LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin - herx or adverse reaction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin - herx or adverse reaction
happygranny
Member # 8779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first bicillin shot of 1,200,000 units on Oct 12th and the burning pain in my arms and legs, esp my shins as well as really intense joint pain in my hands and feet and knees was terrrible.

I could not understand how people could take that dose twice a week. My MD didn't want to give me more than one injection a month because of harrassment problems, but he agreed to give me half dose every two weeks.

Each injection hurt more than the last. It hurt to use stairs, and I was taking a lot more Tylenol 3s and codiene to manage. I do not work, can barely manage with life.

In my search for an answer as to why this is hurting me so much and other people are taking 4 times the bicillin I am taking, I found the bicillin web site that lists the adverse reactions of bicillin and it said Joint disorder and exacerbation of arthritis as some of the adverse reactions listed.

Can some one tell me what to think about this?

The LLMD I communicate with via email says maybe it is and I should stop the injections. But what if it isn't and I loose ground painfully claimed?

Has anyone heard of anyone having this kind of adverse reaction?

The WB test I had was pos IGG Igenex Neg IGG CDC and Neg IGM both Irenex and CDC.

I had been off and on Oral ABX for 2 years prior to the WB test. Igenex results were weak positive.
IgG Positive Igenex and Negative CDC/NYS with + for 30
+ for 31 IND for 39 ++ for 41 and 58 and + for 83-93

The IgM was Negative for both Igenex and CDC/NYS with only IND at 31 and 41.

Anyone have ideas to guide me please?

Jeannie

--------------------
Dxd clinical Nov 05 - March 08 tested low pos. from Igenex Started Bicillin/Flagyl Oct 2008 was on Ketek Tinidazole prior -
PN, concentration low, tinnitus, PVCs, sore lymph nodes, hair loss, joint pain with some swelling, muscle tenderness.

Posts: 56 | From Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is I had a heck of a hrx that lasted for months but ultimately subsided.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happygranny
Member # 8779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Dave. Did you have a clinical Dx of Lyme or was it a Positive WB test? CD-57?

What kind of dosage were you taking?

Jeannie

--------------------
Dxd clinical Nov 05 - March 08 tested low pos. from Igenex Started Bicillin/Flagyl Oct 2008 was on Ketek Tinidazole prior -
PN, concentration low, tinnitus, PVCs, sore lymph nodes, hair loss, joint pain with some swelling, muscle tenderness.

Posts: 56 | From Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking 1.2 three times a week and I don't really notice any herxes. Maybe some minor ones in the first couple of months, but not really since.

I feel awful if I miss a shot, however. I totally and completely crash. I suspect you may be having some adverse effects. You are taking such a low dose, it would be hard to imagine those are herxes; particularly if you haven't experienced a similar type of herx on other abx.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Tracy, it does not sound like a herx. Bicillin is absorbed so slowly. And you are on such a tiny dose. Maybe it is an adverse reaction.

Are you working with an LLMD? Maybe it is time to try another antibiotic. You need to tolerate the drug and have a high enough concentration of it in your system to actually treat Lyme.

Good luck.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin is usually pretty tame as far as reactions go. Herxes can be prolonged on Bicillin as Dr. B's guidelines point out.

Also make sure whoever is injecting you is following proper procedure. If you graze a nerve, you can have some leg pain I would imagine. And watch for blood vessels.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happygranny
Member # 8779

Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate being heard.

It also was good to hear that it sounds like an adverse reaction rather than a herx.

the idea of using an antihistamine is interesting but I wonder what the difference is between an allergic reaction and an adverse reaction. Shheeesh! Nothing is simple and cut and dried is it?
Amanda you suggested getting blood work checked after next shot and I wonder what they would be looking for in that blood work to tell us anything?

The LLMD I was seeing had to take early retirement due to harrassement causing poor health. My MD is willing to give the shots in moderation, but really is not informed much about Lyme so I am pretty much on my own.

Jeannie

--------------------

David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeannie, my disagnosis was clinical as I was only positive for band 41. My herxes included general malaise, muscle and joint pain, tinnitus, vertigo, chills, fatigue..... You may be having a reaction. Bicillin is said to take about twenty four hours to reach peak level. So acute allergic reactions are fairly unusual. My herxes tended to really show up the day after the shot. Something that helped with my herxes was Detox Tea made by Yogi Tea Company. It's main ingredient is dandelion root. IF you were to try it and hae a reduction of symptoms, that would lend evidence to this being a herx. Some people have reported being very sensitive to Bicillin and only being able to tolerate pediatric doses until they get their bacterial load down.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement