LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why does Septra / Bactrim not treat Lyme? I had a horrible herx with it.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does Septra / Bactrim not treat Lyme? I had a horrible herx with it.....
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering why many people say bactrim does not treat lyme?
If not; why?

It has great penetration to the brain, joints etc.

I had a TERRIBLE herx from it.

OK it might be babs herx, but it reallt felt a lot like a lyme herx.

I just don't get it, I would lika to know if someone could tell why it is not considered a good lyme drug.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you herxed on bactrim then you probably have Bartonella. For me Bart herxes involve high anxiety, all over body pain and my feet hurt even more.

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea Swedish lyme. I have heard that Bactrim works for Bartonella and even Babesia.

I was on Bactrim for over eight months.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It DOES work for lyme....

(co trimoxazole is Bactrim, Roxithromycin is a macrolide similar to Biaxin which is often substituted)

Title:
Oral treatment of late Lyme borreliosis with a combination of roxithromycin and co-trimoxazole--a pilot study on 18 patients.
Authors:
Gasser R, Reisinger E, Sedaj B, Horvarth R, Seinost G, Keplinger A, Wendelin I, Klein W
Source:
Acta Med Austriaca 1996;23(3):99-101
Organization:
Department of Internal Medicine, University Graz.

Abstract:
In this pilot trial, 18 patients participated in an investigation in which the combined therapy of co-trimoxazole and roxithromycin in late Lyme borreliosis was tested. The study has been performed as a result of earlier case reports in "The Lancet" where this combination has been used successfully in order to thwart late Lyme disease. The authors show that 76% of the patients recovered completely. In 2 patients, symptoms could be resolved with i.v. penicillin and 2 did not respond to any antibiotic therapy. These results show that oral therapy of co-trimoxazole and roxithromycin in combination provides similar results as i.v. antibiotics in earlier studies.

Keywords:
Administration, Oral, Antibiotics, Combined, ADVERSE EFFECTS, TERAPEUTIC USE, Dose-Response Relationship, Drug, Drug Administration Schedule, Human, Lyme Disease, DIAGNOSIS, DRUG THERAPY, Pilot Projects, Roxithromycin, ADVERSE EFFECTS, THERAPEUTIC USE, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole Combination, ADVERSE EFFECTS, THERAPEUTIC USE

Language: Eng

Unique ID: 96391310

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS charlie!
This is what I suspected!
Cause the herx was as tuff as with IV Primaxin, in not worse, and brain penetration is excellent!

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told by a number of physicians, LLMD's included, that Bactrim does not kill borrelia burgdorferi, but rather it "can" kill various co-infections.

I'm not certain of the facts. One study is better than none, but we need more research.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would Bactrim be killing for me if my skin gets hot to the touch within 5 hours of taking Bactrim, and I feel incredibly sick like a little kid with the flu? There have also been other herx symptoms present like headaches that worsen when going from laying or sitting to standing position, and irritability/crying (mild though compared to other symptoms).

Is that bart or lyme?

Doesn't seem like the herx was babesia for me. For how severe my reaction was, if it was babesia there would have been chills and sweating involved, I would imagine.

If it isn't bart or lyme, then I must have some sort of weird, random bacteria that responds to Bactrim. Bleck! Get it out of me!!!!

And I should add, I've been on a lot of different abx, including rifampin, zithromax, amoxicillin, biaxin, minocycline, Cipro, IV doxy and IV rocephin, (also have done malarone and mepron), and never had a herx even close to this Bactrim herx. So whatever it was, it survived all that. Yikes!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the strongest reaction to Bactrim. I agree with the above: I don't know which bug, but it's killing something and I'm glad.

I'm also on mino and zithro, about 7 weeks into my treatment.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT hits it somewhat.

I went on vet. drugs instead due to my studies in my scope and the realization that I was too far gone for abx...long story but finally making lots of progress. if this totally pans out I promise I will post the results and what I used.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

I kills bart mainly...trust me...let me ask...headaches...thats a major bart herx sign...did the bactrim cause that? If so...thats pointing directly at bart target.
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

No headeches what so ever for me.....
just complete BRAINFOG, myoclonic jerking herxing, twitching and paresthesia stuff 100 times worse than normal,
complete fatigue,

I agree with Hoosier51, I have been on most ABX many IVs
(minocycline, tetra, doxy IV, cefotaxim IV, ceftriaxon IV, primaxin IV, metronidazol IV, clindamycin IV, biaxin IV, Zithromax IV.)

The closest herx to this one on bactrim is Impienem and Clindamycin herxes!

--->> babesia / borrelia / bartonella / TOXOPLASMOSIS??!

stormton
Member # 14412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stormton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim works mildly for babesia and rather strongly for traditional bartonella. Hensalae etc.

That study posted about is much longer than what is printed. It wasn't the bactrim that was causing the lyme relief. It was the roxithromycin, however when roxithromycin was combined. The MIC values of roxithromycin were higher. So basically, the bactrim made the roxithromycin more potent with higher killing potential. Roxithromycin by itself was not as effective as the combo of the two.

Email me if you want. [email protected]

I still have not figured out how to get email updates so i won't be able to know when someone replies.

Posts: 25 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Will Bactrim make Azithromycin more potent as well?
Since it is in the same family as Roxithromycin?

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I felt virtually nothing from Bactrim. The herx it produced was nothing compared to what I've experienced from other abx.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...this is kind of an interesting subject to ponder...it appears we are all very different in our response to various abx. Maybe it has to do with where the infection goes, uti or brain or joints, ect.

The two lymies in this household (no doubt about that since one had an expanding bullseye rash and the other an ELISA of +4.89!!) responded not at all...I mean NONE to doxy and got dramatically better using bactrim.

Doctors opinions about what works, including LLMDs, are just that; opinions.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just started Bactrim and it has been doing the most for me compared to other meds so far (including IV Rocephin).

I tend to not be a "herxer" on meds (I experience some discomfort, but mainly overwhelming fatigue), but I am having regular herxes on Bactrim.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So for those of us that respond to Bactrim....I wonder what it is that it's hitting: Lyme, bartonella, or some other mystery bacteria that is living symbiotically with the Lyme?
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

I had to stop mine for about two weeks to do some testing, but I will be restarting it on Wednesday, so be prepared to hear me start to complain about it!!!!! [Smile]
Borman
Unregistered

Hm.. All talking about thought herx....but nobody know for sure as i understand...

I had clear herx on Azithromycin(NO headaches and NO bulleyes - just flu-like condition with rise of temperature to 37,5(Celc) in 30 min after each pill + enlargement\swelling of veins +heat feeling all over the body).
===========================

Does anybody achive a cure or\and almost cure with bactrim?

If yes, what dosage regime do you used and for what terms?

thx.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it helps with bart.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Borman
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I've heard it helps with bart.

Almost 90% can't understand what is going on with them on that or another abx. So without clinical monitoring(at least WBA each 5 days) or end abs. positive result i can't trust on word only.

I mean that there are wrong interpretation in many cases and feelings are often cheating people.
-----------
If abx works -there are clear impovement must be seen in 2 weeks and very strong in 1 month (sure if dosage regimen is adequate)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement