LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can damaged nerves heal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can damaged nerves heal?
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If tingling, numbness, and shooting pains is caused by damaged/dead nerves, how does it get better when the Lyme is cured? Do the nerves regenerate?
Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MayberryNut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MayberryNut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my general physician this exact question. She said that nerves do regenerate by growing back together and "finding" each other. The answer is yes.
Posts: 131 | From MD | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they do regenerate but very slowly.

My LLMD thinks it has more to do with the toxins and bacteria on the nerves causing the problems more than actual damage.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IVIG can help nerves to regenerate in some people, there are 2 Neurologists who use it in Lyme patients with varied success- like anything else, it doesn't work for everyone. [Frown]
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njgirl14
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njgirl14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JKM could you PM with the name of the neuros you know. I am investigating IVIG as a possibility. Is Dr K from CT one?
Posts: 262 | From nj | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Staris
Member # 17648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Staris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JKMMC09 - If you could PM me the names as well I would greatly appreciate it - looking as well.

Thanks.

Posts: 30 | From DC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Neuroprotective - 22503 abstracts

Neuroprotective nutrients - 442 abstracts

Neuroprotective herbs - 35 abstracts

Neuroprotective, fish oil - 90 abstracts

Neuroprotective, mushroom - 9 abstracts

Hericium erinaceus (Lion's mane mushroom) - 25 abstracts

---------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hericium_erinaceus

Hericium erinaceus

======================

www.itmonline.org/arts/neuro.htm

Neuroprotective Herbs and Active Constituents Approaches to Preventing Degenerative Diseases

- by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D.

=====================

In addition to Singleton's book (The Lyme Disease Solution), that gives many measures to help protect nerves, adrenals and the liver from toxins,

This discusses the damage from stress-related cortisol and what can help to prevent that for patients with lyme, Cpn and other chronic stealth infectons:

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

==========================

This details struggles from Cpn infection that went untreated. It is a very helpful book in terms of what can help in preventing - and repairing - damage:

http://tinyurl.com/57pjzp

Death by Deception: Unmasking Heart Failure - by Dick Quinn, Shannon Quinn, Colin Quinn, Al Watson

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperspeck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepperspeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for peripheral neuropathy via nerve conduction and EMG about 6 years ago. I was, at the time, being treated for neurolyme.

I had extreme pain and significant muscle weakness. I was on neurontin for the pain for almost 3 years. I weaned off of the med because it was, IMO a horrible drug.

I continued treatment for lyme. I went through heavy metal detox. I was on a variety of supplements. I started exercising.

Fast forward 7 years and I am not pain free, but significantly better. I believe in the toxin theory that the body needs time to mop up the mess of die off.

My doctor told me it took awhile for the damage to happen and it would take awhile for the nerves to repair. They did..not to normal, but I can walk again.

--------------------
I found my original identity! It has been a bit over 12 years...can't blame me for forgetting my password, right?!!

Member red (Member # 1886)
70 posts

Posts: 164 | From NJ | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Pepperspeck,

I also had an awful experience with neurontin - but I could not take it more than a couple days - although I gave it many different tries and always the same horrible reaction.

I was perplexed as I had been told it was next to gold.

Gotu Kola, an herb, became my gold. It is not a cola and does not "wire" me at all.

It helps improve micro-circulation - and that is essential for nerves to be able to heal.

Here's some more about that:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gotu Kola - 225 abstracts

Centella asiatica - 221 abstracts

===============

http://tinyurl.com/3yr22g

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000 Dec;20(6):680-4.

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study on the effects of Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) on acoustic startle response in healthy subjects.

====================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=art799&search_in=articles

GOTU KOLA -- An Under-Appreciated Herb: Multifaceted Benefits on Microcirculation for Cardiovascular and Cognitive Health -- By Linda Fugate, PhD

The best nutrition in the world will not do anyone any good if it doesn't reach our tissues.

The gatekeeper to tissues is the microcirculatory system, which includes blood vessels smaller than 0.1 mm in diameter. The health of the microcirculatory system is now recognized as critical to the total health of the individual. (1)

Gotu Kola's Effect on the Circulatory System . . .

From Wound Healing to Brain Health . . .

. . .

Conclusion

. . .

Gotu Kola's primary action is enhancement of the health of the circulatory system. Because circulation is critical to the health of the entire body, Gotu Kola offers benefits in a variety of conditions.

The antioxidant and collagen supportive functions of Gotu Kola are particularly important in enhancing healing of damaged tissues.

- Full article - and citations - at link above.

=========================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gotu-kola-leaf-centella-asiatica.html

GOTU KOLA LEAF (Centella asiatica,)

WHAT IT DOES:

Gotu Kola is bitter and astringent in taste and cooling in action.

It is a brain and memory tonic, and an anti-poison, and very useful for wound and skin healing.

. . .

The primary effects of gotu kola include both wound healing and improvement of mental clarity and emotional balance. . . .

Research Highlights

* Western scientists have focused on the herb's wound and skin healing effects.

Numerous studies from around the world have demonstrated its efficacy in treating keloids, leg ulcers, phlebitis, slow-healing wounds, leprosy, surgical lesions, cellulitis, burns, dermatitis, venous disorders, and even cirrhosis of the liver (Maquart et al., 1999; Shukla et al., 1999; Hausen, 1993; Cesarone et al., 1992).

These studies illustrate the plant's numerous stimulating effects on the healing processes of the skin and connective tissue.

. . . .

- Full chapter at link above.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperspeck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepperspeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information Keebler. I am going to look into this. I still have cycles of pain and weakness and welcome new ideas to support the nerves and circulation.

Neurontin was a horrible drug (for me) despite its pain relieving benefit. I would never do it again.

Thanks again for the info. Off to read up on it.

--------------------
I found my original identity! It has been a bit over 12 years...can't blame me for forgetting my password, right?!!

Member red (Member # 1886)
70 posts

Posts: 164 | From NJ | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerves can and do heal as well as regenerate.

Not so with brain cells though.

Guess I am in trouble. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Who says brain cells cannot heal? Are there some links to articles about that?

I know it might depend on the trauma/damage, etc. but I'm sure I've read of the brain healing in some cases.

A decade ago they declared nerves unable to regenerate and have since discovered that they can do so - even if slowly.

I think, with the right support, especially with improved circulation and key nutrients, we might be surprised. I never give up hope.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement