LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Went to the eye doctor.... what a waste!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Went to the eye doctor.... what a waste!!!
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 13 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All:

I just recently went to the eye doctor for an eye exam because my vision has been getting really bad....from the Lyme/coinfections.

They put me through 3 hours of testing and found nothing. Just before going into the appointment I wrote down all my medical information, like ususal.

I kept noticing the doctor reading my medical information and was baffled about the fact that I had put down "disabled by Chronic Lyme, Bartonella, and Babesia... before the disease I had 15/20 vision.

They were getting really frustrated with me because I kept failing all of the eye tests... like I was doing it on purpose. Im guessing the reason they were getting mad was the fact that Im 23 years old.

To make a long story short the doc had told me there was nothing she could do... glasses/contacts would not help my situation, but I beg to differ.... anyone agree with me?

I bet if I didn't write anything on the medical form, I would have walked out with glasses/contacts... The medical world really is clueless about this disease!!!! [confused]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can definitely relate to what you are dealing with.

I was on the other side. I went to the eye doctor before I had a diagnosis but I wasn't walking properly so they expected I was going to find out it was M.S.

But with that, I told them my eyes were bouncing all over the place from day to day but I had no diagnosis yet.

So basically I was given a glasses perscription and I said but it will be different tomorrow. I swear I think he thought I was making it up.

By the time the glasses came in, they weren't even CLOSE to anything I could use, so it was a total waste of money.

And no, the eye doctor didn't find anything wrong in my eyes either. I guess that is good, but yes, some just aren't very in tune with illnesses that could effect the eyes.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for replying... Im just curious if contacts/glasses would help... Although I doubt it!

Thanks Again

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been through the same thing. My vision bounces all over the place, from being like usual to being so bad I can't focus on anything near or far.

Now my eyes have been screwed up since I was born--lazy eye that was never dealt with, then my eyesight started weakening in my early teens, so my vision has always been a little touchy.

But anyway, things started going really haywire about 7 months ago, with the difficulty in focusing and my right pupil dilating abnormally.

I went to 2 optometrists and an ophthamologist, and no one could really find anything despite running test after test. The last optometrist I did see was at least somewhat Lyme literate, so he was willing to admit that the problems may be Lyme related.

He didn't think a change in my lenses was going to solve anything long-term; I needed to get to the bottom of what was causing the problems.

Now, someone on here had suggested mangosteen juice to me. I haven't been able to get any yet--my husband is laid off and we now have no income and no insurance, so I'm having to really watch the expenditures.

But you might want to do a search on here for that.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worn glasses since I was in first grade, and every year my eyes get worse. Now that I'm older, the worsening is much slower.

However, in December, my vision really started to get bad. Jumpy, blurry, etc. I think part of this is that I really do need a new glasses prescription (my current one is 1.5 years old).

However, my LLMD said that it would probably be a good idea to wait a couple of months before going to an eye doctor and paying $$$ because at this stage in my treatment the Lyme is likely to be causing part of my problems.

I remember in Cure Unknown, the author said that her vision was completely different from day to day. She had a drawer full of off-the-rack glasses from the drugstore and would just pull out whatever she needed for that day.

I can't do that, really, since my vision is naturally horrible (20/2500), so I'm just holding fast until the major changes stablize.

Then I'll update my prescription, and hope it lasts for at least a year or so.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie68
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie68     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vision has been all over the map. I suspeccted Lyme to be the culprit so I haven.t gotten them checked. looks like I saved some bucks. Thanks for your comments. [Smile]
Posts: 51 | From Reno, NV | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea guys thanks a bunch

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worn glasses / contacts since I was 11.

My vision is bouncing all over the place, too.

It's from lyme. Or co's. Whatever.

My prescription hasn't changed in 10 years.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't say it's a waste to have an eye exam, though.

You know there are no eye problems.

At least you know that what your experiencing is actually from lyme.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Carly:

I was just curious to see if glasses/contacts would improve my vision...just a little bit... Thanks for the response!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme has a big effect on the eyes and like the others said one's vision can change daily, ability to focus, see clearly etc. It was smart to go to

the eye doctor to know that nothing serious is wrong. Lyme and co infections can cause inflammation of the eye and serious problems, so now you have a baseline exam and

know that nothing serious is wrong. I always suspected that it is the spirochetes eating at the nerves and also all the inflammation that comes along with the illness. We know the chetes love the cranial nerves.

I would agree with the others that glasses probably would not help but if you could find an LLMD eye doctor that would be your best approach to see him/her during your illness from time to time.

They, of course, have a greater understanding about what they see in your eyes and how to interpret your symptoms. Do get your eyes checked from time to time to be safe, as the inflammation that Lyme

causes can bring on "real" eye problems over time and you want to be on top of that if it should occur.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Abxnomore:

Thanks for the response.... I wont be going to another exam for a long long time.... I ahve trouble seeing as it is and they dialated my pupils! I couldnt see anything... I was walking into people and chairs. lol.. thanks again!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not wise not to ever go back. Lyme can cause big trouble for your eyes. Potential glaucoma, cataracts, permanent loss of vision, problems of a very serious nature.

Any proper eye exam involves dilation of the eyes, especially if you are seeing a doc for the first time. It's standard procedure, so they can see into the back of your eye. Wearing sun glasses afterward helps a great deal, until the dilation wears off.

If you want to keep your vision I would suggest that you have regular visits with your eye doctor, including having a visual field test, most especially while you are being treated for Lyme.

Good luck and try to find a LLMD eye doc. I can fully appreciate how tired one gets going to all these doctor's appointments. It seems like it never ends [cussing]

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Yea I will be going back... i have to because Im on Plaquenil....

Beside the Chronic Lyme/Bart/Babs Im on a bunch of meds....

Iv Clindamycin 1800mg Day, 10mg Valium 2x day, 1mg Klonopin as needed,Plaquenil 400mg 2x day, coreg 12.5 mg 2x a day, nexium 40mg 2x day, Vit D 1,000 I.U. daily, Mepron, and Zithromax....

so as you can see my medicine chest is full.... but Plaquenil calls for regular base line eye exams every so often... Thanks again!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kreynolds,

There is a Lyme Literate opthamologist in Westchester. The doctor has had lyme herself and knows about the effects on the eye. And they do LOTS of testing. PM me, if you want the info for a later date.

She said that 25% of what I was experiencing was from LD (an extrapolation from her experience I'm sure). However, the doc did recommend laser surgery for part of my problem, which I'm not hot on!

The vision problems are unbelievably difficult and frustrating. Esp not know how much of it is LD, and how much is getting older. :-(

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vision issues have really been driving me nuts for the past month.

It seems all my other symptoms have either calmed down or gone away, but my vision is deteriorating quickly.

I even notice a loss of vision in my lazy eye, which you know has to be bad.

Some days it's just an inability to focus, others it's floaters and flashing lights.

Today I swear I felt like I have a cataract--I tried closing one eye at a time, and things with my left eye looked either darker or cloudy compared to my right eye.

I set an appt for Saturday, of course my regualr eye doctor won't be in, but at least I'll be seeing someone. my regular doctor is at least sympathetic to what I was going through last yeasr, even if she didn't understand what it was.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea,

I am having the same trouble with that.

My son has an eye appt this week to update script and get new frames for school, but he just started a new therapy.

I want to see if his vision improves with the new meds, but do need a recheck as it has been a year....

what to do-

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interested in the laser. If anyone has got

them out of there this way with noted improvement

let me know. But I thought all this time it was

just neuro.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vision changes daily or even hourly. If I keep the inflammation and toxins under control I can go for long periods where my vision is stable.

It may be a different cause for some. My ND was losng her vision due to lyme disease. She went on some pretty hefty steroids in order to save her vision but treatment is what saved it in the long run.

Make sure you are binding the toxins and keeping inflammation down.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a top neuro-opthalmologist who did all the tests and couldn't find anything wrong, even tho he had to anesthetize my eyes for me to be able to look at light.

I fixed all eye symptoms when I started drinking mangosteen juice the next day, suggested to me by my chiropractor. It's an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant juice from Thailand/VietNam.

Within an hour, eye muscle pain lessened.

24 hours later, no more blurred vision, and light sensitivity had greatly reduced.

I still drink it, with these effects. I get the Ultra mangosteen brand, with 70 minerals added.

There are lots of brands in healthfood stores, online, and the strongest is Xango, sold multilevel.

If you try it, go slowly, and drink water too, as it can be powerful.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kreynolds,

I believe that corrective lenses only work if there is a corresponding defect in your eye lens. ie. your lens is concave, convex or wavy (astigmatic)

If your eye lens is properly shaped corrective lenses won't help you. There will be nothing to correct. The optics are pretty cut and dried. It's mathematical.

Eye drs really just look at the mechanics eye and the lens. That's probably why they got frustrated. They couldn't find a physical reason for your vision problems.

We hear this so many times. The drs can't find something obviously wrong so they assume the patients are faking their symptoms, or crazy.

My guess is that your vision problems is less from your eye than with the nerve connections from your eye to your brain. Or maybe your the optic center of your brain.

Hopefully, continued treatment will steady your vision.

Good Luck,

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement