LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Assistance and opinions needed (long)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Assistance and opinions needed (long)
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,
I haven't posted in quite a while. Unfortunately it's not because I'm totally well. A quick recap of my situation:

In April of 2003, had a DVT (blood clot) in my right calf. Was hospitalized for 4 days until blood thinners became effective. Did a 12 month course of warfarin. In November of 2003, experienced new symptoms:

 Head fog
 Intolerance to alcohol
 Increased sensitivity to sugar consumption (symptoms increase)
 Facial numbness
 Sensitivity to climate changes
 Anxiety
 Pulse like sensation on occasion in my head
 Insomnia

After seeing a couple different types of doctors, I self diagnosed myself with Lyme and have seen about 5 different LLMDs since then. Making a long story short: I have since been on almost every type of abx imaginable including:

 Ceftin
 BiCillin Shots
 Tinadazole
 Flagyl
 Mino
 Levaquin
 Bactrim
 Rifampin
 IV Rocphepin
 IV Vanco
 Ketek
 Mepron
 Biaxin

My Igenex blood tests have shown a couple positive lyme bands although I wouldn't have lyme by CDC guidelines. I have also tested positive for Bartonella a couple times.

Bottomline with abx. Some have made me herx (Rocephin, early on with Levaqion) but none have completely alleviated the symptoms of facial numbness, head tingling, food and alcohol sensitivities, etc. Thankfully the anxiety and panic symptoms have not cropped up recently. And another factor is that when I have attempted to stay off abx, I start to feel worse. Generally speaking I can't go more than two weeks without feeling the need to go back on. My current LLMD, Dr. S from Maryland, thinks that the abx may be assisting with inflammation and is does not seem to know if my infection is active vs. damage created by past infection (if that makes sense?)

I'm again at a crossroads. My current protocol is:

3 weeks of Bactrim/Zith/Mino
1 week of Ketoncanazole for yeast reduction.

What thoughts and advice can anyone give me? I'm beginning to think I have another medical problem and I'm not sure what type of doctor to pursue.

Some possible thoughts are:

1- Do I have leaky gut which is preventing me from being able to clean up right. What kind of doc should I see about that? I live the Philly area if anyone wants to make a recommendation.
2- Could my blood be too thick and my facial numbness/head tingling be related to a cardiac or blood flow related issue? Again what type of doc to see to test that out? I did take some tests after 6 months on warfarin and was told I was not genetically pre-disposed to blood clotting.
3- Other thoughts on inflammation reduction? I'm trying my best to follow Dr. S's inflammation diet outlined in his book. That's tough.
4- ?????

Appreciate any help you can offer here.

Thanks, Chris

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie68
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris,

After all the different drugs you've been taking, your immune system has to be a wreck. Has anyone talked to you about restoring your immune system?

Posts: 51 | From Reno, NV | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymie 68,
I have taken various supplements to restore my immune system but I'd venture to say that this is an area thats been neglected. Any recommendations (supplements, programs, drs, etc.)?

Thanks for the reply!

Chris

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
Lightly Chelating

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you seeing Dr S in Towson? I see him as well, and am doing well, but relapsing a little since beeing off meds.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

shoney,
yes Dr. S in Towson. I like him but I'm not sure he knows how to proceed with me at this point.

What has worked for you?

Chris

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
Lightly Chelating

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement