

Hope that helps
Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also possible that the Clindamycin was working on Bart as well as Babs. That is what I think happened with hubby.

He was so much better on the Quinine and Clindamycin -- he only took 2 pills of each. Did this for 4 months. He has done this 3 times I think. About a year apart each cycle.

Would like to try him on just Clindamycin without the Quinine, but can't get current LLMD to prescribe this right now. He wants hubby to do Rifampin instead which just doesn't seem as effective in our opinion.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Juat how dangerous is Clindamycin? My LLMD seemed quite scared of it.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
Juat how dangerous is Clindamycin? My LLMD seemed quite scared of it.

There only problem with clindamycin is that it can be very tough on the gut and could cause ulcerated colitis.

I personally take lots of probitics and most importantly do weekly rectal refloridization by Victoria Bowman from Myrealhealth.com as if you take a probiotic only about 5% reaches the colon wheras with rectal 100% colonizes in 1 hour.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone here have an opinion on whether IV or oral clindamycin and/or quinine is best?
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the doses of Mepron and Zithromax?

be VERY VERY careful on clindamycin for your GI health. it's the # 1 offender for c.difficile so make sure you are taking tons of probiotics and Florastor daily!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rianna-thanks for the info about Myrealhealth.com. Do you know what's in the product that you're using for re-colonizating the bowel? What about mixing probiotics in a pre-mixed Fleet enema? It would certainly be cheaper. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doses of Mepron I am on is 1tsp twice a day and 500mgs of Azithromycin once a day.

After I was on this for 4 months, and pushed too hard,
I had this dosage too strong and stopped it for about 2 months, I was so sick I never wanted to touch another drug again. I could barely breath or move I was so sick, every move made me just about collapse from Stresss, I have never been so close to death from herxing, and will never push that hard again.

and even when this dosage was too strong, I still did not get better from the EMF sensitivity, so I dont know what is going on.
EMF got so much better from Clindmayinc and Quinine in one week and slowly got better.

Even now, I dont think I could increase the dosage because I feel it would be too strong, so I just am wondering what is going on.

I am still on it, and have gotten better but not that much better, and I dont feel STRONG like I did on the Clindamycin and Quinine.

I had sweats from Mepron but none from Quinine, so that is odd.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Health,

The famous Dr. J (in CT) told me that babesia duncani is resistant to Mepron. If it were me, I would switch to something else and definitely add artimisinin.

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Hi Tickbattler,

Your PM is full and I wanted an answer to this now, so hope it ok to post here, quite sick.

I am very concerned with that you wrote that Dr J said that Babesia Duncani is resistant to Mepron, Are you sure about this?

If you are, then this MUST be made public to us all here, and ALL LLMD's should be told this, because

THIS IS MY LIFE, and I have wasted it on Mepron and my LLMD should have known, I am so upset,

Not only money is wasted, but my body and the effects on my system.

Why does Dr B not say this?

Can I make this a big bold message to others on here that Babesia Duncani is resistant to Mepron?

Do you have children that see or saw Dr J? I think I read he only sees children up to 18?

Have you heard any other LLMD's saying this about Mepron and Babesia Duncani? because maybe I need to switch LLMD's

I think it would be good for me to post this as a new topic and have other comment on it, so i can find what others say and maybe I can find another LLMD, what do you think?

Who is your LLMD?

Does he know this? about Mepron and Duncani?

Thanks,

Trish

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health,

My first positive babesia test was the FISH from Igenex, and supposedly back in 2004 or 2005 it only detected b. microti. So I was put on Mepron and Zithromax for 3 months. I did make "some" progress, but not a ton. I think I did herx though.

Recently my LLMD decided to retreat babesia. This time we did Mepron (1 tsp twice daily) and Zithromax and Plaquenil (6 weeks of the Plaq) for 5 months. It might have helped a little, but wasn't a miracle by any means. I am still sick. Not sure which TBD it is though. I don't think more Mepron would have helped because as the months went by on that dose I just kept feeling worse and I think it was from the drug itself.

On my last couple weeks of this round of Mepron, my LLMD ran a titer for babesia duncani from Sonoma County Public Health Labs. It was 1:512, which he considers positive. He was shocked, because he thought I had microti, though he said some East Coasters do have duncani. But he decided to just treat Bart instead for now.

Anyways, I have talked to some West Coasters who are seeing a very prominent LLMD in California, and I believe they had babesia duncani. This doctor was putting them on Mepron, but he insists upon using artemisinin too I believe. I know this doctor also uses Clinda/Qunine for some of his patients.....so I am not sure if there is a rhyme or reason to it.

What I had heard about what dr. J in CT said was that duncani is resistant to mepron and zithro ALONE, and that you have to add artemisinin. So if you add artemisinin, maybe you are okay? I don't know.

I was using artemisinin for the last 6 weeks of my recent Mepron stint....I think it WAS affecting my duncani.

But, since I only combined them for 6 weeks, i'm not sure if Mepron+Zithro+artemisinin is enough to eradicate duncani in my case.....I'll never know, because I am not going on that yellow stuff again....

I am pretty sure I still have babesia, because I am having night sweats still.

I am thinking next of either trying Clinda/Quinine, or just artemisinin on it's own, or maybe in combo with Zithromax.

Hope all this helped you some. Part of me wonders if pulsed artemisinin is enough to get rid of duncani....who knows, right?

Either way, I'm frustrated. Feel free to PM me...anyone reading this. I could talk about this all day long. I am sick of being sick and determined to get rid of this.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Anyways, to make it brief.....I would not take Mepron for duncani without adding artemisinin. If you add art, you may stand a chance, at least according to these highly regarded LLMDs. (dr. H in CA, dr. J in CT) Dr. J, as far as I know, will not treat adults.

Even if I only had microti, I would still add artemisinin.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD in the Midwest still uses Clindy/Quinine in his protocol as first choice to treat babesia, although Dr. B in his guidelines suggests otherwise.
My LLMD had said something like "mepron is overrated."

I suspect I have babesia, although I don't get headaches. My initial illness came on suddenly with high fever, drenching sweats, and chills. I have a lot of fatigue, still.

I can't tolerate the babesia drugs. Doxycycline helps the most, but then it is a weak babesia drug. Enula tincture didn't make a dent. I've given up on the Cowden protocol for myself, anyway.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Mepron, Biaxin and artemisinin for Babs Duncani. I herxed like clockwork, every three weeks, for a week at a time, so I know it was working.

After a year my LLMD wanted me to switch to something else. I'm now treating Bart for a second time. I know I am not finished with Babs, but am still on artemisinin, at a higher dose than before, and Zith, Mycobutin, and plaquenil.

I am herxing right now. Can barely get out of bed. This is exactly what my Bart herxes were like two years ago when I first treated for it.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

quote:
Originally posted by sunnymalibu:
Rianna-thanks for the info about Myrealhealth.com. Do you know what's in the product that you're using for re-colonizating the bowel? What about mixing probiotics in a pre-mixed Fleet enema? It would certainly be cheaper. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I am away in Spain at the moment so can not give you the ingredients, but contact Vicotria Bowmann. The product comes with the mixing/emema bottle. It is mixed in water and then put in a jug of warm water before using.

Rianna

Rianna
Member # 11038

quote:
Originally posted by tickbattler:
Hi Health,

The famous Dr. J (in CT) told me that babesia duncani is resistant to Mepron. If it were me, I would switch to something else and definitely add artimisinin.

tickbattler

I totally agree..... I added artimisinen from Holley pharmacy in CA as i was told by LLMD that it was the purest avalable and it totally knocked my head off as it seems to be double the strength of any other art.

I hit my babs on its cycle with art for just 2 days a week and on top of Clindamycin/quinine it works well - I only take 100mg 2 x day as I say for 2 days on 5 days off each week and this brand seems to be so good I needed 1/2 the dosage of another popular brand.

Again be prepared for the herx's on Holleys artemisinin but it goes and then its so worth it

Rianna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement