LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Reverse Osmosis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reverse Osmosis
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does this help a lymie. I'm interested in buying a unit.

Any input on this unit
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm

As always thanks all for you help

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have this brand but I have a similar reverse osmosis unit that fits under the sink. I've had it for 11 years.

I believe clean drinking water helps everyone, not just lyme patients. Less contaminants for the body to deal with.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All i drink is poland springs water. I have the 5 gallon bottles delivered....

So would a Reverse Osmosis system be a waiste of money for me?

Thanks again

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the brand you might be most interested in is aquasana. I've been using an under the sink filter for a year and half now. It is quality system and you can read their specifications from their site. One positive, the unit removes 50% of the flouride from the tap water. That might not happen with poland springs.

http://www.aquasana.com/

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have RO water. It's good having purified water, BUT it does take minerals out.

My birds were drinking the RO water and had poor feathering. Their feathers on their wings were coming in like sticks. I bought some mineral drops at Whole Foods and add it to their water, now all is fine.

I add a pinch of Himalayan Salt to my water to add the minerals back.

Overall, I think it's good because there are so many toxins in our water, but I do think the lack of minerals needs to be addressed.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steelbone:
All i drink is poland springs water. I have the 5 gallon bottles delivered....

So would a Reverse Osmosis system be a waiste of money for me?

Thanks again

If you already have this set up, I'd stick with it. Poland Springs is spring water, so you don't have the minerals taken out like you do with RO.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Thx Goof [Smile]

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point six. My understanding is that most minerals are obtained through our food anyway but I do supplement with minerals because minerals are critical for lyme patients. We need them in order to produce the enzymes we need for detox.

I don't know anything about the spring water that you use but in order to compare you would need a chemical analysis of both. I've read many times that spring water is not necessarily free of the chemicals and pathogens that are damaging. It would depend on the water itself.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been drinking either distilled or reverse osmosis water for years.

We bought a Aquasana water filter a couple months a go and I am having a hard time getting used to the taste of minerals in it.

There are pros and cons with both systems. The distilled and reverse osmosis strips all the mineral out of the water, so you basically have dead water.

The Aguasana leaves the minerals in, but I don't know if it filters as well as the others.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0624sm
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0624sm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people who are chronically ill (like Lymies) also have elevated heavy metals and other toxins in their bodies.

RO filtered water is a good way to stop adding to the load.

The water that you buy and drink from plastic bottles is a lesser option, because it hasn't had the heavy metals removed, and it may contain a toxin from the plastic.

Don't underestimate the importance of replacing the good minerals that are missing in RO water, though, especially magnesium.

Perfectly healthy people who have changed their water drinking choices without mineral replacements have died from heart problems related to magnesium deficits.

--------------------
Dallas caregiver for husband Steve who has Bb, Cpn, Mpn, EBV, CMV, other Herpes family viruses

Posts: 51 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement