LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » massage experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: massage experiences
tkearn5000
Member # 18157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tkearn5000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to go in for my first massage this week. I've been doing some research on massage, and its benefits, and wanted to see if it could help me relax/detox.

I was wondering what others here who have tried massage think about it. I think I am going to request that they do not use scents or oils because of my sensitivities.

Any advice or stories would be appriciated. Thanks.

Posts: 11 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I knew it was Lyme, therefore not treating at all, I had a massage and it caused me to ache from head to toe for 3 days!

Maybe it would be different now that I have been treating for awhile.

Let us know how it goes for you.

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi; i'll give you some brief pointers!

my 1st was a gift to myself for my Bday; she used REIKI ON ME....NO NO! PURE HELL AND PAIN!!

i kept telling her to lighten up and she wouldn't! paid her $65 for all that pain. so i was gunshy.

INSIST ON THEM BEING TENDER; NOT DEEP TISSUE; it they won't carry out your wishes; tell them to stop, and I'M NOT PAYING YOU!!

i've had very good, gentle messages; felt good at time but my later ones would NOT last 30-60 minutes and I was paying $50-$60 for them.

my left hip was terrible in thigh area and she could NOT get rid of pain; it was deeper problem; i needed a new LEFT HIP as i was down to bone on bone.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER THERE AND AFTERWARDS FOR 24 HOURS ELIMINATING ALL TOXINS RELEASED BY MASSAGE!! most important thing to remember!

foot reflexology is good as when they work on your feet, they can tell which parts of your body hurt the worst!

see if they might give you a foot example which shows what parts of the body are located in foot so YOU/SPOUSE/FRIEND can work on you when you are really bad! good luck.

hope i haven't scared you, but you are PAYING FOR WHAT YOU GET ... ENJOY WHAT YOU PAY FOR! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tkearn5000
Member # 18157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tkearn5000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses.

I just wanted to mention that pain is not really an issue for me. My symptoms are mostly neuro related, and I have a number of food, chem, med intolerences.

I guess my concern is that I may release too many toxins and end up crashing. Brain fog is by far my worst symptom. I am hoping massage can get rid of toxins without making my symptoms worsen significantly.

Posts: 11 | From Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage takes a little experimenting. If your first one or more don't go well try someone else. They all have a different touch and experience level.

You'll find the best results over time. If you find and stick with one person they get to know your body and what it needs.

Don't be afraid to tell them what fells good and what doesn't. Even if you don't feel pain now it is interesting how they can find the spots you don't even know hurt. [Mad]

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love masage. And as mentioned above, everyone has their preferences. I feel best with deep tissue/sports massage.

This works best for the tension that I carry in my upper back, neck, and shoulders. If you don't have pain issues I would recommend this type. Therapists are always open to your suggestion to use more/less pressure.

If you want what I call a tickle massage, go for sweedish it is very gentle...but a waste of time if you are looking for muscle knot release etc....at least in my opinion.

CST or Cranial Sacral Therapy done by a massage therapist can relieve some neuro symptoms as well. I hav had excellent results with this.

Good luck and happy relaxing,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a massage therapist who is well versed in many types of massage. I have a guy who knows cranial sacral and lymphatic drainage techniques. He also knows myofascial release. He uses a combination of those techniques on me as he sees the need.

I found that combining the right techniques makes an even deeper massage than the deep tissue .... previously I always liked deep tissue.

Massage can release a lot of toxins, so drink a lot of water that day.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage is one of those things that varies wildly from person to person.

I need deep tissue massage. For others, that would be way too much.

It can also take a few tries to find the right therapist. I saw three or four people before I found my current therapists (I have two different people I work with, depending on who is available).

I would say that the best massage therapist is someone with an innate intuative sense of where to go to fix what's wrong. This is just something that you have to experience, I guess.

As for Betty's bad Reiki experience, that is so sad! I love Reiki! It should never, ever hurt. Whoever she saw was *not* doing it right.

Reiki can complement massage, but can be done without ever touching the client. It's a form of energy healing--no massage necessary.

You can get massage without Reiki, and Reiki without massage. Or you can combine the two.

My husband and I are both level 2 Reiki practitioners, and he Reiki's me every night before bed. It's *wonderful* and probably the only way I'm able to keep on going.

I also see a Reiki and shamanic healer every two weeks. Again...amazing.

My massage therapists don't do Reiki.

Anyway, I think of massage as like sex (but not sexual massage!)--you've got to say what you want to get the results you want. And if the massage therapist isn't doing what you ask, make them stop.

You are in charge, you're paying them. What you say goes. Do not hesitate to be very firm in what you want.

The best therapists will listen and work with you to give you exactly what you want and need. (And for those in Seattle, I can give you recommendations for awesome LMTs!)

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love massage too. Deep tissue, to release the stress in my neck and shoulders.

Sometimes afterwards, I do feel a little sore, but that is the only way I can get my tension out.

To help with the detox, drink a lot of water before, but more importantly after!!! Also to help after would be a hot soak, and some epsom salt, perioxide and baking soda. Good detox. You have to drink tons of water!!

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage is very painful to me. I have a lot of sensitive places and they tend to wanna 'get all my knots out' so the whole hour winds up being uncomfortable. But you can ask them do just do a gentle, basic massage and not hurt you! HAHA!

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massage helps me. However, it is important to find the right massage therapist.

Over the years I have had many massages, and no two therapists are alike. They all have a different style and different level of pressure they apply.

Keep trying therapists until you find one who is skilled enough to work intuitively with your body.

As others have said, drink lots of water afterwards. Also, have a small amount of water before hand about a cup. I am told by my massage therapists (but personally don't know) that it helps with energy conductivity. Both of my massage therapists periodically drink water throughout my massage. They said it helps transfer energy and helps them replenish lost energy. I would be interested if others know more about this.

Also, my LLMD told me to take 15 Wobenzyme 30 minutes before massage and another 15 2 hours later. He says it helps with lymphatic drainage.

Unfortunately, just being "trained" or "certified" does not even come close to a skilled intuitive therapist; something that can't be taught. Finding an intuitive therapist is a true gold find.

Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement