LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » In vitro activity of tigecycline against Bb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In vitro activity of tigecycline against Bb
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009 Jan 31

In vitro activity of tigecycline against multiple strains of Borrelia burgdorferi.

Yang X, Nguyen A, Qiu D, Luft BJ.
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA.

Objectives To compare the antimicrobial activity of tigecycline and doxycycline against multiple isolates of Borrelia burgdorferi.

Methods In vitro antimicrobial assays were carried out using a microdilution assay. The time needed to inhibit, immobilize and kill the B31 strain of B. burgdorferi was determined.

The MIC, MBC and concentration needed to immobilize the organism were determined for each antimicrobial for various strains of B. burgdorferi.

Results Tigecycline inhibited the growth of and killed the organism more rapidly than doxycycline. Tigecycline was able to kill B. burgdorferi within 24 h at clinically achievable concentrations (<1 mg/L).

In contrast, doxycycline was bacteriostatic and required 48-72 h to achieve its maximal inhibitory effect. The anti-Borrelia activity of the antibiotics was tested against 20 different isolates from three species.

Tigecycline was 16- to 1000-fold more active than doxycycline at immobilizing Borrelia for the 20 isolates tested.

Conclusions We demonstrate that the in vitro activity of tigecycline against B. burgdorferi is superior to that of doxycycline. Tigecycline acted more rapidly and was bactericidal, whereas doxycycline was bacteriostatic and required a more prolonged co-incubation to achieve its maximal inhibitory effect.

PMID: 19182236 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes-just read about this in cure unknown...there are a couple other positive things on the horizon too

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hollering about the doxy thing for years...it's bacteriostatic...In the case of many of us it's about as effective an antimicrobial as aspirin.

Maybe tigecycline will be the panacea.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is, can anyone tolerate it? Apparently it makes you feel really sick!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie, supposedly the crossover point for Doxycycline is 400 mg. at which point it becomes bacteriacidal (kills organisms) and not bacteriostatic (inhibits reproduction [ha-ha] but does not kill organisms). I can not reference specific drug studies on this, only the presentations of other speakers at Lyme conferences, to the best of my recollection.

Perhaps anyone who has experienced this dosage could respond. I do not know anyone and am interested as you may be.

Meanwhile, big hopes for Tigecycline!

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, CD57! I haven't heard of anyone that can stomach it, (literally) for very long.

If someone has found a med or supplement that helps to keep the stomach pain at bay, I would love to hear about it. So far I have heard that Zofran, Zantac and Phenergan do not help.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1686 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TazG
Member # 18747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TazG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 10 doses of tigecycline-it was fine at 1X's day, but when I went to 2 doses a day, thought I was going to die. severe stomach and esshopagas pain and my skin felt like it was on fire. However, after only 2 doses i felt almost well. I think it works, if you can tolerate it.
I have switched to Rocephin.

Posts: 30 | From pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One excellent MD gave a Lyme patient with vomitting problems a prescription for CARAFATE SUSPENSION.

The patient had such a problem with vomitting that staying on medication was a problem.

The Carafate Suspension worked miracles - and the patient was able to stay in treatment and make improvement.

Months to years later the patient no longer required the Carafate.

Those who suffer from nauseau due to Lyme and other tickborne diseases or from vomitting due to medication sensitivity and other related gastric problems might want to ask their physician about this since, of course, I am not a doctor.

It could be something that would help.

I do not know whether it would help with Tigecycline, this is unknown ground but it helped this person with Doxycycline sensitivity.

OTM

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used carafete in the beginning with my ibuprofen

doxy never bothered me

has anyone else tried tigecycline?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement