LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herniated Discs of the Spine and Neck and Lyme... Any Relations ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herniated Discs of the Spine and Neck and Lyme... Any Relations ???
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herniated Discs of the Spine and Neck and Lyme...

Are there Any Relations ???

Please advise...

Thank You.

[confused]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueCheetah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueCheetah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has Lyme in addition to a herniated disc in his C-spine.

Both came on at the same time. I have no idea if they are related.

It is hard to know sometimes if his headaches and pain are from Lyme or the disc.

I would love to hear about this too.

--------------------
Lyme, Babesia Microti, possible Bart.

Posts: 173 | From A little south of sanity - PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i, too, would be especially interested in hearing from those with cervical issues.

since my fall mine is getting much worse. how much is lyme i don't know.

they won't do an mri until at least a couple of months. i think that's stupid but the insurance says you have to do conservative treatment first.

when you're in pain, i think they should do one immediately. guess you have to go to the er for that.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is always a tough call. I know my daughter was a cheerleader in high school when they were a full tumbling squad.

During her gymnastics training for cheering, she was doing the backward flips across the mat and during one of them, took a spill.

She was out for the season since they said she had a herniated disc, but this made sense. She had a major tumble and KNOWS when she hurt it.

It did get better with time, but then years later, when she was cheering in college, she noticed the pain coming back but she hadn't injured it this time.

Eventually, other things started going on and since I had been diagnosed with lyme after it left me unable to walk, many of her symptoms looked similar.

In my case, I was told I had degenerative disc disease.

So whether a herniated disc is related at all, it's hard to say, but I do know if you have had an injury, a surgery or whatever, that lyme does love to travel to that area and cause havoc.

Good luck and hopefully you will find something that will settle down the pain since it's not fun no matter what it's caused from.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that I have 3 herniated disks. Two in cervical and one lumbar. I'm not sure if there is any connection to lyme but would love hearing others opinions.
Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I have posted before on this. For me, IMO, it is completely related.

After infection I only had mild symptoms, didn't seek a doctor (night sweats, itchy skin etc.). Several months later the nagging neck pain started, got worse over about 4 months, then BAM, huge, dibilitating cervical herniation.

I was told 90% of people recover from such a herniation on their own, without surgery, fine. 6 months after my C6-7 herniation, the multiple, terrible neuro symptoms started, was in the ER twice. After a year of the neuro stuff, I had surgery on my C6-7 as I was in the unlucky 10% where it didn't improve and got worse.

Of course, the surgery did little to nothing to relieve me of the neck pain and all my neuro symptoms remained. It took another year to finally get figured out - Lyme, Babs, Bart, Ehrlichia and Mycoplasma.

I know people can have spontaneous disc ruptures. However, for me, the timing was all there - when Lyme infection was there, cervical issues began. In my heart of hearts I know Lyme and company caused the deterioration of my disc, though I guess I'll never be able to know for sure or "prove it" to any doc. By the way, I have also read several times that cervical issues among Lyme patients is much higher than the general "non-Lyme" population.

That's my story. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WeRAll1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric
I have read in many places and seen people talking about this connection.

Not seen proof.. But I have had these issues and it is interesting because I had the issues for the year leading up to getting fully ill and was not sure why.. Just kept having degeneration and herniation and was always treating the back.

To this day.. I get epiderals.. Every year... I am so trying to skip this year... I do not want to depend on them.

But.. well. I had to .. to walk..

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago I saw where someone on this site was asking for people with spinal issues to contact them. They were working with some doctors to make this connection.

I remember one person saying that they had MRIs over a 2 or 3 years period, and that the doctors were astonished at the amount of degeneration, given that the person did not have a degenerative disease or an accident.

My worst symptom is neck pain, I have not been able to sit for more than 15 minutes at a time for almost three years because it makes my neck pain worse. I had an MRI, and they only found a small bone spur, not enough to account for all this pain. OFten times, I will get a burning sensation at the base of my skull

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TS I am with you. It has to be Lyme related.

I'm not outdorsey so there is no logic in my being bit by a tic,

and I am not athletic so there is no logic in my having 2 bulging discs, a cyst on my lower right back that rests on a joint and can hurt like a @4#%, lower back pain all the way across, and I can't lift my legs to put my pants on!

It's damage from the bacteria or from auto-immune.

I had high ANA in 1999.

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother has herniated disks in C2 and C3. Our LLMD said that is was caused by lyme because he has never been in any car accidents or dont anything that could have caused it. He also said with treatment it should get better.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from tdtid:

"but I do know if you have had an injury, a surgery or whatever, that lyme does love to travel to that area and cause havoc."

i agree-from yrs of experience-what i have seen and gone thru myself

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrained
Member # 22066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebrained     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had 3 spinal cord injuries my former llmd's said were absolutely linked to lyme, though my neurosurgeon and other drs refused to believe that

i have degenerative disc disease...age 37 and i have recurrent cervical myelopathy, which means that the discs keep moving and compressing my spinal cord so i was temporarily paralyzed 3 times and i never know when it is going to happen again

I know too it is caused by the lyme.

Most of my pain now is in my neck, back and legs...the areas that were most affected by my spinal cord injury so lyme does travel to that area alot.

--------------------
Sick for 20 yrs+,dx'd 10 yrs ago fibro/cfs & hashimotos.dx 4 yrs ago w/neurolyme,recent adrenal failure, recurrent spinal cord injury,probable ankylosing spondylitis. Unable to get treatment & severe Cognitive, psych & physical symptoms progressing.

Posts: 82 | From az but moving to ft lauderdale, florida= plantation. fl | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never participated in sports that would hurt my neck, I never had a fall. I have no autoimmune disease, low ANA, in fact low immune cell counts. In fact, I was in a car accident a while ago before Iw as sick and they did an MRI and everything looked great.

Then I get sick with lyme and Babs. I was in bed most of the time. Then one day I woke up with neck pain and not being able to sit more than 15 minutes, out of nowwhere, lying in bed..

HAd another MRI done, and there is deterioration at c-5, c-6. Its gotta be lyme.

Made big mistake and had a steriod shot doen in the area. 30 minutes after that shot, I started having hearing problems, facial twitches, other muscle twitches... The doctor that gave me the shot said he had never seen or heard of a reaction like mine. So, its gotta be that the shot suppressed my immune system, and sent the lyme into overdrive. IT also made my neck pain worse.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement