LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Picc Line issues again. Inserted too far in my chest. Discomfort shortness of breath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picc Line issues again. Inserted too far in my chest. Discomfort shortness of breath
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im wondering if anyone else has had the same issues with Picc lines as me. I recently had to get my Picc line replaced becuase it clotted off and stopped flushing. Well, now with my new picc im experiencing chest discomfort annd shortness of breath. It seems the Doctor who replaced the Picc put it in too far and its hitting my heart or somthing else and causing this.

The people at Interventional Radialogy looked at the slides and confirmed this. I had my nurse come out and pull it out 3 sonometers to see if that helped. And actually it did help some but im still haveing the same issues.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same sort of problems? Is it dangerous? I have an appt to get it replaced again tommorow.

Just another thing in my life that goes wrong. At this point im ready to just get it pulled and do shots or something.

Thanks for any info.
Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barby   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they put it in right tomorrow. Good luck.

--------------------
I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

Lyme Friends
http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/barbyfirefly

My Lyme Story Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/barbyfirefly

Posts: 160 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi joe [Smile]

Sorry you are still going throough so much crud with your picc. [group hug]

One time my picc was put into my heart.. I had problems breathing.

I had to go in to the radiology department where i had it put in and they pulled it out ENOUGH and did an xray to make sure it was out ENOUGH...

My breathing issues did start to improve immediately but did take a little while to completely resolve because the stupid picc had been in the wrong place awhile...

Since your nurse cant see exactly where your picc is maybe it just wasnt pulled far enough away...or its hitting it when you move....maybe they could just see where it is and put it in a better position.

Also I think my heart had some inflamation (not serious) from the picc being IN it for awhile (like over a month).

I hope if it comes that you have to get the whole thing replaced that you get a different dr!

I really dont understand how they messed up so much they stuck it in my heart because they could see where they was putting what on the monitor.

Good luck tommorrow Joe [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to second what Azure said as well as add something else to think about....

I developed a pericardial effusion while my picc was in and was on IV Rocephin. Same symptoms (chest discomfort/shortness of breath).

Might not be a bad idea to ask your doc about getting an EKG and echocardiogram, just to be on the safe side.

Hope they figure this out for you soon and you're feeling better.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe,

I've heard of this happening in other patients before, sometimes having your nurse pull the line out an inch or two might help. I'd hate for you to have to go through the whole procedure again...

Feel better.

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow I'm so sorry your going through this.

Hope you get it fixed up good!!

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeeze, you poor thing!!!! I hope they fix it right this time!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, so sorry you're having troubles with the PICC. While reading your post my chest tighten in sympathy. I hope it get resolved soon.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THATS TERRIBLE

Did they not have an overhead xray on you all the time it was being fitted?

When mine was fitted (on 2nd one) the consultant radiologist was fitting it and another radiologist had 2 overhead scanning machines so they could see it going in and exactly when it was in situ.

I hope they sort this out right away and you MUST have a xray soon to determine the tip of the PICC is sitting in the distal superior vena cava.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had my last PICC line put in I told the radiologist not to put it too close to my heart because of arrythmias. They complied and put the tip at the end of the subclavian vein.

Make sure you tell them to keep it away from your heart because some hospitals will only place it there even if the ordering doctor tells them not to. CRAZY.

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this too. They had to withdraw it on 3 separate occasions before it stopped.

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everybody for your concern and support. I had my picc replaced again today. The doc made sure to leave it short of my heart this time and all seems to be good. I appreciate all your posts. They mean alot.

Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement