LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Writer Gets It Right in Wisconsin! WOW!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Writer Gets It Right in Wisconsin! WOW!
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once in a while a writer gets it right! Please read the following article from the Luck, Wisconsin Enterprise.

If you get a chance, click on the link below to send an email thankyou to Lynda Berg for her article. Type in "Lynda Berg" or "Lyme disease article" in the subject box. Notes, cards, or letters wouldn't hurt either!

A few words of thanks can make someone's day and letting her know this article is being read across the country can be more recognition than she can ever imagine.

By the way, Lynda Berg told me that she feels the media has a responsibility to the public to write the truth. If only all writers were committed to accurate reporting!

We've got to praise good Lyme writing wherever it's found, but here in the seat of Lyme disease hostility, the importance and impact of this article can't be underestimated.

Lyme Disease: an expose on a terrifying epidemic
By Lynda C. Berg

While very few people in this neck of the woods are unfamiliar with Lyme disease, a tick-borne illness that is sweeping the country at epidemic proportions, diagnosis is still sketchy, at best.

The presentation of the highly acclaimed, multi-award-winning film, Under Our Skin, at the Luck Library/Museum last Thursday night, was a wake-up call of extreme proportions, full of frightening statistics.

The film follows seven subjects whose stories of physical and emotional pain, and astronomical expense involved in diagnosis (or, more aptly, the lack thereof) are simply horrifying.

A main thrust of the film is in exposing the corruption of the medical system, at the behest of insurance companies. The 103-minute film is the result of four years of work and 375 hours of footage.

One of the scariest statistics is that the Centers for Disease Control admit that more than 200,000 people may acquire Lyme disease each year (more than AIDS, West Nile Virus and Avian Flu combined), making it the fastest growing infectious disease in the country. The big problem is that tens of thousands of people go undiagnosed.

Lyme disease is difficult to test for accurately. It is caused by the bite of an infected deer tick with the Lyme-causing spiral-shaped bacteria, Borrelia burgdorferi, similar to the microorganism that causes syphilis.

According to a recent John Hopkins study, the testing procedure for Lyme misses 75 percent of positive Lyme cases. For this reason, tests should play only a supportive role in diagnosis.
Up to 59 percent of Lyme cases do not present with the ``bullseye'' rash and even 14 - 21 day antibiotic treatment results in a 26 to 50 percent failure rate.

Transmission of Lyme disease can also happen in utero from an infected mother to a fetus through the placenta during pregnancy. This can apparently cause stillbirth and other complications.

It is also believed (though not conclusively proven at this point) that Lyme can be transmitted sexually.

Early symptoms of Lyme can include fever, headache, fatigue and sometimes the ``bullseye'' skin rash. As the disease progresses, symptoms can include joint inflammation, a stiff neck, sleep problems, shooting pains, numbness or tingling in hands and/or feet, and problems with concentration and short term memory.

Many if not most Lyme cases are misdiagnosed. The film really brought this point home. One subject was told, ``There's no medicine for someone like you.'' She was told that she was just looking for attention. This was not an isolated incidence.

Many subjects with Lyme are thought of as simply lazy. Some of the most common misdiagnoses include: chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's and ALS.

Several doctors' journeys with Lyme disease were also chronicled in the film. One doctor, a pathologist at a regional hospital in Long Island, New York, has been researching the disease out of his makeshift laboratory in his basement for the last 25 years. That research shows connections between Lyme disease and neurodegenerative disease, as well as the role of maternal-fetal transmission.

Others, advocating the long-term antibiotic approach, while successful with patients, have been literally forced out of practice by insurance companies like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, who filed suit to recoup fees paid for what they called ``unauthorized treatment.''

Marina Andrews, leader of the Western Wisconsin Lyme Action Group, (who also sponsored the screening of Under Our Skin Thursday night), cautioned, ``A lot of patients when they get on antibiotic therapy for Lyme disease get worse before they get better.''

Andrews said some patients get very frightened [by increased or new symptoms]and then stop their treatment. She stated that this is a reaction that has been noted since 1895, when they tried to treat people with syphilis, another spirochete bacteria, like Lyme disease.
``Anyone with Lyme disease should be warned about that,'' she said.

Ledger Publications
105 Main Street
P.O. Box 129
Balsam Lake, WI 54810
715-485-3121 phone
715-485-3037 fax
[email protected]

Publishers of the Polk County Ledger, St. Croix Falls Standard Press, Luck Enterprise Press and The Laker

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoot!

How do I make the email addy link work?

It's [email protected]

Can someone help? Or will it work now?

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mo, i bet your need .com on end!

i know my own email name sometimes loses the .com on it now and then.

try that; wonderful, informative article..

just edit it by clicking on pencil to open up subject line and TEXT add .com to it.

BUT try sending a note 1st so your know if it is correct or not ok my friend! that's my best bet! [Smile]

totally agree to write and thank her!! i will later...swamped now. then nap time since i got up early today!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Betty.

I just called and [email protected] is the right email addy. I don't know how to highlight it in blue so people can respond.

So glad you liked the article!

Can someone help?

richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needs to be in every paper nation wide.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needs to be in every paper nationwide!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Thanks richedie. Do you think I should send it to Open Eye?
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly a spot on article! I'm sending it to everyone I know.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

mo, yes, send it to open eye; they'll add it to their news archive!! [Smile]
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Thanks! I did send it to Open Eye. I should probably send them the actual article with photos and all. Maybe they can scan it in. What do you think?

Please help keep this up. So few writers call a spade a spade in Lyme.

How many sprinkle their commentary with words like epidemic, frightening, etc?

richedie
Member # 14689

quote:
Originally posted by mjo:
Thanks richedie. Do you think I should send it to Open Eye?

What is Open Eye?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a cabin not far from Luck where I got a tick bite with a rash almost 2 years ago - it was probably not a first bite(been sick for 25 years).

I'm amazed when I talk to people in the area I get comments like, "It's just Lyme, Elichiosis, etc. Doc gave me, my son, a prescription now we are fine!"

This is literally Tick heaven in WI! I'm glad that it is in the paper so more people will hopefully believe there is more to Lyme.

At a local church this winter they had a prayer request time. It is a very small country church - maybe a hundred people. Two people had had pacemakers put in the previous week, and a couple more asked for prayer for relatives with heart electrical issues.

I have mentioned chronic Lyme etc. to several people but I don't think it registers. Yea for the article!

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluhaslyme
Member # 13201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluhaslyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the article that you need, Rich?
Posts: 24 | From co | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

rich,

open eye pictures co. produced recent UNDER OUR SKIN almost 2 hr. lyme documentary by andy abrahamson wilson!

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Faith6!

Yup. It's like talking to the moon here in Wisconsin. So much denial and hostility, you cannot imagine. . .

Our meeting notices are continually taken down from bulletin boards all around the area even though they have a bright sticker attached to them that says, "Please leave posted permanently! Thanks."

The St. Croix River Valley is Ground Zero for Lyme disease and co-infections, yet I bet 99% of doctors here have never even heard of Bartonella or Babesia.

Funny how Lyme was studied in Wisconsin in the early days but now it's a "disappeared disease."

Some people do get well when treated right away, but those who don't often don't relate lingering symptoms to Lyme and their doctors sure aren't going to mention that the problems they have are from PERSISTENT LYME DISEASE INFECTION! (After all we've been told point blank that they can "get in trouble" for treating Lyme disease.)

I just spent the morning printing medical abstracts for a woman (from a local church) whose husband is now wheelchair-bound with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) after having Lyme disease six months ago. The cardiologist told her "Lyme can't do that to the heart."

I've seen cardiologists in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Lyme isn't in the realm of possibility for their "practice" of medicine.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent article.

The kind that has the Worm digging further underground after seeing it!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mo,

i finally wrote them ....

Big thank you goes to writer Lynda Berg for attending the recent lyme disease documentary, UNDER OUR SKIN.

I'm so glad you left there learning a lot what we chronic lyme patients go thru from beginning to the end, and this endless POLITICAL WAR!

Also, there is a 3rd spirochete disease, sarcoidosis of the lungs. Symptoms are very close between lyme and sarcoidosis.

All 50 states have lyme disease and statistics can be found here:

1980 - Jan. 2008 ...all 50 states broken down by years!

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Betty note: I tried printing out the chart, but it goes SIDEWAYS, and tried printing in pages 1, 2, 3; it kept printing page 1 only! So just a warning if others try to do this; use your PRINT REVIEW FIRST which I did, and indicated DIFFERENT pages, but still got page 1 only! I gave up after 8 tries! uffda [Smile]

Lynda, thanks for going and for writing publicly about lyme disease and all you learned from this very educational dvd!

Wisc. is prime for ticks and in top 10 states! Iowa was no. 15 in 2005 statistics!!

Best wishes to Wisconsin residents to learn the symptoms for lyme, DRESS to prevent them, and have their young kids wearing SHOES AND SOCKS when outside especially in the summer.

It's not worth their health to get this God-awful, dibilitating disease that sometimes goes on for years.

I've had chronic lyme 39 years; 34.5 MISDIAGNOSED by 40-50 drs!! So many things wrong with my body it isn't even funny!!

Betty G

backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the email address can be linked like this:

[email protected]

(just add [EMAIL] [/EMAIL] around the address)

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Hey Back,

How did you do that? THANKS!

Thanks Betty for emailing or writing. Tinny, did you send a note too?

Hard to imagine the impact of this film in We-Don't-Have-Lyme-Here Wisconsin!

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

So, use these brackets [email] [/email] like this?

I was so excited to see that you had put the link addy to Lynda Berg at the Luck Enterprise that I didn't read the rest of your post until I got back to you Back here! Thanks!

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement