LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone gotten to the bottom of swallowing problems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone gotten to the bottom of swallowing problems?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of you folks with swallowing problems found out the cause?

Any particular infection that makes one more prone to swallowing difficulties?

I do not choke or aspirate. I just cannot get the food moving down after a few bites. I had a Barium Swallow study and it was normal.

The doctor said that it would not detect a "weak" swallow, which I suspect is happening to me. I am starting to lose more weight. Eating takes forever.

It feels like a blob is in my trachea after a feww swallows.

Anyone with suggestions, experiences?

Thank you,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the type of meal make any difference? I've experienced similar sensations, but they turned out to be heartburn-related.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Staris
Member # 17648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Staris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have neuro lyme, trouble swallowing can be associated with dysautonomia - a disease or malfunction of the autonomic nervous system. One of the symptoms of dysautonomia is problems swallowing. If lyme is attacking or disrupting the part of your brain that controls the autonomic nervous system - this is one of the more common symptoms.

I would guess that lyme could attack your esophagus as well but I would say it probably more of a central problem. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 30 | From DC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble swallowing when I first got sick-taking little sips of water with small bites of food to sort of "push" the food down. Small, more frequent meals are better
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does sound like you may have a "weak" swallow, and possibly trouble initiating the swallow reflex.

Sometimes a technique called "a prep set" can help initiate the swallow - say to your self 1,2,3 then swallow. When I used to work in the field, we would sometimes use lemon water ice to trigger the swallow reflex (cold and sour is stimulating)

Also, there are pockets in the throat that food can get stuck in. You might want to try clearing your throat hard and swallowing again a few times to see if the sensation clears

sorry you are going through this

good luck

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The swallowing problem is neurological. Lyme is the culprit.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dysphagia or swallowing problems can be attributed to

A variety of problems. I believe Lyme to be the major culprit in mine.

There are four stages of swallowing.

Oral Prep- When you chew your food and make a ball(bolus) out of it.

Oral Phase- When you move the bolus from the front of your mouth to the back.

Pharyngeal phase- Starts with the trigger of the swallow reflex.

This is located right in front of your tonsils.

It ends just past the level of your vocal folds.

Esophogeal phase - Movement of the food down the esophogus to your stomach.

Is it the food is getting stuck in your throat sensation?

Or inability to move it back in your mouth? Form a ball with it?

Is it chewing that is time consuming and tiring?

Diet modifications may help.

Such as going to softer foods like mashed sweet potatoes.

Or adding gravy to most meats to make them easier to form a ball with.

If the sensation is one of food sticking in the throat,

Then a Modified Barium Swallow Study may not show any esophogeal problems.

The radiologist would have to make the extra effort

To follow the food down past the level of the vocal folds.

Too many times they refused to do it for me.

If this is an issue an esophogram may help diagnose an issue.

Small bites, alternating liquids with food, and adding some

Extra protein to your diet such as a health shake may help with the weight.

My swallowing issues occasionally still crop up.

Good thing is that I don't panic.

I use the tools and strategies I've taught to countless others

With swallowing issues and get through them.

Please PM me if you think any strategies that I know of may help you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is your thyroid gland? Sometimes an enlarged thyroid can cause swallowing problems.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for the experiences, thoughts and suggestions.

I have about 3 good swallows and then some difficulty. It seems that it is when the food is just going down the back of my throat. It seems too dry and nothing seems to move. That is the best that I am able to describe it.

I do not hav troble chewing my food, or making the ball to swallow.

1,2,3, go!

Feelfit

Geneal, if you have any helpful suggestions other than drinking water to wash it down, I would appreciate it.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geneal-what field did you work in to know this? what kind of doc or therapist should one go to to get this checked out? thanks

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nerologist says that to swallow it perfect timing and lyme is a complicated bacteria that for many messes with nero system. once it messes with the nero symtoms it can throw anything off. Swallowing is very easy to swallow i guess.. he didnt tell me how to fix

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have severe problems with swallowing very often. It was interesting to run accross this today as I can't swallow any food and pills are very hard to swallow today. But I'm in my week 4 of new IV treatment, so everything is flaring up.

The ONLY thing I can do is drink Ensure's. Still have to swallow, but it's nothing like trying to get the food down! Then if it's not too bad, I eat very 'runny' oatmeal or Cream of Wheat; something like that.

Somebody already said this and they're absolutly right!!!!! A Baruim Swallow would not detect something like this!! There is a test where they x-ray you while swallowing water...then a thicker liguid....again w/soft food....them reg. food; I'm sorry as I can't remember the name of the test!!! BUT---all it will do is 'confirm' that you have trouble swallowing and which phase is the culprit. So if you have to pay for it---just my opion----I wouldn't waste the money.

Dysautonamia, has someone else mentioned can definatly cause it. Mine is severe, so my LLMD put me on Flonef, it's a corticosteroid, and is has helped a lot with B/P, heart rate, etc....; all a part of it.

Lastly, are your muscles very weak?????? Everything you do; ie; breathing/ take your diaphram musle to make you inhale and exhale, and SWALLOWING takes several muscles!!! So, when you are very weak, it call affect any muscle in your body, including swallowing!!!

Someone mentioned you Thyroid; if you feel a fullness in your throat, then an Ultrasound is a good ideal. But you probably already know that Lyme causes that too.

I wish you well, I know it's a little scary and frusterating. Don't eat solid foods when you feel like this!!!! Stick to the liquids, Ensures and if you can---oatmeal, etc....

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If you are drinking Ensure for vitamins and nutrients, you may find this to work very well for you:

http://www.needs.com/product/BioGenesis_Bio_Cleanse_Functional_Food_21/?r=GB0109

BioGenesis

Bio-Cleanse Functional Food

Nutritional support to meet an individual's needs during liver clearing, specifically for individuals who may have special challenges related to liver pathway clearing.

You can see ingredients on their fact sheets at the link

--

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a Speech Pathologist. Swallowing problems are part of my expertise.

Lucky for me. I've often used strategies I know of to get food down.

Try the lemon ice (comes sugar free now) in between each bite/sip.

Cold and sour can elicit a quicker swallow reflex.

I used to do stimulation with a dental mirror dipped in iced lemon juice

To gently stroke the anterior faucial arches.

These are the little flaps of skin that sit right in front of your tonsils.

Really need a Speech Therapist to instruct you on this though.

A chin tuck can often help with the swallow as well.

Take a bite of food, tuck your chin into your chest and then swallow.

I would try the lemon ice first.

The swallow control center is located in the brain stem.

However, there are many muscles involved in the process of swallowing.

When I was unable to swallow food down I didn't keep trying.

It was harder the more tired I was.

I would switch what I was eating.

Yes I would sometimes cheat on my diet just to eat.

Protein shakes may be a good supplement at meal time or in between.

Water is often the hardest to swallow.

It can run over the base of the tongue and to the level of your vocal folds

Prior to a swallow relfex being initiated.

A Modified Barium swallow study is just a picture in time.

I challenged my patients.

One or two bites wasn't usually good enough for me.

I never used straight barium. Not necessary.

I used crackers, hamburgers, beans, liquids.

I requested bite after bite. Swallow after swallow.

I tried to make my patients aspirate.

If you are not coughing and choking on the food,

A Bedside Swallow Examination may be helpful to you as well.

Does not involve x-ray. Just a Speech Therapist who can watch you eat/drink.

They just are only so accurate as only x-ray can see

What happens to food/liquid after it leaves the mouth.

I would ask my doc for an ST consult for swallowing.

There are many exercises that need to be shown.

Keep me posted please.

If you are coughing/choking on your food or drink

Please get the order asap.

Aspiration pneumonia is just as bad as any other kind.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this problem but go for long periods when I'm ok.

It feels so painful I thought it was a heart attack the first time.

Also feels like I can't breathe, but I've learned that I can so I don't panic now.

An upper endoscopy showed my schatzki ring was ok which is common for causing the problem. They stretched it anyway.

My swallowing study was ok too.

Potatoes and buckwheat pancakes seem to trigger it. Once, the first mouthful of the pancakes made my mouth feel itchy.

I've wondered if it's lyme related.

Doesn't the vagus nerve have something to do with this.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, wondering if anyone with this problem also has a hoarse voice?

I've been hoarse for months and wondering if I should get it checked out and wondering if it's related to the swallowing issue.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel fit~
A friend of mine had this and the problem was enterovirus. She is much better now with oxymatrine.

See:http://phoenix-cfs.org/IntChia1.html

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Feelfit,

I am fixin to PM as soon as I'm done posting. I'm trying to stay awake as I am waiting for the N.P. to call me back!

KEEBLER******, thank you for posting that link!!!! I know, at least for me, that I really need something with more and better quility of vitimins and Protien. I am already on Rx strenth L-Carnatine 333mg; 3 tab. twice daily aboth with tons of other supplements!!
So I will definitly go to this site---Thank you!

GENEAL***********, I just knew you were in the medical field! Do you work out of a hospital of clinic?? I only ask because your knowledge goes way beyond that of a Speech Path,; I know that your title requires a lot of College and learning about other systoms, but I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH YOU KNOWLEGDE!!! Thank you for being here and sharing it with us!!!

I do have one question if you don't mind, well actually 2!??? First just curious, ( BTW, I will try this asap!), but you mentioned that the cold and sour stimilates the swallowing reflex. Is this because it causes you to produce more salyvia, therfore stimulating it???????

Also---Since I have been on treatment, my swallowing issues are much more severe as expected I guess. However----I do choke and will cough and couch, strangle and will often go into a full esophogeal spasm??????? It is mostly a cough like I've never experienced; it feels like it's coming all the way from my toes!!! Last night was the most severe spasm I've ever had and that was with no food or drink.

I was trying to talk on phone which is next immpossible, too short of breath. Anyway, I started feel my throat, esophogus closing and I couldn't speak at all. Now of course it was more like a spasm, but very severe in that I could barly get a small amt. of air through my nose.

I start that severe cough over and over to the point where it started irritating my gag reflex and then I started gagging!!

Interesting that you mention water! Many times when I'm having trouble swallowing and just trying to swallow my meds., I use water or soda and it often stays in my mouth to the point that it will come back out from the corners of my mouth. ----Sorry, but What do you think???? Going to the Dr. is very hard for me!

Thank you so much for using your knowledge to help others!!!!

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this too, particularly when herxing. Sometimes food would get stuck and I would choke it up, or -- warning grossness ahead -- have to stick my fingers in my throat and pull it out or push it down.

I have a much lesser sensation of this occasionally, but mostly it seems to have passed.

It is very scary.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement