LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Enamel coming off of my teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enamel coming off of my teeth
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my last dentist appointment I found out that the enamel is coming off of my teeth because I suffer from dry mouth all the time.

What can we do to protect our teeth? I use Biotene products but they must not be enough to protect my teeth.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skigal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of abx are you on? If you're on the cycline meds, they will cause this.

You could try oil pulling, I'm getting ready to try this.

Posts: 269 | From VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast??

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A topical fluoride rinse will help strenghthen enamel. Stronger enamel is more resistant to decay.

Just rinse and spit, you're not ingesting it. A generic brand is just as good as the name brand. Same thing.

Thin enamel is more prone to decay. Thin enamel is also prone to sensitivity (to cold, etc.)

Mouth breathers/dry mouth caused by meds will increase susceptibility to decay.

Tooth decay is a bacterial infection. That's the last thing you need- another bacterial infection to deal with.

Of course, you should be brushing with a soft toothbrush so as to minimize the abrasion of enemel.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced the same problem, along with cracked teeth. In addition to dry mouth, there's another possibility.

What's your vitamin 1,25D level? It's high in most lymies, and contributes to excess bone turnover, leading to weak bones and teeth. For me the problem stopped quickly after I avoided vitamin D intake and my 1,25D level came down.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carly, thanks for sharing your dental hygienist experience; we appreciate it. [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gum line decay is very prevalent in xerostomia
(dry mouth).
there is nothing you can do to stop the xerostomia, it may decrease with treatment.
you can only prevent.
as carly said oral flouride rinse or ebven better
gel used 3 times a day and exporated.
biotene i think used to make a gum if not any xylitol gum stimulates the parotid gland and submandibular glands to produce an increase in saliva.
also sugar free lemon drops may also stimulate some saliva flow.

decrease sugars and imbeded sugars to zero.
done feed the bugs that cause decay.
keep oral yeast under control by using nystatin oral rinse when needed.
scrub tongue and scape every time you brush.
a listerine antiseptic after all this will
keep the area sterile for a little time.

docdave.

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fluoride is a toxin. Fluoride fries your pineal gland. It is given to people in countries where the rulers want to keep the people docile - keep quiet - do what I say! Are you really recommending this today to already ill people? Fluoridated toothpaste is a toxic drug! And there is no better place for the body to absorb a toxin than through the mucosa in the mouth.

Please do some research.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that fluoride is not a good option. Look at M-Paste. I use that regularly.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fluoride is toxic. Use xylitol and MI Paste.
Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth were falling apart,suffered holes right thru them. When I started taking Citrical calcium and magnessium,it pretty darn close to stopped.

My dentist said that cant be right,,but it was for ME!!!

Lymies need extra of those anyway,so if you dont take them ,,,start!!.

Hi 'sick',,,,how ya been??IB-just don-

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you buy MI Paste?
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fatigued15:
Where do you buy MI Paste?

We buy MI paste from our dentist or from ebay. Our dentist charges us $15 a tube and it comes in 5 flavors. Jordan had trays made and he puts the MI paste in the trays and wears them for 30+ minutes before bed. Jordan had really sensitive teeth and MI paste has helped a lot.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth do not have cavities. The enamal is just coming off of them. There is no decay where it comjes off.
My dentist has me brush with a toothpaste that he gives me. It has lots of floride and you do not rinse it off after you brush with it.
What is the MI paste?
Hi Don I am doing ok.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jewel
Member # 18878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jewel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a natural product called Ecodent Daily Care Toothpowder instead of toothpaste that I got at the health food store. It's suppose to help harden enamel without Fluoride.
Posts: 17 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi 'sick' .. good to see you again! sorry to hear about the problems with the teeth. There are some really good ideas here.

You may also want to find out it you have Sjogren's Syndrome, which causes dry mouth and dry eyes, among other problems.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Info on MI Paste:

www.mi-paste.com/about.html

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

The information on the mi-paste said to brush with toothpaste that contains fluoride. Then use the mi-paste.
I had no idea that fluoride was not good for you.
Do you guys suggest not using the fluoride at all?
My dentist beleives in fluoride so much that he gives everyone a fluoride treatment when they are in for their checkup even if their insurance does not pay for it. He don't charge you for them if your insurance don't pay for it.
sick

sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Hey, I forgot to thank all of you for the wonderful information you provided. I am going to get some mi-paste right away.

sick

pamyla
Member # 8575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dentist has recommended Pronamel toothpaste. It is supposed to help with protecting enamel. It's costs $4-5 at Walmart.
http://www.pronamel.co.uk/en/about.aspx

Posts: 60 | From Northern Va | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the best dentist imaginable and trust her.

She's extremely competent, nonjudgmental, sees her patients holistically, discusses any and all options for whatever teeth-disaster I present her, has common-sense up the yin-yang, and charges fully 50% below the going rate for every procedure.

Her take on fluoride? Just do it. She's practiced long enough to see a generational difference --for drastically better-- since folks routinely use fluoride.

I'm aware of all the scary stuff floating around out there about fluoride-- read tons of it years ago when I was trying to decide what kind of toothpaste my infant son should use.

We opted for the fluoride version and have no regrets.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement