LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rage..irritability...and anger!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rage..irritability...and anger!
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it EVER go away? [confused]

I am not talking about being angry or enraged over having Lyme~ or how hard it is to endure all we Lymies have to go through.

I AM talking about Lyme rage: the up and down rage and anger that keeps popping up out of nowhere, just like any other Lyme sx.

The extreme irritability and anger at every little thing type of Lyme rage, that keeps everyone walking on eggshells..the type that (what I'm told) makes you want to put your fist through a window.. the smallest things set it off, and it's hard to move out of!

Will it ever get better with treatment? Has anyone ever really experienced this? I'm not looking for anyone to say the old "it'll get better with treatment" unless they really have witnessed or experienced it. (sorry to be so picky but I am desperate for hope on this one)

It is VERY trying on a marriage and hard to be on the other end of the anger, especially if you are sick and trying to heal yourself, as well as heal your kids from this disease.

I would love to hear any encouragement of real stories of "it" ending or getting better...Anyone? [confused]

Posts: 232 | From MN | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie68
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through a period where everything set me off, and it was really difficult to control. I hated it just as you do.

I still get irritable, but don't get the anger. I feel it's the result of treatment over time and consciously working to control it.

So it can go away. And my wife's much happier for it [Smile]

Posts: 51 | From Reno, NV | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you treated Bartonella??

Yes, I had horrible mood swings before treating Bart. There were times that my mouth and actions were so out of control that I barely recognized myself.

These outbursts damaged many of my personal relationships. I knew it was a product of sickness but when I tried to explain this to others they just didn't understand.

I've been on Zithromax 600 mg for many months now and I'm back to my old self - very laid back and much more happy-go-lucky.

Yes, it will go away but you HAVE to treat Bartonella. The herxes from treating Bart are horrendous, just to warn you.

If you think you're moody now, wait until you start Bart treatment. Yikes. Well worth it though!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why mine got better, as I wasn't diagnosed for over a decade after getting sick. But my rage did stop after being sick for 1-2 years. I don't remember a lot from that time.

I was a teen, had always been a really good kid, never caused trouble. 6 months after getting diagnosed with Mono, I started having rage attacks. Where I would be sitting with my family at the dinner table and scream and get up and take a walk down the road.

Yes I could have put my fist through a window. I almost bit a table once I was so mad! It sounds funny now and I can hardly believe it, but it was awful! My mom said it as you do, that they had to walk on eggshells around me.

This really pushed me away from my mom as she would get angry at my anger (not knowing I had Lyme, she had no idea what was wrong with me), and we stopped being close for years, I thought she hated me and she apparently thought I hated her.

The joy of Lyme.

Hang in there,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My rage has gotten much better, ask my hubby.

I would scream, yell, throw stuff over the smallest of issues. I was really an unhappy person and I just thought it was my personality.

I can't tell you exactly what helped but it took a good 6 months of treatment to see a difference. It left slowly.

Then when I started Rifampin at about my 10 month mark, my hubby said I'm just sweet and happy most of the time.

Also finding a new church with lots of love, prayer and encouragement from people was a huge thing for our family.

And I have 3 kids under the age of nine and have a few lyme symptoms as well.

Oh and I do notice I get irritable if I eat too many carbs. I'm much even tempered if I stay away from that stuff.

Hugs

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

I threw a TV once. Kicked my foot through drywall, spun in temper tantrum circles, pulled my hair, you name it. It was like a "switch" would go off, one moment I would be happy and conversing, the next raging.

No psych meds helped.

But, the rage went away on it's own as quick as it came....out of the blue.

I'm a real mellow woman now....you would think that I was describing the actions of a guy on roids above, but it was just little ole me....

So chances are, your husbands rage will go away too.

Best to you,
Felfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, this does help hearing everyone's stories...

I forgot to ask: what helped the most? AND how long did you stay on these meds?

feelfit: were you on abx? which ones?

thanks again!

Posts: 232 | From MN | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

Also, I forget to add, he has treated for Bart..

all meds were:

doxy- 6 weeks
omnicef- 2 months
zithromax- 2 months
flagyl- 1 month
rifed- 2 months
now on- clindamyacin/quinine with rotation biaxin/plaquenil

but HOW LONG do you think you have to be on Zith. or rifampin for ex. for it to work???

Thanks again!!!

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura,

I was on IV Rocephin for about three weeks when my irritability,rage and eggshell personality went away and I went mellow.

IV rocephin was the first antibiotic treatment that I received.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

feelfit,
Were you ever on doxy, zith, or rifampin? and if so , did you ever have emotional type herxes?

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it took at least 2 months after beginning treatment on Zith, septra, plaqunil and malarone to notice a small change.

Tindimax made me worse the entire 4 months on the stuff.

Finally switched to Doxy,Rifampin,plaq, pulsing Zith and hubby noticed the biggest difference in me.
and it's still holding. I noticed a differance right away.

Just gotta find something for the cognitive dysfunction [Frown]

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My rage and anger had been out of control at times, partly from the infection, and partly from the anger over having this and that many doctors do not, nor want to understand what is going on! Man, that ****es me off. We haven't treated bartonella yet.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

So what do you think is the best for Bart?
Zith, rifampin, Biaxin?

And how long????

Thanks again!

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

For me... Rifampin/Doxy/Paqunil Combo.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement