LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for the experts: Co-infection Ehrlichia/Anaplasma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for the experts: Co-infection Ehrlichia/Anaplasma
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 5 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: Why do most LLMDs, like Dr. B and others seem to think that Ehrlichia is a co-infection that's easily treated and cured with Doxy short term while all other co-infections can go chronic like lyme? What makes Ehrlichia different in that it 'supposedly' cannot go chronic and it's 'supposedly' so easy to treat?

I've been battling a chronic low white blood cell count for over six years (and the counts are extremely low - in the 2.0 range, while normal is 4.0 - 10.5). Have been tested for just about everything that can cause a low white blood cell count (like AIDs and even having a bone marrow biopsy) and they were all normal. I haven't been tested for Ehrlichia except through Fry smear and that came back normal. Tomorrow I am having blood drawn for IGeneX Ehrlichia. We'll see what that says, but I'm not expecting much as most of my tests are always returning normal.

I've treated with Doxy and even Rifampin for over four months.... it obviously didn't clear Ehrlichia if that's what is causing the low white blood cell count.

I know that not all people with Ehrlichia have a low white blood cell count but many do and are affected in that way.

Anyone have any ideas about this?! And also about why Ehrlichia supposedly does not become chronic and for what reason is this suggested?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any ideas??? Scott, anyone??

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:
Anyone have any ideas??? Scott, anyone??

I had Ehrlichia with the Lyme. The first course of Doxy did not, in fact eradicate it. I think the first course of doxy at a higher dose did get it, but later, during and after the treatment for babesia my doc gave me another course of doxy just is case. Apparently, the coinfections and Lyme reinforce each other; together take more abx firepower for treatment.

You may have a low white count just from fighting so many diseases. But I believe the 3 main tick diseases, babesia, ehrlichia, and lyme all primarily attack the erythrocytes, or red blood cells. This is one of the causes of the tiredness-- the red cells carry the oxygen.
(I have to run now-maybe I'll add more later...)
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Maybe the issue is just that what you are taking for it isn't working against it? So maybe it isn't so much that it is "chronic", or that it is as stubborn as Lyme, but that nothing has touched your erlichia yet? Or maybe you need to lower your other TBDs more?

Maybe once something starts to work against it, it WILL be gone for good, but it is just a matter of finding that drug or supplement or combo of things that will get rid of it for you.

That is my best guess....I hope that makes sense! I am not by any means downplaying erlichia, only saying that for you it just might take persistance and experimentation before you find something that will target yours.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of something else....maybe there was a problem with how you were taking the doxy....I would eliminate all those possibilities.

I can't remember if you do dairy or not, but maybe it was dairy, or a multi-vitamin (or mineral), or another prescription, that was lowering your doxy's effectiveness? Did you take it on an empty stomach? All those things could have been factors.

You must have just not hit the jackpot yet, so keep trying! [Smile] Hopefully once you find something that targets it, it will then only take a few months (maybe?)! Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

I just thought of something else....maybe there was a problem with how you were taking the doxy....I would eliminate all those possibilities.

I can't remember if you do dairy or not, but maybe it was dairy, or a multi-vitamin (or mineral), or another prescription, that was lowering your doxy's effectiveness? Did you take it on an empty stomach? All those things could have been factors.

You must have just not hit the jackpot yet, so keep trying! [Smile] Hopefully once you find something that targets it, it will then only take a few months (maybe?)! Good luck!

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have any ideas???

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gi symptoms and could not literally feel legs a few years back. Then I tested positive for erlichia through igenex and was on IV doxy for 4 months. Retested after IV through igenex and still positive LLMd said must be wrong no more doxy needed. Still lots of GI upset but could feel legs again. wbc lymphocytes still very low since omnset illness. Now spirostat testing revealed babeswia microti and anaplasma positive. the IV doxy was not enough i'm sure causing chronic low wbc and lymph weakening immune system.
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Ehrlichia & bart first go round. My recent bite in June I got lyme & babs. The treatment for Babs has actually gotten me further than I was last year so maybe I had Babs all along? Anyways, perhaps you had lyme & ehrlichia and the lyme is creeping back. Either way, the treatment is very identical for both, so if you're having symptoms, and they are willing to put you doxy, you may consider trying it.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement