LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can the doctors tell if you are on antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can the doctors tell if you are on antibiotics?
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if there was a test that could tell if you are on them or not.

I started to be honest with my primary doctor, but now I get why you can't be!

Other than pulling your pharmacy records, is there another way to tell?

Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....I'm relatively sure that a lot of doctors couldn't tell if you had a broken leg or not.

Tell them what you want...doctors aren't authority figures, they're contractors you hire to fix stuff.

Charlie (never cynical) [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! Charlie's got it! FUNNY ONE!

[lol]

And yes they do have blood tests that measure the levels of certain antibiotics.

Rather than not tell, can you just get a new doc and dump the duck?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
charlie [lol]

I'm pretty sure they would have to know what abx you were on in order to test blood levels. Check your lab slips to make sure they aren't testing for abx levels.

That said, I'm with TC. Dump him and find someone who will support you or at least if they don't, keep their opinions to themselves.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be nice if I could keep my current local doctor because she knows my history and if I didn't have lyme I would consider her a great doctor. She actually calls you back and her office is across the street from my work . . . it helps because I have no energy. Just a lazy lymie excuse I guess.

I don't think I'll find another local doc unless I lie about taking abx. As if having this isn't hard enough!

Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually just say I am taking so and so for a sinus infection/bladder infection/etc.

That way I am not exactly lying....or so I tell myself.

I never worry about someone checking my blood for antibiotic levels.

Just want to make sure I am not going to be Rx'd something that may interact.

I don't tell all. Just the important ones.

Then I usually ask what type of blood work is being done.

Mostly docs pull for a CBC.

If the doc orders a test you don't want, tell him.

You don't have to do what they tell you to.

(They don't know that).

When I bring my children in for a current illness,

And the pediatrician finds something, I usually ask what med would cover it.

If it is amoxil then I am good as my children take that daily.

If something else, I stop the amoxil, start the new med,

Then resume the amoxil when the treatment is finished.

That way I don't over lap.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried educating her on Lyme Disease and telling her that she's a fool if she doesn't consider -- given the immense controversy politically and scientifically, that she may very well have her head up her *** and be wrong?

Try giving her a copy of Under Our Skin. Tell her it's "Homework" -- You're her boss, so.... tell her to watch it and to learn. Maybe then she'll be able to see clearly. That's usually the case when your view isn't being impaired by the walls of your own rectum.

P.M. me, we'll talk about the video.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that the situation with your doctor works out, but in the meantime what I would suggest is that you use one pharmacy for all your meds if you do not tell your doctor about all your meds. Some meds used to combat Lyme can have large effects on other meds, both abx and other types.
Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell them.

Why lie?

I tell every doctor what I take,

maybe I could help someone else to get a diagnosis,

by letting those darn swedish docs that this disease is

FOR REAL.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed primary doctors in order to be able to be honest about my lyme treatment. I called a clinic and asked for a doctor that would be open to me working with someone prescribing alternative medicines.

The nice scheduler thought a minute and then scheduled me -- when I showed up I came clean to the new doc and she was unperturbed! Whew!

So now I have my great LLMD and a primary doc who is also supportive. [woohoo]

--------------------
Judy G.

Posts: 122 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Thanks for all you help. I have some scary neurological episodes and feel like I am dying or having a stroke. I have explosive headaches too. I often think I should go to the hospital, but usually don't. If I went every time something scary happens, I would be there every other week. All the test and MRI's have come back normal.

The first thing my local doctor does is blame my symptoms on my antibiotics. SO frustrating. Says I need to stop freaking out. Calls LLMD's treatments "irresponsible and dangerous"

I am just sick of having no one on my side, just my LLMD 500 miles away, who clearly says that he won't be a PCP.

I am also a bad liar. Just need to vent!

Anybody know of a compassionate PCP in Chicago?

If I don't have a convienent local doctor on my side I have to be thankful for what I have:
A job and the ability to work
A compassionate employer
Health insurance

Just have to hope for the best.

Thanks everyone

HollyM
Member # 15386

I gave her a copy of under our skin, but she still won't go along.
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tell my regular doctor all about my Lyme treatment. I also gave him a copy of Under Our Skin.

If you are going to go to a doctor, they do need to know what meds you are on in order to treat you with the best of their ability, however little that may be.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Holly,

you said: "I gave her a copy of under our skin, but she still won't go along."

I'd ask the office manager to mail that DVD back to you. At $40 a pop, you should have that back.

======

And, oh, if you are taking abx sort of on your own, you need to have liver protection first in place. NAC is one of the best. Milk Thistle, too, to protect your liver from lyme toxins and also from certain meds.

You also need prevention regarding yeast (candida). Probiotics may not be enough but Olive Leaf Extract is a good one to add to that.

This books helps explain all this - and more:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement