LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia Duncani - resistant to Mepron?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia Duncani - resistant to Mepron?
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told on here that a LLMD said that Babesia Duncani is resistant to Mepron and Azithromycin.

I have Babesia Duncani and am NOT getting that much better on Mepron, I am not wanting to increase dosage because even when it was too strong the EMF did not get better.
Maybe see what LLMD say.

I was on Clindamycin and Quinine before and the EMF was starting to get better in 2 weeks, slowly each week little better, NOT happening with Mepron.

I need to work and if I have EMF, I cannot.
I have been on antibiotics over 3 years straight now, and things are not going well. In bed all time.

I am so down and out from Mepron not working that well. I will be talking to LLMD soon.

7 months on it,

What about others that have Babesia Duncani, did you people get better from Mepron?

My LLMD did not put me on Artemissin and I sure he has his reasons. I was on if before with antibiotics and it interacted and near killed me.

thanks,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
would you mind telling me what you were taking with artimisinin that interacted? My son has B. duncani and Dr Jones said we needed to add artimisinin to mepron and zithro because B. duncani is resistant to the mepron
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I was on Biaxin and Flagyl at the time I tried artemissin for over a week. I had severe dizzy spells, vision blurry and double and brain

out of sorts, it was not a herx, because I took artemissin alone and herxed severely before.I stopped Artemissin and stayed on Biaxin and Flagyl.

Why would Dr J keep your son on Mepron if it is not effective for Babesia Duncani? Doesnt make sense, why not use something else? It seems like a waste of money to keep your son on if it is not effective.

What do you think?

It has been a huge dissapointment for me to not have this treatment work that well, first time I have had a treatment not work for me, but I also think that what if I do go on Clindamycin and quinine and it does not work?

I will talk to LLMD.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not believe Mepron is ineffective for babesia Duncani. I am walking proof that is not true at all. I am wondering if this was somehow misunderstood?

What I believe IS true is this: It is a nasty type of babesia.

If there are any studies suggesting Mepron is ineffective for b. Duncani, I have not seen them.

I beat it with Mepron/Zith/Artemisinin in combination-- two rounds of treatment lasting several months apiece.

While not all LLMDs use Art, I have seen studies that demonstrate it increases the effectiveness of the combo.

Babesia Duncani is nasty enough that Dr. J may have meant that adding Artemisinin is required to pack the extra punch needed to knock it out. At least that's what I hope he meant.

I will sympathize by saying that adding Artemisinin (after a couple weeks of Mepron/Zith) was positively brutal. I did not think I would get through the pain in my head. It lasted several days before tapering to something manageable. Artemisinin is effective but definitely not an innocuous drug when it comes to treating babesia.

Is there any way you can build up to it -- i.e., starting with micro-doses like 25/50 mg?

Don't give up! You can beat babesia and get better.

[kiss]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Michelle,

Thanks, I remember you. How long did you have Babesia before treating?

I had it for about 15 years. I am at the regular dosage, but I am not getting that much better, after just about 7 months. I have severe EMF sensitivity and this is from Babesia and

it is not that much better at all. I get severe burning on the computer all over my body as I type here now, and in my brain, I am upset because to be EMF sensitive to me is not to work, because my line of work is on computers.

I have the advantage to compare the 2 treatments for Babesia because I have been on them both, the Mepron and Azithromycin and the Clindmycin and Quinine. I had the EMF start to get better

slowly right away on the Clindamycin and Quinine and my strenght was so much better on that combo, now I relapsed from Babesia and

this Mepron and Azithromycin the new LLMD put me on is not working it is seeming to me.

Possibly it could be that if I went to Quinine and Clindamycin now it may not work like before, I dont know.

How long did it take you to see improvements?
My LLMD did not put me on Artemissin, I dont know why. I read some LLMD's dont like the Artemissin because it can make drugs toxic to us.

I have not had any treatment give me such terrible results as this, OH, actually Rifampin made me sick, after 2 months LLMD pulled me off it,

Thanks

Trish

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trish.

I had lyme and b. Duncani for about two years (misdx'd as "ABL" - Anything But Lyme).

I do not know very much about EMF. Is there any type of neuropathic pain medication you can take to ease that, such as Lyrica?

I am pretty sure that adding artemisinin to Mepron/Zith is a standard part of Dr. Burrascano's regimen for treating babesia. There is no doubt it is hard to take. To my mind, that's a pretty good diagnostic sign it is working. The nastiness of the first few days of artemisinin does get immensely better. It just has to be gotten through.

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

I need some more info from others that have Babesia Duncani and were treated with Mepron and Azithromycin.

I am extremely upset because after 7 months on this treatment it is NOT helping me much with Babesia symptoms. CLindamycin and Quinine were better but I was sick as can be,

For a Dr J to say that Babesia Duncani is resistant to Mepron that is a HUGE thing.

I need info from others please, I am getting to the bottom of this.

thanks,

Trish

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have babesia duncani, and have relapsed over and over after stopping mepron.

Did various combos - always mepron + macrolide + another abx.

Almost forgot - also did malarone + macrolides.

I thought I'd kicked it for good, but after about a year of no babs symptoms - it relapsed again.

Right now I'm back on babs treatment, and hoping for some better solutions also.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Cactus,

Have you used Clindamycin and Quinine?

I used this before, and my Babesia symptoms started to get better right away, slowly over time.

Not on this Mepron.

I was told the LLMD may put me back on Clindmaycin and Quinine if things dont get better.

Why not try Quinine and Clindamycin?

Trish

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks - I will ask about this at the next visit, coming up soon!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question for Health/Trish: were you on IV or oral treatments with clindamycin/quinine? Thanks.
Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

I was on Oral treatments, and it was a rough rough time on them, however because I saw immediate results with some symptoms it did make me feel better mentally, because

I saw improvements, however I could be put back on Clindamycin and Quinine and not have good results this time, but I could also have great results.

Trish

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemisinen can be hell on earth but is needed as part of your babesia regime, but it should only be used in short bursts as it is so powerful and an enzyme in your gut will build a resistance to it if you take it for longer periods of time.

This herb is so potent it spreads throughout the body and goes to every cell in the body & crosses the blood brain barrier quickly - in malaria 98% of parasites are killed within 24 hours it is so effective.

My advice would be to reconsider Artemisinin in a pulsed regime i.e 2/3 days on every 2 weeks at a dosage of 2 to 3 100mg pills a day.

Also ensure you use the purest brand available, personally I would only use the Holley Pharmacy brand www.holleypharmacy.com

DETOX IS A MUST - then as soon as you stop the artemisinen detox very hard, I have found any die off can be eliminated quickly with a colonic the day after you have finished your artemisinin cycle together with lots of water, burbur/parsley, Soluble Vit C, quercetin and mundipur and if able IV Glutathione

Mepron did nothing for me and I use Clindamycin/Quinine at high dosages with pulsed artemisinin.

Rianna

[ 06. January 2009, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Rianna ]

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbattler
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Jones also told me that babesia duncani is resistant to Mepron. Because my son's night sweats didn't improve after a month on Mepron, he has added artemisinin to the Mepron, azith, bactrim for my 4 year old son even though he only tested positive for babesia microti. (My son also tested positive for 2 strains of bartonella).

He keeps him on the Mepron because he said that it can kill the cyst form of lyme too, even if it may not work for the babesia. I'm guessing there are not as many options for going after the cyst form in children.

tickbattler

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tickbattler:
I would take the docs name out of your post.

I hear that babesia tests can cross react

Also dont forget Grapseed extract for cysts as it has been proven to be as powerful as any other cyst buster by Brorson & Brorson

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement