LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Passing disease onto our kids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Passing disease onto our kids
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may have been answered in an earlier post. If so forgive me but I am not able to read even a fourth of them because of eye problems.

If we mothers pass this disease onto to our kids when we are pregrant then where does it end.

Do they also pass it onto their kids and so on? For how many generations?
I feel certain that I unknowingly did this to my kids.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick, from what I've read this is very possible. I think I've passed it to my kids, a Dr J appt will confirm it in April.

I've often wondered if my Lyme was passed from my mother- my four siblings and I show symptoms. I've been the only one to pursue a Dx.

My mom had symptoms as a child and so did her sister. My cousin's children have learning disabilities. Did my grandma it have I don't know.

I sometimes wonder what our family tree with Lyme would look like! I see my relatives getting remedies for the little things that ail them. And I keep telling them where and how to get tested.

So yes, I've often wondered the same as you - where does it end? I pray for them and for this nonsense to stop. It will. It will.

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I gave it to my two kids. I was just diagnosed last year. While I was pregnant, I had tons of symptoms but the docs kept telling me it was the pregnancy.

My kids are 6 and 3 and are being treated by Dr. J. Our follow up appt. is in April.

I don't think my parents have lyme so I don't know where I got it from - like so many, I don't remember being bitten.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you pass it on only when the infection is active? Or is it a possibility if you ever had the disease?
Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother and father also shows signs of lyme but won't seek treatment due to costs. My sister has been diagnosed and although my brother has not he does show symptoms. If lyme has been around for such a long time it seems to me we are just passing it on from one generation to another over and over again.
Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know in my heart of hearts that I gave it to my daughter unknowingly.

I was told I had Chronic Fatigue (for 20 years), even pregnancy was hard for me. Every year it seemed my symptoms got worse. I have been searching for an answer for literally 20 years, and just got my diagnosis 2 months ago!! My daughter is 6.

On a hunch that my daughter was just like me, I had her tested. Hated to do it because I hated to get her blood drawn. She was positive for Lyme and Ehrlichia, just like me. I had my husband tested too, but we do not have his results yet.

I think I passed it on because I was never treated, so the infection was always active. I have read that if you are on the proper dose of antiboitics that you will not give it to your child. They do not recommend breastfeeding. I breast fed for 14 months, thinking it was the best thing for my daughter......breaks my heart to know that I passed it on to her.

But, she tells all her classmates, I have Lyme. Me and my mom have Lyme. Then, they ask her what is LYME??!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firefly
Member # 18353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firefly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, let's take heart! Where does the cycle stop? HERE!

I have a 4 month old and I just got a positive lyme test. We will have her tested at 1 yr. I am thankful she is healthy. I am thankful I am getting treatment and that we CAN get treatment.

I got lyme/MS from any number of tick bites. I chose to live and work in the outdoors. At the time we didn't know the risk. We have a magical piece of property full of ticks. Thank God we can take measures to further protect our little girl.

We can not change what is done, but like so many posting all we can do is spread the word and work on prevention.
Good Luck and Peace
[group hug]

--------------------
Thanks and blessings to all who share themselves to ease the way of others
Dx: MS 1/2006; Lyme+ 10/2008; in treatment with great success

Posts: 22 | From Columbia Gorge | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone. where does it end.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

I realize we pass it on to our kids. That is something we already know. Maybe some of us are lucky and do not but for the ones who do my question is:

I was bit by a tick and passed it onto my daughter and son.

Will they also pass it on to their kids?

Is so how long does it continue?

I know none of us know for sure but I was just wanting some ideas.

sick

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they have to get the infection under control as not to pass it on. I read in the Burrushnaco protocol, if they are antiboitics, the fetus will not get Lyme.

But, he also suggests no breastfeeding.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dorothy,

my opinions from reading this board and NOT being a mom of any birth kids with lyme ok....

sooner your kids are treated and LONG ENOUGH with abx/supplements or other alternative treatments, and then getting under remission; i feel it can be stopped THERE, and not passed onto their babies.

perhaps others know more and perhaps scott forsgren since he goes to most of the big llmd conferences!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement