LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » C4a level over 51,000

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C4a level over 51,000
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested negative or within normal range on so many things.

My C4a was over 51,000. Normal is about 2800.

This, and a positive test for erlichia are the only objective evidence of infection.

I have a clinical diagnosis of lyme, babs, and possibly bart.

I am probably placing too much importance on this test result, but I'm trying to figure out how sick I am or how long I've been sick.

What are your thoughts, please?

Thank you.

[ 02-06-2009, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: carly ]

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's pretend.

I like this game.

There is a great big dump truck filled to the top with yellow grapefruits.

Also in it, is a handful of pineapple tidbits scattered throughout.

Now.. the Prince (the dump truck driver) comes over to the dump truck and says...

"I've got to find the pineapple!"

Before he can find the pineapple he will have to get some of the grapefruit out of there or he won't be able to see it.

So he calls the Mayor of the City (Bruce Springstein) and has him come over to help get the grapefruit out of his way.

(Are you still reading this? If so, it shows how desperate you are to have to listen to ME- ha!)

Anyhow.. they start tossing some of the grapefruit out of the dump truck... and as the number of grapefruit gets smaller...

RIGHT!

They start finding the pineapple tidbits! My, my, you are a smart one!

Ok.

Now.. if your body is the dump truck... and the grapefruits are the Ehrlichia ...

Then the Lyme, Babs and Bart are the pinapple tid-bits.

You may have to lessen the load of Ehrlichia before you can find the other organisms.

May I suggest repeated testing (the Mayor can help) after you've addressed some of these infections.

My bet is you'll start seeing evidence of them later down the road.

As for the C4a test....

It's telling you that your dump truck is full of fruit salad!

And they all lived happily ever after.

Hope that helps!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or did you want the scientific explanation?

If so, it's gonna cost you, because I'd have to wrack my brain when I am too tired to think!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, I like THAT explanation! [Big Grin]

You must be a teacher.

I am curious, though.

I haven't seen a c4a level that high.

(I never heard of it before today, but I've looked into it.)

I wonder if that indicates anything about duration of infection. Has my dump truck been filling up with fruit for more years than I thought?

OR

If there is a possibility that the infection got worse with improper treatment (short term oral & IV abx) and this made that dump truck get so full?

OR

I won't ever find out, the number will just go down with proper treatment.

[confused]

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Me tinks you have a bunch of HEAVY juicy grapefruits in there.

One month with that many infections is a lot. A few months and you are pretty loaded down.

A year or more... well if you were walking down the highway.... you'd probably be made to pull over in the truck weighing station even if you didn't have the truck with you!

I know it is hard to not know the answers.. but I don't know your symptoms or for how long you've been sick, so it is hard to comment.

And even if I did know.. I'm not sure I could make a really educated guess.

But if I were you.. I wouldn't hesitate getting your oil checked every time you pass by an old home filler-up a keep on a trucking cafe.

If you do... the numbers will come more into balance.

Some folks watch their numbers fall as treatment is continued.

But then I always wondered..

Don't they, like me, have anything better to do on a Friday night?

[lol]

The numbers being that high are a concern. But many of us also have VERY high numbers on that test.

I figured when I saw my numbers I'd drop dead immediately because I must be REALLY sick.

But I am still here, on the side of the road, trying to sell a glass of grapefruit juice to anyone that passes by.

Sales aren't going so well.. so I thought I'd pack up that juice and go dump it in Wormser's britches.

That would accomplish two things.

I'd probably be remembered...

And ..

I'd have something to do on a Friday night.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

PS...

I wasn't a teacher.

I'm just nuts.

But thanks for assuming the better of the two choices.

You're so sweet!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Oh, Tincup. You make me laugh!

Is it Friday night? I hadn't noticed.

Thank you so much for your humor and for helping to ease my troubled mind.

I just want someting to tell me where and when this started, because I can only guess.

I know it's not realistic, though.

Thanks!!

Carly

asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold issues?
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To stay in line with tincup . . . your dump truck has fat grapefruit in it.

C4 is a indication of inflammation (infection, disease processes can cause inflammation)

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

elle said.. "your dump truck has fat grapefruit in it."

[lol]

So who needs the IDSA when we have it all figured out?

We should write our OWN guidelines!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the abstract for an article on this subject. When I first read it, I thought it didn't fit my picture because I have neurolyme and "high" C4a. But since then people have been posting about incredibly high C4a numbers, so maybe my idea of high was not high enough, and they are correct. Wish we could read the full article to see how they deal with people having both arthritic and neuro symptoms.

-----------------------------------------

Scand J Immunol. 2009 Jan;69(1):64-9.

Complement split products c3a and c4a in chronic lyme disease.
Stricker RB, Savely VR, Motanya NC, Giclas PC.

International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society, Bethesda, MD, USA.

Complement split products C3a and C4a are reportedly elevated in patients with acute Lyme disease. We have now examined these immunologic markers in patients with chronic Lyme disease compared to appropriate disease controls. The study population consisted of 29 healthy controls, 445 patients with chronic Lyme disease, 11 patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and six patients with AIDS. The Lyme disease patients were divided according to predominant musculoskeletal symptoms (324 patients) or predominant neurologic symptoms (121 patients). C3a and C4a levels were measured by radioimmunoassay. All patients with chronic Lyme disease and AIDS had normal C3a levels compared to controls, whereas patients with SLE had significantly increased levels of this marker. Patients with predominant musculoskeletal symptoms of Lyme disease and AIDS patients had significantly increased levels of C4a compared to either controls, patients with predominant neurologic symptoms of Lyme disease or SLE patients. Response to antibiotic therapy in chronic Lyme disease was associated with a significant decrease in the C4a level, whereas lack of response was associated with a significant increase in this marker. In contrast, AIDS patients had persistently increased C4a levels despite antiretroviral therapy. Lyme patients with positive single-photon emission computed tomographic (SPECT) scans had significantly lower C4a levels compared to Lyme patients with normal SPECT scan results. Patients with predominant musculoskeletal symptoms of Lyme disease have normal C3a and increased C4a levels. This pattern differs from the increase in both markers seen in acute Lyme disease, and C4a changes correlate with the response to therapy in chronic Lyme disease. C4a appears to be a valuable immunologic marker in patients with persistent symptoms of Lyme disease.

PMID: 19140878 [PubMed - in process]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah182
Member # 15774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
carly,
My c4a was almost 50,000.
I have no idea how long I've had lyme..only been sick for just over a year.
My doc is now testing me for mold issues.
My number did drop in half after about 4 months of treatment.
I'd like to know more answers about this test too.
My LLMD told me mine is one of the highest he'd seen all year.
You're the only one I've come across that has numbers as high as mine!!

Posts: 86 | From new york | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I've been without a computer for the last couple of days so I wasn't keeping an eye on this thread the way I wanted to.

Asus, mold isn't an issue for me --I'm fairly confident of that. I moved last year, and had both houses inspected for mold as part of the sale / purchase. There was none in either.

That has me covered for the past 10 years.

Sarah, it's encouraging that your numbers came down so drastically.

I, too would like to know if there is anything that is indicated by such high numbers.

Or, perhaps the question is: Is it known what such high numbers indicate, other than the presence of infection / inflammation?

The article Lou cites would support the fact the chronic lyme is present and that it has responded well to treatment.

Lou, I've always thought my symptoms were mainly arthritic, but I'm finding out lately that I have significant neurological involement.

It's like another piece in this lyme puzzle that doesn't really fit quite right.

Elle, [lol]

...As for symptoms...and grapefruits...
Some of these heavy, juicy grapefruits have been removed from my dumptruck, and I can smell the pineapple.

In other words... Now that I've been treating the ehrlichia, symptoms of babs have been popping up "out of nowhere". I wouldn't have guessed that one--until now, that is.

Tincup said...
quote:

I wasn't a teacher.

I'm just nuts.

quote:

Well, I'm not a teacher, either!!
Tincup
Member # 5829

Excuse me? HELLO??? Anybody home upstairs little girl?

I think you must have broken your fingers or you just have a really bad Lyme brain today.

???

You said... "Tincup said... I wasn't a teacher. I'm just nuts."

Then YOU said... "Well, I'm not a teacher, either!!"

NOW! As I stand here with my hands on my hips giving you that glare... I must say....

Did you want to finish that last line missy... or will I have to finish it for you?

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

LOL!!!! Too Funny!!

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement